Club want to make two signings

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
fozzieskem

Re: Club want to make two signings

Post by fozzieskem »

jao711 wrote:It amazes me how many people speculate on the value of players contracts.Wouldn’t surprise me if the players don’t have that information.Agents do the business and Isuspect they keep the figures to themselves and the player involved.
Quite,its all guesswork of peoples behalf and frankly its no ones business but the player, agent and the club.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote:
jao711 wrote:It amazes me how many people speculate on the value of players contracts.Wouldn’t surprise me if the players don’t have that information.Agents do the business and Isuspect they keep the figures to themselves and the player involved.
Quite,its all guesswork of peoples behalf and frankly its no ones business but the player, agent and the club.
Not true.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We have two marquee players. Many clubs don't have one, and I don't believe any have two. Just a bit of devil's advocate to the idea that we have no investment or ambition.

At the start of last season we thought our squad was good enough to win everything. The squad has hardly changed so how come they've all of a sudden become relegation candidates? I think there's some who need to bring themselves off the edge. Although, it isn't all rosy. It would be good to sign someone that will make a big difference if we can, it would be great if we got an improvement in our style of play and it would be marvellous if we could more consistently select from our best 17-20 players each week. We aren't relegation fodder laughing stocks, nor are we treble favourites - the truth lies somewhere between, and I'd suggest closer to the latter given we're joint second favourites with the bookies for both SL & CC.
I see the marquee players we have as a continuation of the failed policy of IL's on player retention, not a sign of ambition. We only got Sam back when we agreed to make in a marquee player. No thought of could the money be spent on a better player.

With Williams, he was given the status to prevent him leaving. His agent played a blinder. He may come good but he was just too inexperienced for that status.

So for me the fact we have two marquee players who are anything but marquee players in terms of the standard of RL they have served up since being given that position is not a sign of ambition but another example of the obsession with bringing back or retaining players.

I don't think we are relegation fodder and that is because if we are more fortunate with injuries I can't see us losing enough games to out us in that position.

As to our squad at the start of last season being good enough win everything that was exposed as false. Now you are saying with essentially the same squad we are a mid table side. I'd agree with you on that but that but if this next year we are mid-table we were last (as proved to be the case). Last season's optimism was misguided and us being mid-table is an issue that needs to be addressed.

As far as I can see nothing much has been done to address the issues and the club is by their actions of not improving the squad basically saying it was all down to the injuries. That can be the only logical conclusion of not improving the team with some seriously good players. Wane has mentioned experimenting with half backs and we have a goal kicking coach but that is it as far as I can see.

If the club does not lack ambition then it is guilty of complaceancy. It thinks injury free the squad and coach are good enough. I don't think either is the case.

IMO our best chance of success will be the cup again with an easy set of draws en-route to the final.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Nice summary DaveO. I don't see how things will be much different this season other than, hopefully,fewer injuries. One untested signing and a kicking coach (much needed) isn't going to solve all our problems. We're hoping that Waney may try Sam at 6 but will he really? Even if he does we then don't have a back up at fullback if Morgan gets injured (unless we're preparing one of the young wingers to fill in). The only signing that we may still make would be a replacement for Gells if we need one, hardly planning ahead. We can't seem to get rid of FPN and Mickey now seems likely to stay so there's no room on the cap to make major changes. Without a new attacking coach can Waney himself bring about the changes in style that we need?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The slow issue of shirt numbers leaves us thinking there may be signings. Not much to cling to but all we've got!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Maybe its because they are waiting to announce " Who is going " mmm
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Yup, perhaps dd some have to go before signings can be made.
Pretty normal state of affairs really.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Is the the first wait for an announcement of an announcement of the new season?
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Hock not on Wigan radar but i still think Gelling will go to NZ Warriors mmmmm
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ddtftf wrote:Hock not on Wigan radar but i still think Gelling will go to NZ Warriors mmmmm
Sorry for Wigan to be even mentioned with Hock shows stunning lack of ambition on behalf of the club,at one time of the day yes he’d be a sound signing but not now