Latics/Money/Athletic ground

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
thegimble

Re: Latics/Money/Athletic ground

Post by thegimble »

ragman wrote:The stadium is not an asset of wafc. It belongs to Stadco, who lease it to both clubs. Obviously if wafc do go into administration, then Stadco is in trouble, which might be a chance to buy the stadium at a song.
And we get saddled with a debt. If Wafc can not run the stadium with bigger financial muscle than us then we should never buy it even on the cheap.

We should be looking what we can do next door and develop that. Sounds to me that DW is starting to plead poverty and wamts us to offset some loses occurred with the fall of the Latics.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I never quite understood why they built something that is fairly imposing,at the time of it construction it was a pipe dream to get latics into the premier league,I sort of lost interest in sport at that time,the kids were growing fast and twins don't come cheap sadly,so it sort of appeared on the horizon after a period of time.

Other new grounds in places that aren't a football hotbed seem to be on less grand scale and while I'm sure they too cost a decent amount to run etc.

On the subject of a new gound,if a fairy godmother could be found to finance it the council would be duty bound surely to ok the plans as its regeneration etc and even if they turned him down an appeal could be lodged which would surely win as the current government is hell bent on building on everything bar a sandpit at the moment.

But that's all ifs and buts.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

There was a thread about the Latics being sold to some Chinese "business men" in the coming weeks from somewhere in this site. Sorry I can't find it!

Crux is that apparently they want the Warriors out of the DW

Lease - bah humbug. Want us out within two years

These "business men" have no interest whatsoever in RL and want to see the stadium as sole use for their intention of promoting/boosting their profile with an English soccer team aiming at least for Division 1 within the Chinese tv markets
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:There was a thread about the Latics being sold to some Chinese "business men" in the coming weeks from somewhere in this site. Sorry I can't find it!

Crux is that apparently they want the Warriors out of the DW

Lease - bah humbug. Want us out within two years

These "business men" have no interest whatsoever in RL and want to see the stadium as sole use for their intention of promoting/boosting their profile with an English soccer team aiming at least for Division 1 within the Chinese tv markets
The Warriors had a 25 year lease which commenced in 1999 and have the option of a 25 year extension so, if true and I don't think it is, it would cost them a pretty penny to get us out! Without the Warriors the DW would be making a big loss.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

Remember ,Wigan MBC own a slice of the DW.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jao 711 wrote:Remember ,Wigan MBC own a slice of the DW.
They do of course but if the Chinese deal comes off then I’ll bet they’ll want control of the DW and given how strapped councils are it may be time to cash in maybe?

All deals can be broken,for the right price of course.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Could be good for the club, offer to give up the remainder of the tenancy and the option to extend for a nice big fat wad of cash which can be put into the development of our home at the Athletic ground, £10m would be a drop in the ocean for a consortium of Chinese Billionaires :cool:
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

fozzieskem wrote:
They do of course but if the Chinese deal comes off then I’ll bet they’ll want control of the DW and given how strapped councils are it may be time to cash in maybe?

. Yes indeed but if there is grant money involved then conditions may apply.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jao 711 wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:

. Yes indeed but if there is grant money involved then conditions may apply.
Oh I agree Jao,but lets be fair we all know if there's a will there's a way round these things