Bateman - Bulldogs

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
East Stand Faithful

Re: Bateman - Bulldogs

Post by East Stand Faithful »

DaveO wrote:Of cource it's about the money. It's been about the money for as long as I can remember even before the sport went full time.

When it was semi-pro clubs would try and arrange jobs for their star players with local firms as part of the package. I can remember this happening when my Dad worked at Turners in Hindley Green and some player from Warrington pitched up.

It's definitely been about the money since the game went full time.

What has changed since it did go full time is the disparity between what RL in the UK can afford to pay what the NRL and RU can afford. When RL here was paying the top wages players could afford the luxury of playing for the team most likely to win something. There was no real financial inducement to switch codes or go to Oz.

Was lifting the cup or winning the league something the players aspired to? Of course but it was the icing on the cake. If someone had offered them double the money to do a different job they would have gone and done it. And that is all that is happening here.

I have said this for years, literally since the game went full time and that is, if you want a full time pro sport you have to be prepared to pay the wages required commensurate with a sport that has a 10 year career at the top (if you are lucky). When it first went full time RL here could do that but it was not long before it could not.
That's a great post Dave.

I don't get why people don't get this.

RL is heading for an amateur sport unless something is done to compete with RU and NRL.

I fear we are miles off at the moment.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
DaveO wrote:Of cource it's about the money. It's been about the money for as long as I can remember even before the sport went full time.

When it was semi-pro clubs would try and arrange jobs for their star players with local firms as part of the package. I can remember this happening when my Dad worked at Turners in Hindley Green and some player from Warrington pitched up.

It's definitely been about the money since the game went full time.

What has changed since it did go full time is the disparity between what RL in the UK can afford to pay what the NRL and RU can afford. When RL here was paying the top wages players could afford the luxury of playing for the team most likely to win something. There was no real financial inducement to switch codes or go to Oz.

Was lifting the cup or winning the league something the players aspired to? Of course but it was the icing on the cake. If someone had offered them double the money to do a different job they would have gone and done it. And that is all that is happening here.

I have said this for years, literally since the game went full time and that is, if you want a full time pro sport you have to be prepared to pay the wages required commensurate with a sport that has a 10 year career at the top (if you are lucky). When it first went full time RL here could do that but it was not long before it could not.
That's a great post Dave.

I don't get why people don't get this.

RL is heading for an amateur sport unless something is done to compete with RU and NRL.

I fear we are miles off at the moment.
Honest assesment of the state of the sport,think the sooner it happens then perhaps the sport can stabilise and regroup
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:For you it's about the money but you're not a professional sportsman are you, you have no clue what their motivations are.
SEFC if Sutton was going for the money then why has this move to the NRL be known about for the last two years at least? He's openly said he's wants to try and prove himself there , in fact he said it in front of a room full of supporters at a Riversiders meeting years ago.
Like everything to do with Wigan it's your opinion and you try and make out you have insider knowledge to back it up. You don't you hear rumours then cherry pick which you believe.
I'll tell you what mate you talk some shite! You are absolutely clueless. If anybody reads your posts and believes them then I suggest that they need a lobotomy. What do you honestly think professional sportsmen are in the game for? Winning trophies ? A pat on the back from clowns like you? FFS they are in it for the money! Ryan is a mate of mine and I can tell you it is all about money, good luck to the lad I wish him well. Dream on pal if somebody told you that the moon was made of cheese you would try and eat it! By the way, I was a professional sportsman and I played for the dosh!!!
Well said SEFC, I too was a professional sportsman and trust me there is nothing more powerful in sport than the money, simple as that!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:The Bulldogs are off loading players due to salary cap problems left by the previous board, i honestly cannot see it being them Bateman will go to.

Canberra are favourites and i think he would go well with Whitehead , Hodgson and now Sutton

However please stay Johnny we need you
Where in the article does it mention the Bulldogs?
Going off the thread Title.
Ok thanks I thought I had missed something.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've just been watching the Bulldogs, and they were so dire that, frankly, even Sarge would have improved them.
markill

Post by markill »

Yep. If it wasn't about money, this sport we go any watch wouldn't even exist.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod