Wane to Catalans ?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
First Try Tickle

Wane to Catalans ?

Post by First Try Tickle »

Heard a rumour last night that Catalans have also approached Wane to be their coach for next year.

I'm not happy about Sam leaving for Catalans, but if he was to take Wane with him, that was ease the pain a bit.

As long as we don't do a swap for their current coach :lol:
josie andrews

Re: Wane to Catalans ?

Post by josie andrews »

I heard this last week, with supposedly Shaun Edwards being the replacement!

I can’t see Shaun Wane leaving unless his contract isn’t renewed.

He has always stated that this is his dream job!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I've also heard the same in the pub on Saturday in Bolton. The guy was a former RL scribe who told me.
I didn't want to say out because I didn't want folk getting their hopes up!????
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Considering him and Sam hate each other apparently I can't see this happening! :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Hope so, he will turn them into a champion side in no times, he is that good a coach that they should have silverware within the first season of him signing, he brought us silverware in his first season as head coach
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote:Hope so, he will turn them into a champion side in no times, he is that good a coach that they should have silverware within the first season of him signing, he brought us silverware in his first season as head coach

:lol:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Great these rumours aren't they?

I'd be very surprised if Waney left voluntarily.
It has been said that he has a rolling contract so perhaps if Catalans have offered him a fixed term deal over say 3-4 years maybe he could be tempted. An increased financial incentive might tempt him.

Guash could have been impressed with the way Escare and Navarrete have improved under Waney to make him an offer.

Great these rumours!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Thinking aloud about why he might consider this (if he ever would leave). He's been successful with Wigan starting from an already successful side. If he went to Catalan and improved them into a contender, that would be a big stepping stone to coaching in the NRL. He'd be likely to get a job at a struggling side, so proving he can improve a team would be vital to getting that sort of job.

I wonder if he'd like to coach in the NRL?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

For me,Cut him in half and hes like a stick a rock.Says WRLFC all the way through.I like SW,last year he was incredible with the injury's and pressures placed on him.Not just on the field/club either.His passion and drive at the club are outstanding.
We have been jetlaged and a forward pass the wrong side of winning everything in front of us this year so far.but who knows.A new challenge may just be the ticket.
Lets face it.He can always go to the NRL or Catalan and then come back to Wigan. Everyone has so far and he shouldn't be physically injured on his return. Dont think its his style though,i hope not.He would be hard to replace.

4G
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:Thinking aloud about why he might consider this (if he ever would leave). He's been successful with Wigan starting from an already successful side. If he went to Catalan and improved them into a contender, that would be a big stepping stone to coaching in the NRL. He'd be likely to get a job at a struggling side, so proving he can improve a team would be vital to getting that sort of job.

I wonder if he'd like to coach in the NRL?
I think some coaches are very good at improving sides but it doesn't always follow that when they have got them up to a certain level they can then take them onto actual sustained success. This happens a lot in soccer with some coaches having made very nice living taking sides from lower divisions up even as far as the Premier League but no one would ever dream they were on a par with the likes of Klopp and Guardiola.

I am not convinced Wane fits into either category of improving coach or top flight coach. If you look at his recent Wigan record his league results have gone backwards the last three seasons in a row and his success was earlier on in his tenure as head coach when he still had a core of players schooled by Madge. Things have improved this season but the trophies are not handed out in April.

As to him leaving for Les Cats or the NRL I think those are the only two possibilities but that Les Cats is the only realistic one. The way Wigan play will not have any NRL club chasing him.

Wane like West years ago and is so associated with Wigan I doubt the fans and chairman of any other UK based SL club would think his heart would be in it coaching any team but Wigan. So I have always thought Wane was destined to suffer the same fate as Graeme West. Which is once his tenure as coach here is up there is no where for him to go.

So if Les Cats have offered him a job then if I was him I'd bite their hands off. If he does then he removes that "one club man" stone from around his neck and if he does improve them then he becomes employable at other clubs later. If he stays here until he's fired then expect to see Wane doing as West did and be driving taxis around Wigan in the future.

If he wants a long career as a coach he needs to get another job and if he can do it without being forced to try and find another position by being fired it is in his interest to do so.