Potential Signing

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: Potential Signing

Post by josie andrews »

lucky 13 wrote:
ddtftf wrote:I don`t always agree with IL and he can be arrogant in an argument, he is never wrong, but i respect him for his investment in the club and his passion to succeed. It must be hard sometimes to read on here all the comments slung at him & lesser men would have said bollox and walked away saying i dont need this at my time in like.

Sit back and think if you had put £6 million pounds in a club to try to make it a success & you got slagged off what would you think??
I would hope he understands that forums and social media are polarised and not a reflection in general. Even on here he has 70%
Support which any political party would die for. Its especially at times like this, players leaving, coach leaving, bad publicity off field and poor performances on it that a 70% opinnion pole in his favour should really encourage him. Anyone in any position of authority attracts criticism Im sure the rants of a few wont effect him to much especially when some of them are negative full stop.
Its a bit like your posts on here 90+% of us appreciate the info but you always get the odd one who spoils it.
Well said both of you ????????????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

lucky 13 wrote:
ddtftf wrote:I don`t always agree with IL and he can be arrogant in an argument, he is never wrong, but i respect him for his investment in the club and his passion to succeed. It must be hard sometimes to read on here all the comments slung at him & lesser men would have said bollox and walked away saying i dont need this at my time in like.

Sit back and think if you had put £6 million pounds in a club to try to make it a success & you got slagged off what would you think??
I would hope he understands that forums and social media are polarised and not a reflection in general. Even on here he has 70%
Support which any political party would die for. Its especially at times like this, players leaving, coach leaving, bad publicity off field and poor performances on it that a 70% opinnion pole in his favour should really encourage him. Anyone in any position of authority attracts criticism Im sure the rants of a few wont effect him to much especially when some of them are negative full stop.
Its a bit like your posts on here 90+% of us appreciate the info but you always get the odd one who spoils it.
Well put gentlemen.

Above all IFL is a supporter and fan of our great club, he was born and bred into rugby league like many of us Wiganers and he knows how important this team is to the folk of Wigan. He is constantly trying to improve the club whilst at the same time underpinning its financial stability. Our ticket prices are amongst the lowest in the league and our facilities are the best. We need to rally around him in these tough times, we will come good again under his stewardship. We are in safe hands.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

TBH if Lenagan did view this site, he'd see that on the recent poll over 70% of fans want him to stay. That's pretty good when the club is struggling to keep its best players and its coach has just resigned.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:
DaveO wrote:That's a long post that seems totally irrelevant to the point I made. To remind you I was replying to Fozzie who argued Hamlin was hit and miss and won't be going back to the NRL and will have a career here instead. That being so why is he any different to any of our other props of a similar age was my point. Why recruit him unless he is exceptional which despite his crowd pleasing debut he does not seem to be?

We are supposed to have this exceptional production line and yet feel the need to recruit a junior player. I expect us to recruit more senior players because I subscribe to the John Monie theory you were lucky if you get three from a top junior team graduating to the first team and if Fozzie is right there is no guarantee Hamlin will be one of those few who makes the grade.

There just seems to ba a contradiction here. He's either no better than what we have and won't be off back to the NRL or he is better and so will be off back home.
The club will have signed Hamlin because they think he's a talented player with potentially a lot more to offer.

You seem to keep bringing up our production line as if we aren't allowed to sign any young players from other clubs because we have it. Just because we have a great production line doesn't mean we can't benefit from bringing other players in. Are you annoyed that we signed Joe Brown from Bradford because we've already got plenty in our academy who can play on the wing?

The club have presumably signed Hamlin because they think he can benefit the club. He's already on the fringes of the first team despite being 21 and will probably play more first team games before the end of the year. If he's here to provide competition for our forwards and possibly be a first teamer without costing us too much then he's already doing that.

You're not even willing to contemplate the possibility that he might be better than what we have AND remain at the club. Not every player who plays well for us is going to go to the NRL, even the overseas players. Willie Isa is playing well for us but it doesn't seem like he's heading to the NRL any time soon.

And even if Hamlin does return to the NRL after 2 years, if he offers us something valuable during that time then it's a good deal.

We're likely to lose Sutton this year and probably Bretherton, so we'll no doubt be seeing more of Hamlin next year.
I didn't say our production line precluded us from signing other young players. The club has always done this for example in that it signed a teenage sensation in Shaun Edwards back in the day and I am sure it is always after such hot prospects. I fail to see the equivalence of signing such talent compared to signing Hamlin who looks no better than what we have.

If Hamlin were such an exceptional prospect he would not be here. He'd be at an NRL club which is stating the obvious I think. Bringing in players at that level at that age seems pointless to me. He's not got future star written all over him has he.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’ve seen nothing in Hamlin that is better than what’s here,I hope I’m wrong but when I hear the adulation towards him it leaves me scratching my head,he may come good and I hope he does but I just don’t know, if he was the coming man then,as Dave says he wouldn’t be here the NRL would have snapped him up.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote:
If Hamlin were such an exceptional prospect he would not be here. He'd be at an NRL club which is stating the obvious I think.
Well if you really believe that the gap between the NRL and SL is so great that no quality Aussies will be prepared to come, there's no point in bleating about

"We need a tough Aussie prop". or "We need a quality Aussie 7", is there?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
If Hamlin were such an exceptional prospect he would not be here. He'd be at an NRL club which is stating the obvious I think.
Well if you really believe that the gap between the NRL and SL is so great that no quality Aussies will be prepared to come, there's no point in bleating about

"We need a tough Aussie prop". or "We need a quality Aussie 7", is there?
You know as well as I do that when people talk of such players they mean a player of the level of George Carmont. Not the current aussie international no 7.

They believe such players are better than ours but equally they are not talking about kids or project players like Hamlin who are no better than our own but the ready made Carmont type of experienced player who people think are. There is a difference.

Which I think is also stating the obvious.