Sam to Catalan?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ian b

Re: Sam to Catalan?

Post by ian b »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Sam is very difficult to negotiate with, it took a lot to get his signature when he returned from the NRL. I believe that Wigan have/will make him an offer but he has made it known that there are other offers on the table. The ball seems to be firmly in IFL/KR's court.
There is no offer. He has already gone, Signed, sealed and delivered. Just trust me. :wink:

And yes moto, something specific. Sam is a bit of a bully. He won't be that missed within the squad. That isn't rumour because i know one of the lads he spits his vicious tongue at.

Both of the above statements are correct.
was told the same and hardaker is a definate
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Why would the club offer him a 4 year deal on 'marquee terms'? I don't see what the hullabaloo is all about i really don't. Good player yes, do i want to keep him - absolutely. Do i want the club to chance 4 years of big money on someone who is A - Losing his pace, B - One more leg injury from potential crock, C - Acts like a tool when he has a few shandy's D - Lives on his past reputation. Nah, Time to explore other options. If he doesn't want to represent the club that gave him a way back and looked after him for 2 injury hit years that's his bag. If he can get 4 years on cracking money elsewhere good luck to the lad. I hope he packs plenty of factor 50 and keeps off the strong lager. A player who is worth over 2 million pounds (before roulette machines) and isn't interested in loyalty to the club that gave him his break and saved him is free to sod off into obscurity with a woeful club, hopefully in the championship and replaced by Toulouse. We will get over it, just like we have when all the past former stars went.
Agree with most of this, some very good points raised. I'd like to keep Sam for sure but 4 years on top wack would be a risk. How old was Hanley when we got rid? He did have some good years with Leeds but Wigan did all right as well.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:Simpler explanation: there is no 'plan'; Sam Tomkins wants to leave, so the club have little option but to acquiesce, and put a brave face on it.
Well if he does go it will be interesting how the club spin it. They treat the fans as daft at times over players leaving.

If he's asked to leave and they have let him, just sat so. They don't owe him anything. I'd also prefer it if the club didn't make a "panic signing" like Sarge (which I'd consider Hardaker to be) just to plug the gap and appease any negative publicity from losing Sam. Go and make a considered decision about what the squad needs and go and find another player worthy of marquee status.
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

DaveO wrote:
Well if he does go it will be interesting how the club spin it. They treat the fans as daft at times over players leaving.
Door always open for a return

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Jimmy Birts wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Door always open for a return
Rehash the NZW statement from 2013 and insert Catalan.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

’Tomkins wants to come to Perpignan’

The owner of Catalans Dragons has spoken publicly about their pursuit of Sam Tomkins.

And Bernard Guasch says the French outfit want him on board – and the Wigan full-back wants to move his young family to the south of France.

It is understood Tomkins has agreed a deal to join Catalans in 2019, but there has been no official comment from either club and the player, and both coaches, have sidestepped the issue.

However, in an interview with French newspaper L’Independant, Guasch said: “What I know is that the player and his family want to come to Perpignan and we want it.

“From there, you draw the conclusions you want.”

Tomkins, who booted a dramatic drop-goal in a 9-8 win at Leeds last Friday, is out of contract at the end of this season.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9118247
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

That's the cat nicely out of the bag there then? Bet short arms is impressed!?:)
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Getting fed up of this now. With the Les Cats owner coming out with this it's about time Wigan clarified the situation one way or the other.

This isn't asking the club to comment on some rumour.

If Wigan are waiting to announce he is off after they have finalised a signing to lessen what they perceive to be a blow for the fans they really do not need to bother. It's so transparent when they do that I can't believe they think it is a good idea. If anything it takes the gloss off the new signing.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

3 years ago today the siren went of at the stadium announcing the return of Sam Tomkins. IL proud of the club's policy to let player go and try RU or the NRL. After 2 yrs injured/gaining fitness he's now playing at a good standard, so will we see a new committed Sam?

Wait.. What... No way! Sam is touting himself to Catalan. Leopard and spots come to mind

moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: If Wigan are waiting to announce he is off after they have finalised a signing to lessen what they perceive to be a blow for the fans they really do not need to bother. It's so transparent when they do that I can't believe they think it is a good idea. If anything it takes the gloss off the new signing.
If they announced it without a replacement, doubtless you'd moan about that too!

But hey, it might just as easily be about something else altogether, maybe at the Catalans end.

End of the day, Dave, the simple question is, do you think ST is worth a 4 year deal on big money or not? If the answer is no, then the club are right to let him move on.