Wigan Scouting Aussie Talent

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Wigan Scouting Aussie Talent

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Wes wrote:People moan when the NRL take our talent ....
Don't you? You might understand why they can but you are not happy about it surely?

No, its wasted energy and it will not change the situation.
People moan when we take them back .....
For the obvious reason so far none of them have come back better players, all worse though it looks like Sam T might break the clubs duck on that score which is good.

It’s an obvious route to take though when they left as good players given that we moan at no signings and relying on our academy or signing projects. Surely you can see the sense in taking that chance.
There is nothing obvious about it. I am 100% convinced we did it at first simply because IL wanted to justify letting them go in the first place which was how he tried to sell it to the fans. He couldn't wait to say so when they started coming back. I also believe it means the club looks no further. Were there really no better props or 2nd rows than Mossop and JT? Did we actually need them when they became available?

IL's justification for this was they would come back better players. They have come back having failed and the only one so far to start showing any form, never mind as better players, is ST and that is off the back of one game this season.

People moan when we try and take their talent .....
No they don't. The issue here is why invest in young Aussie players who will go back to the NRL? On the other hand if we find another George Carmont who can add some experience I'd be quite happy not least because....

Pretty sure you moaned on more than one occasion about signing Hamlin over using our own youth. He’s a talent that was recommended, people moaned none the less.
Of course I "moaned" about Hamlin. That is the point I am making! Why are we singing young Aussies when we have our own young player production line? Now Rads has openly said they can play here for a bit and go back to the NRL as better players so I am now even more opposed to his signing. He's not been signed for our long term benefit but his.
People moan when we try to have a team full of wiganers .....
The above is a pipe dream but we want the non-Wigan produced players to be ready made, not more projects.

Pipe dream or not people moan when there is a lack of signings yet surely to reach this pipe dream we need to keep promoting from within, not making signings.
No idea what you are on about. I have never believed we can have a team of all Wiganers, firmly believing in John Monies view that if you get two or three who make it from the academy you have done well. Given our academy does produce first team candidates, I see no reason to add to our academy with overseas players. If we sign from outside the club they should be to plug the gaps in the first team so (being realistic) that means players like Carmont.
Common denominator
You misunderstanding what people are complaining about.

No you think I misunderstand, that’s at your peril not mine, I couldn’t care less if you misjudge me.
It seems like running one of the biggest clubs in the world is a thankless task for those that are involved, whilst the armchair experts sit at home spouting what a bad job is being done at every turn.
When has it ever been any different? Fans have opinions on what their club does. Man City drew 1 - 1 with Burnley last week and if you looked on the Internet you'd have seen calls to sell Sterling off because he missed a sitter. Sports forums are like that. If you want to spin everything the club does as a positive that is up to you.

Be honest Dave this is one of the most negative forums I’ve been on, the whinging is from the same people time and again. I dont spin everything as a positive but surely even you can admit the club do some good stuff?
If you bothered to look, you will see I do but the prerequisite is they have to do something positive in the first place. When after one of the worst seasons I can remember (it was even more boring than 2006) little seems to have changed I am not going to assume things will be different particularly when we re-sign a poor player like Sarge. Most pundits have us down as finishing 6th or lower. They aren't being negative or anti-Wigan, just objective.

I'd like to think with Sam T at 6 or 7 we'd do better but that requires Wane to change his tactics and not obsess about giving Powell a game. If he does you will probably see me suggesting Sam T plays half back for England never mind Wigan, but I'll wait and see if he does, not assume it.
Maybe you could do a better job Dave? Why don’t you put yourself forward with a few fans off here and attempt a Salford style take over?
Here we go again with the mind-numbingly stupid ad-hominem argument. You don't need to be a chef to offer an opinion on whether the chef has cooked the food well. Why don't you ask me when I am applying for the coaches job? Did you forget that one?
Don’t let your arrogance shine through Dave, your a mod and should lead by example its a shame you do not.
Give over. I'm not the one attacking the posters credibility (as opposed to addressing the posters argument) by suggesting they apply for the job of running the club or coaching it. If I had a penny for everytime someone uses that as a come back, I'd be rich. No idea what being a mod has got to do with objecting to that line of response either.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
medlocke wrote:J Lomax, P Ah Van, J Carney, T Carney

As for the Aussie youngsters, treat them like our own, give them an initial contract with clauses and options for extensions etc, it's not rocket science
How many of those were available at the time our guys returned?

Their youngsters are already better paid so it would need to be rocket science!
Everybody is available, Surely you should know that Mr Lenagan, after all you did sell some of our players mid contract :thum:
I do Mr Ah Van. I am glad the possibilities you listed are always injury free. Which one would I play at centre? :conf:
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Lomax, P Ah Van, J Carney, T Carney

I nearly took you serious for a minute .....
Good one :D :D
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
medlocke wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: How many of those were available at the time our guys returned?

Their youngsters are already better paid so it would need to be rocket science!
Everybody is available, Surely you should know that Mr Lenagan, after all you did sell some of our players mid contract :thum:
I do Mr Ah Van. I am glad the possibilities you listed are always injury free. Which one would I play at centre? :conf:
:lol: well Ian it would have to be J Carney for centre obviously :wink:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wane is clearly trying to spin a potentially bad story about Bateman leaving, though myself I think he's hit a ceiling at the club he needs to go somewhere else to perhaps fulfil his true potential he's clearly a crowd favourite and the club are trying to manage the fallout for once ahead of it happening, and I think it's a good thing in that respect.

Like it or not the super league is clearly down the pecking order in terms of money, popularity and some would say skill and spectacle watch I don't blame players wanting to go over and try their hand, even now very few make the grade, most as Wigan know all too well return within a year or two a shadow of the player they once where, ready with a quote about how they missed home, the game, the weather, coronation street none admitting that the game is too tough over there for them, for all the reasons I state but also that the player in question simply isn't good enough for the NRL.

So Wigan are to look to bring younger kids over rather than established stars, thats all well and good but whats the point really if Orrell is as good as Wigan thinks it is surely it doesn't need to bring kids over?

My opinion is simple you leave Wigan thats all good with me,just don't expect a comfy return when it all goes pear shape, sport shouldn't be like that, when players return they're older more often than not injured more than before they left it makes no sense to spend good money on wages on players who've left look to the future as my old mum always said,"you should never go back",its a saying I live my life by.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I can't disagree with much fozzie says, but we are where we are, and the club has to make the best of it. I can't see that looking for young Aussie talent is a bad thing, whatever Academy options we may have. If we got two or three good years out of Gabe Hamlin in SL, and he then went on to make it in the NRL, would that be a bad thing?
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Looking for young Aussie talent is a good policy but something tells me that any promising players would allready have been snapped up within the NRL.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote:I can't disagree with much fozzie says, but we are where we are, and the club has to make the best of it. I can't see that looking for young Aussie talent is a bad thing, whatever Academy options we may have. If we got two or three good years out of Gabe Hamlin in SL, and he then went on to make it in the NRL, would that be a bad thing?
would rather have 4 or 5 good years
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

Wes wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:Wes
You are happy nurturing players for the NRL?
Obviously!
It's not about moaning, it's about the reality of the situation. The fact two of the top men have stated it in a round about way should be a bit of a pointer?
You carry on as you think but don't expect others not to think deeper!
Think deeper ha it’s hardly rocket science!
What would you like the club to do to compete with the NRL with a third or less of the NRL cap?

Team full of wiganers? Wait we hate that it doesn’t work!
I know resign players who come back? No wait we don’t like that either!
How about sign younger Aussies? Oh hang on why do we need to do that when we have our own academy tut that’s it we don’t want a team of locals!
Let’s sign average players or project players? Nope can’t do that as we moan at that too!

Our salary cap is not going to match the NRL’s anytime soon so why don’t we make the best of the current situation and be realistic? Oh wait we are trying that and surprise surprise - moan!

Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

If you however have it all figured out WW please share, I’d love to hear how you would make us more successful as a club and a business?
Thats it then, we should not moan, just sit back and rejoice that we finished 6th in SL, played boring rugby and won nothing.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Correct OH.
Everything is fine so long as there's no difference of opinion!
I pays my money and I takes my choice on commenting. There's an off button if my comments breach the watershed!????
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield