Sam to Catalan?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
bertina

Re: Sam to Catalan?

Post by bertina »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote: If what is going about true regarding Tomkins not being a marquee signing next season meaning a cut in pay and should think by a big margin. I don't blame him in the slightest. Has nothing to do with sticking fingers up to club or fans just looking after his own interest as for lockers and Farrell I am willing to bet neither has ever taken a pay cut in there times at wigan so loyalty never been tested. I would be p*ss*d off too looking at the other marquee signing in squad seems to me and probably to him jobs for the boys as all cost stuff ability. One thing I am sure of sam goes so does the only bit of attacking structure in the side. If Powell and Williams is the future then we are in big trouble.
Dead right. Take Sam and lockers out of the team and where the hell does any attacking threat come from.?
Williams as marquee is a joke, as I said on another thread , bang average at best. Powell is a good defender period. Offers nothing going forward.
If anyone at the club needs a pay cut it’s Williams, because on current form he should be on the national minimum wage.
The goings on at our club for the past year or so absolutely baffle me.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Why is the club never straight with the fans till the last possible moment?
endoman

Post by endoman »

pearsy wrote:Why is the club never straight with the fans till the last possible moment?
Because “we” are no longer a rugby club. We are a business first and foremost and the fans seem not to matter to the stakeholders.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:If what is going about true regarding Tomkins not being a marquee signing next season meaning a cut in pay and should think by a big margin. I don't blame him in the slightest. Has nothing to do with sticking fingers up to club or fans just looking after his own interest as for lockers and Farrell I am willing to bet neither has ever taken a pay cut in there times at wigan so loyalty never been tested. I would be p*ss*d off too looking at the other marquee signing in squad seems to me and probably to him jobs for the boys as all cost stuff ability. One thing I am sure of sam goes so does the only bit of attacking structure in the side. If Powell and Williams is the future then we are in big trouble.
i'm sorry it is sticking the fingers up at the fans, he came back as a marquee signing with a major injury Wigan supported him through this and then when he got a second major injury (linked or not). the club could have written him off but they didn't. Sam is coming back into form yes but what has he done in SL yet (since his return) to warrant his Marquee status (he may well earn it this year)

if it is true we have offered him a lower wage, then fair play he gone chasing money, but it is a middle finger to the club and fans who have stuck by him. worse if he isn't being offered a wage cut and still goes.

either way, what happens will happen, if its all talk great as Tomkins is playing well this season and is key to our attack, if it's not we will have to make do.

i wonder if any of this has to do with Tomkins saying he only wants to play fullback and having to play in the halves.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It might be something to do with the size of offer over four years from Catalans compared to Wigan's offer of probably less money over fewer years.
The deal with Cats, according to the papers. appears pretty certain.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Ian Thornley is the worst centre i have seen, he runs half his weight and has no pace and to cap it all cannot tackle. I presume this is a belated April fools joke Dilly dilly
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Noticed Sam talking to someone on the Instagram picture of him and his son in France

In the comments he is asked are you signing for the dragons his reply

“Don’t know nothing decided yet”

Which means they are defffo in talks at the very least
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Tomkins instagram - uploaded a photo of himself in Perpignan

Somebody commented saying “are you playing for Catalans next year”

Tomkins - I don’t know, still undecided
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:If what is going about true regarding Tomkins not being a marquee signing next season meaning a cut in pay and should think by a big margin. I don't blame him in the slightest. Has nothing to do with sticking fingers up to club or fans just looking after his own interest as for lockers and Farrell I am willing to bet neither has ever taken a pay cut in there times at wigan so loyalty never been tested. I would be p*ss*d off too looking at the other marquee signing in squad seems to me and probably to him jobs for the boys as all cost stuff ability. One thing I am sure of sam goes so does the only bit of attacking structure in the side. If Powell and Williams is the future then we are in big trouble.
i'm sorry it is sticking the fingers up at the fans, he came back as a marquee signing with a major injury Wigan supported him through this and then when he got a second major injury (linked or not). the club could have written him off but they didn't. Sam is coming back into form yes but what has he done in SL yet (since his return) to warrant his Marquee status (he may well earn it this year)

if it is true we have offered him a lower wage, then fair play he gone chasing money, but it is a middle finger to the club and fans who have stuck by him. worse if he isn't being offered a wage cut and still goes.

either way, what happens will happen, if its all talk great as Tomkins is playing well this season and is key to our attack, if it's not we will have to make do.

i wonder if any of this has to do with Tomkins saying he only wants to play fullback and having to play in the halves.
If the club has said he's going to be on a lower non-marquee wage they are basically opening the door to other clubs to make offers he can't refuse.

Cats can obviously see at just turned 29 he is far from finished or over the hill. Wigan for some reason must be of the opinion the team can cope without him which I think is delusional. I am not saying we are one man team but we are not far off it with him and Lockers making things tick.

The idea we can carry on with Escare taking his place at FB or persist with Powell at 7 without Sam T coming into the halves to improve the half backs is just nuts.

The club don't seem to recognise that he is still a key player for Wigan and player that can command that sort of wage but not only that within the context of SL he is one of the top players and even here in SL you don't get top players in your side on the cheap. I can't see anyone who they can replace him with as good.

It's as if the squad is now being built down the least expensive level to be in the clubs eyes competitive and ignoring the aim of employing the best players.

You also have to question the logic the whole saga. For two seasons we hardly saw him due to injury, then fully recovered he returns to playing as we hoped, solves the goal kicking issue and so if this rumour ends up correct the club gets rid just when they finally get the player they thought returned. It's bonkers.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I'd put money on that he will go.
Two strong rumours, 1 is a 4 year contract being offered and he was seen having a meal in perpignan with Micky Mac and supposedly not travelling back with the team.