Wane to Catalans ?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Wane to Catalans ?

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
Mike wrote:Thinking aloud about why he might consider this (if he ever would leave). He's been successful with Wigan starting from an already successful side. If he went to Catalan and improved them into a contender, that would be a big stepping stone to coaching in the NRL. He'd be likely to get a job at a struggling side, so proving he can improve a team would be vital to getting that sort of job.

I wonder if he'd like to coach in the NRL?
I think some coaches are very good at improving sides but it doesn't always follow that when they have got them up to a certain level they can then take them onto actual sustained success. This happens a lot in soccer with some coaches having made very nice living taking sides from lower divisions up even as far as the Premier League but no one would ever dream they were on a par with the likes of Klopp and Guardiola.

I am not convinced Wane fits into either category of improving coach or top flight coach. If you look at his recent Wigan record his league results have gone backwards the last three seasons in a row and his success was earlier on in his tenure as head coach when he still had a core of players schooled by Madge. Things have improved this season but the trophies are not handed out in April.

As to him leaving for Les Cats or the NRL I think those are the only two possibilities but that Les Cats is the only realistic one. The way Wigan play will not have any NRL club chasing him.

Wane like West years ago and is so associated with Wigan I doubt the fans and chairman of any other UK based SL club would think his heart would be in it coaching any team but Wigan. So I have always thought Wane was destined to suffer the same fate as Graeme West. Which is once his tenure as coach here is up there is no where for him to go.

So if Les Cats have offered him a job then if I was him I'd bite their hands off. If he does then he removes that "one club man" stone from around his neck and if he does improve them then he becomes employable at other clubs later. If he stays here until he's fired then expect to see Wane doing as West did and be driving taxis around Wigan in the future.

If he wants a long career as a coach he needs to get another job and if he can do it without being forced to try and find another position by being fired it is in his interest to do so.
You ruined it by putting Klopp in the same bracket as Guardiola! :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You're right, if Liverpool win the Champions League it will eclipse what Guadiola has done this season!
Perhaps a better comparison would have been Allardyce and Pep?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
TrueBlueWarrior

Wandering Warrior wrote:You're right, if Liverpool win the Champions League it will eclipse what Guadiola has done this season!
:lol: :wink:

Just compare their honours as coaches, comparing Klopp to Guardiola is like comparing Sarginson to Inga!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wandering Warrior

Yeh but neither could manage Bolton Wanderers, Allardyce has!????
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Cats Nrl retirement home could it be the same for managers?
TrueBlueWarrior

Wandering Warrior wrote:Yeh but neither could manage Bolton Wanderers, Allardyce has!????
Legend, simple as!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:You're right, if Liverpool win the Champions League it will eclipse what Guadiola has done this season!
:lol: :wink:

Just compare their honours as coaches, comparing Klopp to Guardiola is like comparing Sarginson to Inga!!
Yes but Guardiola has always been given the biggest and most powerful bus in the park in the 3 countries he has been.

Whilst Klopp flattened the tyres of the German Super bus team in 2012 with a Shearings Bus team.

Guardiola's buses have no real staying power and they go boom and off I go to the next bus stop. Whilst Klopp buses have a longer lasting engine.

Also for the first time in his managerial career Klopp has a club who at long last have let the purse strings go in a big way. Even in the MLB (Boston Red Sox) they have spent massively on contracts in the last 15-18 months.

TBW if you have watched moneyball Brad Pitt film at the very end it will explain my last previous paragraph.

PS I do hope that Allardyce stays on at Everton. At least you have an ex England manager in charge.
Wandering Warrior

And one that will do his best for the club with fans who have expectations above their station at the moment.
Wandering Warrior

TBW
I know your comment is tongue in cheek but he is a legend on home soil to the Club thatvhas always mattered the most to him!
Unfortunately the Club didn't matter to those who claimed it did and wouldn't match his or the fans ambition!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:
Mike wrote:Thinking aloud about why he might consider this (if he ever would leave). He's been successful with Wigan starting from an already successful side. If he went to Catalan and improved them into a contender, that would be a big stepping stone to coaching in the NRL. He'd be likely to get a job at a struggling side, so proving he can improve a team would be vital to getting that sort of job.

I wonder if he'd like to coach in the NRL?
I think some coaches are very good at improving sides but it doesn't always follow that when they have got them up to a certain level they can then take them onto actual sustained success. This happens a lot in soccer with some coaches having made very nice living taking sides from lower divisions up even as far as the Premier League but no one would ever dream they were on a par with the likes of Klopp and Guardiola.

I am not convinced Wane fits into either category of improving coach or top flight coach. If you look at his recent Wigan record his league results have gone backwards the last three seasons in a row and his success was earlier on in his tenure as head coach when he still had a core of players schooled by Madge. Things have improved this season but the trophies are not handed out in April.

As to him leaving for Les Cats or the NRL I think those are the only two possibilities but that Les Cats is the only realistic one. The way Wigan play will not have any NRL club chasing him.

Wane like West years ago and is so associated with Wigan I doubt the fans and chairman of any other UK based SL club would think his heart would be in it coaching any team but Wigan. So I have always thought Wane was destined to suffer the same fate as Graeme West. Which is once his tenure as coach here is up there is no where for him to go.

So if Les Cats have offered him a job then if I was him I'd bite their hands off. If he does then he removes that "one club man" stone from around his neck and if he does improve them then he becomes employable at other clubs later. If he stays here until he's fired then expect to see Wane doing as West did and be driving taxis around Wigan in the future.

If he wants a long career as a coach he needs to get another job and if he can do it without being forced to try and find another position by being fired it is in his interest to do so.
Wow 5 years on and the wane is only successful on the back of madge crap.

When madge left didn't key players also join him.
The double year all madges players? Green and smith combo?
Most of the young players who came through under madge had been trained by wane hadnt they? They all say so. So are they lying?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.