Lenagan

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Caboosegg

Re: Lenagan

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:It’s delusional to blame the super 8s for the games woes and lost fan base,boring one dimensional rugby,no personalities and lots more to spend your money on have impacted this games popularity,but no let’s blame the super 8s.

Entertainment is the way forward simple as that then we may find a start of comeback
You have to hope IL does not think the S8's is the only issue. He does lay the blame for falling season ticket sales squarely on the S8's but it's not just that.

Lack of star players and boring RL contribute. Watching Wigan has been a chore at times over the last couple of years and to be fair I think IL does recognise there are other issues when he says the game needs to market itself and players far better so that RL's top players are in the media and are sporting celebrities, so younger fans in particular can have their heroes etc.

You can't just leave it to marketing though. The on-pitch product has to justify the hype and while I don't expect IL to criticise the RL Wigan play in public he's surely got to recognise it's got to get better than it has been technically and skills-wise.
He already has DaveO he admitted it preseason saying we needed to play more entertaining. even wane has mentioned it (but then gone to say his job is to win games not matter how we play)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:It’s delusional to blame the super 8s for the games woes and lost fan base,boring one dimensional rugby,no personalities and lots more to spend your money on have impacted this games popularity,but no let’s blame the super 8s.

Entertainment is the way forward simple as that then we may find a start of comeback
You have to hope IL does not think the S8's is the only issue. He does lay the blame for falling season ticket sales squarely on the S8's but it's not just that.

Lack of star players and boring RL contribute. Watching Wigan has been a chore at times over the last couple of years and to be fair I think IL does recognise there are other issues when he says the game needs to market itself and players far better so that RL's top players are in the media and are sporting celebrities, so younger fans in particular can have their heroes etc.

You can't just leave it to marketing though. The on-pitch product has to justify the hype and while I don't expect IL to criticise the RL Wigan play in public he's surely got to recognise it's got to get better than it has been technically and skills-wise.
He already has DaveO he admitted it preseason saying we needed to play more entertaining. even wane has mentioned it (but then gone to say his job is to win games not matter how we play)
They may have said it then but little has changed on that score. Wane says IL lets him chose the players and he's obviously responsible for the tactics and IL has seemingly let him carry on with delivering a sub-standard squad/performances and boring RL. Unless IL pushed Wane out forcing his resignation which I don't think happened, IL was letting this continue.

The appointment of the next coach is going to be crucial in terms of what he can get out of the existing squad and also what scope there is for him to bring in new players where needed to address these issues.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: He already has DaveO he admitted it preseason saying we needed to play more entertaining. even wane has mentioned it (but then gone to say his job is to win games not matter how we play)
They may have said it then but little has changed on that score. Wane says IL lets him chose the players and he's obviously responsible for the tactics and IL has seemingly let him carry on with delivering a sub-standard squad/performances and boring RL. Unless IL pushed Wane out forcing his resignation which I don't think happened, IL was letting this continue.

The appointment of the next coach is going to be crucial in terms of what he can get out of the existing squad and also what scope there is for him to bring in new players where needed to address these issues.
What are you basing the underlined on, Dave?
The fact he resigned and has a new job to go to. I doubt Wane would stick around if IL sacked him with a new job lined up. Doesn't make sense to stay.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

we did play more exciting rugby this year until recently and a different style to last year. We have the second highest points difference still despite our recent run.

I have enjoyed watching Escare injected into the game late on when the opposition is tiring its been exciting.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Flash wrote: What are you basing the underlined on, Dave?
The fact he resigned and has a new job to go to. I doubt Wane would stick around if IL sacked him with a new job lined up. Doesn't make sense to stay.
Well his new job doesn't start until next year anyway but don't you think it equally likely that he was looking in the first place because IL made it plain his future lay elsewhere?
My question was essentially did he jump or was he pushed. All I am saying is I doubt he was pushed as some have speculated because if he was I'd not expect him to hang around with a new job to go to.

None of us know what has been said behind closed doors but you have to apply a little common sense and realism to the situation. The old argument that "everything is possible" doesn't wash because in the real world everything is not possible because some options are just not realistic.

It would be very peculiar for anyone who has been sacked to remain in post and dedicate themselves to cause with equal enthusiasm and vigour. I don't think there is anyone on the planet, even with the best of intentions, who can do that when their future lies elsewhere if they resigned of their own accord never mind if they were told to leave.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Bateman (or so we are repeatedly told) is leaving, but he's still giving 100%, as did Josh Charnley and plenty of others. Why shouldn't that apply to a coach as much as a player?
doc

Post by doc »

Could be that Wane had a 6 month notice period in place, gave his notice but didn't want things leaking out.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

moto748 wrote:Bateman (or so we are repeatedly told) is leaving, but he's still giving 100%, as did Josh Charnley and plenty of others. Why shouldn't that apply to a coach as much as a player?
Bateman hasnt been sacked though has he, thats the point DaveO's making (i think). Wane must of been the driver behind his departure because IL isnt going to sack him then expect him to complete the season, if he were to be sacked surely it would of been at the end of the season.

What i feel is most likely is Wane has seen something in the future of wigan that he isnt happy about and has decided to walk before he is pushed or before he risks tarnishing his rep
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:Bateman (or so we are repeatedly told) is leaving, but he's still giving 100%, as did Josh Charnley and plenty of others. Why shouldn't that apply to a coach as much as a player?
Because they were not sacked! A better example from a player perspective would be Scott Taylor who went from being great to being obviously a player who was leaving on bad terms. If Wane had been sacked, which is what some speculated, I can't see how it is remotely realistic to suggest he'd carry on.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Maybe IL had a frank discussion and said he wouldn't be renewing his contract next year?