Shaun Edwards

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Brad5926

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by Brad5926 »

Edwards to Wigan ..... UNTRUE

Coming from a close friend of SE
Wes

Post by Wes »

Yep had this put to bed also, Edwards is not happening.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

He will come back one day
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

PaulC wrote:
ddtftf wrote:If passion won matches Wane would be a brilliant coach, but sadly it does not, our attack and attacking structure is terrible
Im not saying its great, but its hardly terrible (frustrating to watch perhaps) but with 104 Tries, with only Salford and Cas ahead on 109 and 134, there are certainly worse teams out there.....

I think what is worse this year, is those tight games that we won last year have ended in a draw or narrow loss this year, mainly down to defence.

We do need an attacking coach though, if only to keep up with Cas
Taking a guess but over a third of them tries scored by an academy players in their debut season too?

Its not been an enjoyable season on the whole so far. But nobody else in this league gets anywhere near where we have given our circumstances.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

OAMJSON wrote:He will come back one day
One day will be too far.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I'd be very surprised if Edwards was given the head coach job at Wigan now or in the future straight out of a job in RU nor do I think he would want it.

He doesn't strike me as someone who thinks he would automatically be able to do the job after so many years away from RL despite the fact I am sure he watches plenty of games. With his son older now I would not be surprised if he did leave RU that he went to Oz as an assistant NRL coach to learn the ropes again and pick up new ideas from down under before accepting a coaching job here.

Mind you we could do with someone doing that whether it's him or not as it's all gone very stale.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A pity McNamara signed at Catalan.
Wire could have hired him if he'd been available.
It's a shame is that!
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

PorterjohLam wrote:I will never understand some people's obsession with Edwards coaching us given he hasn't been in RL in years.
Niether will I this is someone who has taken everything from rl gave him an illustrious carreer who turned his back on it and gave not one iota back as I see it a matter of got what I wanted sòd you lot money to be made in ru stay there and good riddance lost all respect for him sold rl out.
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

PorterjohLam wrote:I will never understand some people's obsession with Edwards coaching us given he hasn't been in RL in years.
I have said this so many times, yet people persist in wanting him back at Wigan.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

PorterjohLam wrote:It seems very 'he was here in the glory days' - which is not what Wigan's about. We should be about the best man for the job - not the biggest name, or the sentimental choice.

Also, how people think a Rugby Union defensive coach who hasn't been in RL in 18 years is going to come up with these wonderful attacking structures I have no idea.
As to your last point given he is of a similar vintage to Wane but was a half back I'd suggest regardless of what he has been doing in the intervening years he'd make a better shot of sorting the attack out than ex-prop Wane.

Whether that is good enough in 2017 is another matter hence my suggestion earlier if he did return to RL he'd go off to Oz first to get clued up.

I think the "obsession" with Edwards is nothing to do with sentiment or past glories but his perceived attitude to professionaL sport. He was relentless as a player and is demanding as a coach. You might say Wane is as well but I think people also view Edward's as being a million times smarter than Wane will ever be. Which is also why I think he'd go and learn the ropes as an assistant. He's not daft enough to assume he could just do the top job just like that. If he did come back here without doing as I suggest he'd at least be smart enough to surround himself with a good set of assistants. Unlike Wane.