Owen Farrell to Wigan?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Owen Farrell to Wigan?

Post by Mike »

Yeah, thats the problem though isn't it. Academy players that have never played league at first team level in their entire careers. All their experience has been gained using a completely different skill set and game management tactics. Doesn't sound like a recipe for a sucessful return to me.

Perhaps if they wanted to play center that would work OK, but goerge ford doesn't look like a center to me. Owen might be OK.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Kyle Eastmond has been released by Wasps could be him?
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Mike wrote:Yeah, thats the problem though isn't it. Academy players that have never played league at first team level in their entire careers. All their experience has been gained using a completely different skill set and game management tactics. Doesn't sound like a recipe for a sucessful return to me.

Perhaps if they wanted to play center that would work OK, but goerge ford doesn't look like a center to me. Owen might be OK.

At least they would have an idea of league plays/structure so they wouldn't be coming back as complete learners. In recent memory, Ellis at Wire, Davies at Widnes, Botica at Wigan all came from union without ever playing league and turned out well.

I'd be very happy if we nursed Farrell through half a season until he found his feet just to have a consistent goal kicker!!!

Matt
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’d love to have Farrell here it won’t happen of course
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

adiddy wrote:
Mike wrote:Yeah, thats the problem though isn't it. Academy players that have never played league at first team level in their entire careers. All their experience has been gained using a completely different skill set and game management tactics. Doesn't sound like a recipe for a sucessful return to me.

At least they would have an idea of league plays/structure so they wouldn't be coming back as complete learners. In recent memory, Ellis at Wire, Davies at Widnes, Botica at Wigan all came from union without ever playing league and turned out well.

I'd be very happy if we nursed Farrell through half a season until he found his feet just to have a consistent goal kicker!!!

Matt
Don't remember Ellis, but Davis didn't play as either half back position in league, and Bottica required a full season on the wing before we started moving him to the halves. I wouldn't want to carry an aging RU half on the wing in the modern game, even for his kicking!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Mike wrote:
adiddy wrote:

Matt
Don't remember Ellis, but Davis didn't play as either half back position in league, and Bottica required a full season on the wing before we started moving him to the halves. I wouldn't want to carry an aging RU half on the wing in the modern game, even for his kicking!
Kevin Ellis?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Why on earth would Farrell take a million pound pay cut to play for Wigan?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wintergreen wrote:Why on earth would Farrell take a million pound pay cut to play for Wigan?

Not that it will ever happen. But is there a clause in the salary cap you can bring in an Union player who has never played RL at senior level and his salary will not go on the cap.

Saying that I can not imagine IL paying anyone million pounds to play rugby.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thegimble wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:Why on earth would Farrell take a million pound pay cut to play for Wigan?

Not that it will ever happen. But is there a clause in the salary cap you can bring in an Union player who has never played RL at senior level and his salary will not go on the cap.

Saying that I can not imagine IL paying anyone million pounds to play rugby.
Maybe we could pay him from the magic money tree, you know, the same one DaveO thinks we pay Tomkins non capped wage with :wink: :lol: :lol:
markill

Post by markill »

George Ford was on the whippets and flat caps podcast last week saying that he would like to play in RL at some point in his career.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod