Bateman - Bulldogs

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
southportcdm

Re: Bateman - Bulldogs

Post by southportcdm »

I really rate Bateman and still think we have a chance of keeping him. However, I don't think he's a marquee player i.e. one that controls the game or can win the game 'by himself'. It's not often that a backrower can influence the game to such an extent. Let's be honest, he's no Andy Farrell or SBW is he? Comparing John with George is difficult because George does have the ability to win a game for us and has often done so in the past. George will come good again but I fear we may have to wait for the new coach before we see the best in him.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ian b wrote:i still think Williams is an excellent player i just think he is being held back by the coaches style of play
i think the same and would also like to see him play at 7
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:The Bulldogs are off loading players due to salary cap problems left by the previous board, i honestly cannot see it being them Bateman will go to.

Canberra are favourites and i think he would go well with Whitehead , Hodgson and now Sutton

However please stay Johnny we need you
Where in the article does it mention the Bulldogs?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Josie's friend wrote:IMO money isn't the issue when keeping players, Budgie mentioned about how he misses the big match atmosphere in the NRL were every game is like our derby matches. Plus it really is another level of skill, any one with a winning mentality would be stupid not to want to test themselves at the highest level.
The only mistake Sam Tomkins made imo is going to the wrong side and Budgie at the Bunnies was far better than at the roosters (truthfully he should of stayed with them instead of coming back).
So debate if he should go or not but it hasn't nothing to do with how much he'll get paid and money won't keep him.
It is all about the money. Sutty is getting a fantastic deal.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:IMO money isn't the issue when keeping players, Budgie mentioned about how he misses the big match atmosphere in the NRL were every game is like our derby matches. Plus it really is another level of skill, any one with a winning mentality would be stupid not to want to test themselves at the highest level.
The only mistake Sam Tomkins made imo is going to the wrong side and Budgie at the Bunnies was far better than at the roosters (truthfully he should of stayed with them instead of coming back).
So debate if he should go or not but it hasn't nothing to do with how much he'll get paid and money won't keep him.
It is all about the money. Sutty is getting a fantastic deal.
Of course it’s about the money,the lifestyle and the rest are nice by products of a move,or not as the case may be.

For me Bateman has a nice little comfort zone here at Wigan,he’s s good player,not world class by any means nor a marquee player either,he needs to back himself and go down under if he doesn’t he really won’t know if he can dial his game up a notch or two,can he do it I’m not sure but if he doesn’t go,and I think he will if not this year then next seasons end,he will never find out and the deal he can broker will surely help set him up for life post rugby.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

For you it's about the money but you're not a professional sportsman are you, you have no clue what their motivations are.
SEFC if Sutton was going for the money then why has this move to the NRL be known about for the last two years at least? He's openly said he's wants to try and prove himself there , in fact he said it in front of a room full of supporters at a Riversiders meeting years ago.
Like everything to do with Wigan it's your opinion and you try and make out you have insider knowledge to back it up. You don't you hear rumours then cherry pick which you believe.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Josie's friend wrote:For you it's about the money but you're not a professional sportsman are you, you have no clue what their motivations are.
SEFC if Sutton was going for the money then why has this move to the NRL be known about for the last two years at least? He's openly said he's wants to try and prove himself there , in fact he said it in front of a room full of supporters at a Riversiders meeting years ago.
Like everything to do with Wigan it's your opinion and you try and make out you have insider knowledge to back it up. You don't you hear rumours then cherry pick which you believe.
I'll tell you what mate you talk some shite! You are absolutely clueless. If anybody reads your posts and believes them then I suggest that they need a lobotomy. What do you honestly think professional sportsmen are in the game for? Winning trophies ? A pat on the back from clowns like you? FFS they are in it for the money! Ryan is a mate of mine and I can tell you it is all about money, good luck to the lad I wish him well. Dream on pal if somebody told you that the moon was made of cheese you would try and eat it! By the way, I was a professional sportsman and I played for the dosh!!!
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Facebook is full of people who think they are mates with players because they had a photo with them lol
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:For you it's about the money but you're not a professional sportsman are you, you have no clue what their motivations are.
I'll tell you what mate you talk some shite! You are absolutely clueless. If anybody reads your posts and believes them then I suggest that they need a lobotomy. What do you honestly think professional sportsmen are in the game for? Winning trophies
? A pat on the back from clowns like you? FFS they are in it for the money! Ryan is a
mate of mine and I can tell you it is all about money, good luck to the lad I wish him
well. Dream on pal if somebody told you that the moon was made of cheese you
would try and eat it! By the way, I was a professional sportsman and I played for the
dosh!!!
Good post, so many people criticise players and read their minds and have never even held a rugby ball or played any sport at a decent level.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Of cource it's about the money. It's been about the money for as long as I can remember even before the sport went full time.

When it was semi-pro clubs would try and arrange jobs for their star players with local firms as part of the package. I can remember this happening when my Dad worked at Turners in Hindley Green and some player from Warrington pitched up.

It's definitely been about the money since the game went full time.

What has changed since it did go full time is the disparity between what RL in the UK can afford to pay what the NRL and RU can afford. When RL here was paying the top wages players could afford the luxury of playing for the team most likely to win something. There was no real financial inducement to switch codes or go to Oz.

Was lifting the cup or winning the league something the players aspired to? Of course but it was the icing on the cake. If someone had offered them double the money to do a different job they would have gone and done it. And that is all that is happening here.

I have said this for years, literally since the game went full time and that is, if you want a full time pro sport you have to be prepared to pay the wages required commensurate with a sport that has a 10 year career at the top (if you are lucky). When it first went full time RL here could do that but it was not long before it could not.