Club want to make two signings

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Club want to make two signings

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
DaveO wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: There will be many changes in 2019.
Why 2019? I can only assume you mean a number of payers are off contract. Given the age of some of them change in 2019 is inevitable so really nothing to get excited about as in the club having some master plan.
Yes, there are plenty out of contract and some will retire.
Well I suppose the one positive thing to consider is we will have re-signed every player that ever left us so that option will have gone! Even if others leave it will be too quick to re-sign them!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Why 2019?

The club writing off next year then before “big changes” come along?

Not a fan of this coded cloak and dagger stuff meself smacks of the playground and the clever kid pretending he knows stuff.

Announce where possible the plans and leave it open to ridicule/praise if names are involved and can’t be named then so be it but put the outline of what will happen,if anything in the public domain.

Fans are p1sseed off the club has an arrogance about it at the moment towards its fans the ones who buy the shirts,season tickets etc,it needs to reengage with the public at large,I don’t think signing yet another injury prone player will help either.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Look who they signed what a bloody joke Wonder how many shirts they sell with his name on them
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The 2019 bit worries me.
Lockers then gone and we have a raft of new signings who've never played alongside each other. That doesn't sound too good to me.

Lockers' departure will need some handling the following season. He's the glue that's held this squad together for some seasons now.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote:Why 2019?

Not a fan of this coded cloak and dagger stuff meself smacks of the playground and the clever kid pretending he knows stuff.

Announce where possible the plans and leave it open to ridicule/praise if names are involved and can’t be named then so be it but put the outline of what will happen,if anything in the public domain.

Fans are p1sseed off the club has an arrogance about it at the moment towards its fans the ones who buy the shirts,season tickets etc,it needs to reengage with the public at large,I don’t think signing yet another injury prone player will help either.
At the end of next season, Joel, Tommy and Lockers may retire. Added to that several players are out of contract and probably wont sign another deal, or be offered one.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

So we'll be spending more on the coaching staff than the team?:wink:
Wish the head coach would retire!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:

At the end of next season, Joel, Tommy and Lockers may retire. Added to that several players are out of contract and probably wont sign another deal, or be offered one.
And that’s the grand plan?

Wow just staggering we could work that out ourselves mate over the aging trio and add a few ifs,buts or maybes they may as well have said nowt
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Where has the club said that they are writing off 2018? All I see them saying is that there will be a lot of player changes in 2019 as players will retire and/or be off contract. This coming year is different in that there is not a lot of wriggle room on the salary cap due to the contract situation. If they can get got rid of a couple of players ten things may yet change. As for injury prone, Sarginson missed very few games whilst he was here but picked up a serious shoulder injury after only five games in Aus. Would you say Mickey Mac was injury prone due to that one horrific injury he received in 2016.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

have the club actually played an absolute blinder here by having loads of players off contract at once so in theory a ton of players playing for either contracts here or elsewhere - a heightened level of effort in a poor team?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:have the club actually played an absolute blinder here by having loads of players off contract at once so in theory a ton of players playing for either contracts here or elsewhere - a heightened level of effort in a poor team?
I don't think so. It's just the fact that we will have around eight players who will be thirty or over in 2018, mostly in the forwards. That's most un-Wigan like I can't remember the last time it happened. I know players generally play longer now and are fitter but that's a big number and something we're not accustomed to. You just have to hope that the club get the recruitment right and the likes of Wells, Kibula, Woods etc, etc, etc come through in the same way that Williams, Burgess, Gildart, Farrell etc have done in the past.