Sam to Catalan?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
NeeNawWarrior22

Re: Sam to Catalan?

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

moto748 wrote:
DaveO wrote: If Wigan are waiting to announce he is off after they have finalised a signing to lessen what they perceive to be a blow for the fans they really do not need to bother. It's so transparent when they do that I can't believe they think it is a good idea. If anything it takes the gloss off the new signing.
If they announced it without a replacement, doubtless you'd moan about that too!

But hey, it might just as easily be about something else altogether, maybe at the Catalans end.

End of the day, Dave, the simple question is, do you think ST is worth a 4 year deal on big money or not? If the answer is no, then the club are right to let him move on.
IMO he is worth that. He has a fantastic rugby brain and besides Lockers, no one else is at that level at Wigan. Actually, throughout SL there aren't many with his brains on the pitch. Sure we could go overseas and offer a play maker a 4 year deal, only for us then to see them return after one average season.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

There is a very good reason indeed why the club haven't had to say anything beyond what they have already said. We have an option which we can exercise any time up until the end of April. Sam cannot sign with anyone else unconditionally for 2019 prior to that date unless we have waived that option. I have seen nothing to say we have done so. He and his agent and the press have made it crystal clear that he will go to France on big money unless we do a deal with him.

In the meantime, we can take a step back, and consider carefully what we want to do with:

- Sam;
- Bateman;
- Sutton;
- Gildart;
- Hardaker (with a vital question being when he can play); and
- any new faces.

while taking stock of how well players like O'Loughlin, Joel, Woods, Shorrocks, Wells and the other second rowers are looking for 2019.

If we can retain Gildart and Bateman, and bring in Hardaker and an NRL play maker, then O'Loughlin's new found lease of life means that we could do quite nicely without Sam, if our view of his worth is less than what he wants to pocket.

I am pleased we have said nothing, as it is consistent with us looking at the bigger picture and not being swayed by Sam's PR machine into a public debate.

southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with your reasoning Exiled Wiganer but how likely is it that we'll sign an NRL playmaker? Sam is organising our team at present and I think this aspect of his game will be the hardest to replace. He's not the great runner that he once was and, I agree that a four year deal is a big risk but, like you I feel that just replacing him with a good fullback (or letting Morgan take over) won't be sufficient.
jobo

Post by jobo »

southportcdm wrote:I agree with your reasoning Exiled Wiganer but how likely is it that we'll sign an NRL playmaker? Sam is organising our team at present and I think this aspect of his game will be the hardest to replace. He's not the great runner that he once was and, I agree that a four year deal is a big risk but, like you I feel that just replacing him with a good fullback (or letting Morgan take over) won't be sufficient.
Ditto. If he goes, we've got to replace like for like.
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

The mindset needs to be that we are going to be without him because he has gone. I know you don't want to believe it but if you check my track record i am pretty much 100%. If i am wrong i will hold my hands up but the places i get my info from are rock solid. Every club has leakers, i won't disclose them or expose too much but he has gone. That is my last comment on the subject.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:The mindset needs to be that we are going to be without him because he has gone. I know you don't want to believe it but if you check my track record i am pretty much 100%. If i am wrong i will hold my hands up but the places i get my info from are rock solid. Every club has leakers, i won't disclose them or expose too much but he has gone. That is my last comment on the subject.
Not doubting you for a minute CW but if Les Cat's do get relegated, there will surely be a get out clause. This is why I say if, he does go.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

jobo wrote: Not doubting you for a minute CW but if Les Cat's do get relegated, there will surely be a get out clause. This is why I say if, he does go.
Waiting for the 14-team SL to be announced. :D
ian b

Post by ian b »

Bateman will stay
doc

Post by doc »

Wouldn't complain if we lost Sam and gained Thurston for the last couple of years of his career.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:
DaveO wrote: If Wigan are waiting to announce he is off after they have finalised a signing to lessen what they perceive to be a blow for the fans they really do not need to bother. It's so transparent when they do that I can't believe they think it is a good idea. If anything it takes the gloss off the new signing.
If they announced it without a replacement, doubtless you'd moan about that too!
Given I have consistently said the club's attempts to spin things by trying to offset bad news with good are so transparently obvious I can guarantee you I would not.
But hey, it might just as easily be about something else altogether, maybe at the Catalans end.

End of the day, Dave, the simple question is, do you think ST is worth a 4 year deal on big money or not? If the answer is no, then the club are right to let him move on.
As it's the Cats owner who said what he did to the press it's blindingly obvious there is no issue with them. My opinion on whether he is worth a deal of any kind at Wigan has got nothing to do with my view on the saga dragging on. Which is what my post youb replied to was about.

On the subject of should Wigan attempt to keep him I have already made it clear previously that I think there are few genuine quality players in SL and Sam T is one so Wigan would be mad to let him go. It doesn't follow they would necessarily have to give him a four year deal either to keep him. The figure I saw mentioned in the press was £750k over four years at Cats. That's £187k a year. Which on an annual basis is going to a pay cut if he's on the fortune everyone thinks he's on. So as Marquee player that means the club would have to find a mere £87k to match the deal given Sky TV money pays the rest. Seems cheap to me.

If Wigan aren't prepared to pay that level of wage I doubt they will be attracting genuine marquee players to the club to replace him. If you don't want him for four years how about three on £250k a year? Or even just for two? He'd still have at least a couple of years left in him to make up the difference given he'd just have turned 31.

Unless he has a burning desire to live in France it ought to be easy to match the wages on offer without breaking the bank because it's not like he's off to the NRL for a new challenge or NRL level of pay.

I see no reason why Wigan could not take up the option for another year on his current deal then offer him two years on top at £250k which ought to match or even beat the £750k on offer.