Lenagan

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
No straw damn us

Re: Lenagan

Post by No straw damn us »

jaws1 wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:
jaws1 wrote: Koukash would bring a lot more fans than he got at Salford he would not shirk in spending money for the best coach and players in.
Lenagan has not got time to run the club on a hands on basis due to his commitments with the F.A.

Wigan trained players I have no qualms about if they were complimented by the senior players around them and not just project players bought on the cheap.
Just like he bought in Rangi Chase, Manu Vatuvei, Justin Carney Lee Mossop etc etc etc and left the club in a perilous state. What planet are some people on!!!
He would still have a salary cap to deal with.
The same planet as the Wigan species not bothering to go to matches.
If we brought the same players here the attendances would be up not imploding as they are now .Its the Salford fans who left the club in a perilous state not Koukash.
Like when we brought in Fielden, Barrett, Feka etc and paid some first team players £8K a year. That worked well didn't it?
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I for one have lost interest in going to the games even though i have a season ticket the way they are playing folk wont pay to watch rubbish i dont mind losng if they try and give us a game but recently they have been utter rubbish need to get rid of the dead wood and gdt some pride back in the wigan team.The last game at home the stand wasnt that full
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Suzieb wrote:I for one have lost interest in going to the games even though i have a season ticket the way they are playing folk wont pay to watch rubbish i dont mind losng if they try and give us a game but recently they have been utter rubbish need to get rid of the dead wood and gdt some pride back in the wigan team.The last game at home the stand wasnt that full
It's not just Wigan though, it's support for the game in general. Saints who are playing some really good rugby at the moment only attracted 9,400 on Friday, and less than 10K for the Hull Cup game.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

No straw damn us wrote:
It's not just Wigan though, it's support for the game in general. Saints who are playing some really good rugby at the moment only attracted 9,400 on Friday, and less than 10K for the Hull Cup game.
That's actually very dispiritising.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote:Somebody on the other site has said " I was told this week (from an untested source) that the turmoil has come because he wants to sell the club and has caused the players insecurities, resulting in a few wanting to move on to some certainty." Is there any truth in this?
If he puts his money where his mouth is he can do what he likes!!
So your point is?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Seems like IL has been very busy, and perhaps pre-occupied, with the future of Super League. But he seems to have got what he wanted. Is there light at the end of the tunnel for both SL and Warriors?

New coach on the way
Super League clubs taking more control of SL future
Super 8's to be ditched
New progressive Chief Executive for SL
Good signings for Warriors in Greenwood and Hardaker.

So what do we need at Warriors:
A coach with fresh ideas from outside the club
A playmaker who can create space for the likes of Greenwood and Hardaker (and Farrell and others) and can help get the best out of George
IL focussing back on Warriors.

It all might, just might, add up to good news all round. And even better, Hetherington doesn't like it!!

Well done to IL for forcing through some change for the game.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It’s delusional to blame the super 8s for the games woes and lost fan base,boring one dimensional rugby,no personalities and lots more to spend your money on have impacted this games popularity,but no let’s blame the super 8s.

Entertainment is the way forward simple as that then we may find a start of comeback
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't imagine anyone thinks it's a magic fix, but it's a worthwhile reform nevertheless. The Super 8s have been in place now for long enough to give them a fair trial, and most in the sport seem to agree that the drawbacks exceed the advantages.

As for playing entertaining footy, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the rugby on show in the Superleague Show last night, Unfortunately it was Saints, Hull, and Warrington playing the entertaining footy, rather than Wigan. :lol:

Someone pointed out the other day despite that despite being top of the league, scoring tries for fun, and having the biggest star (by far) in the comp on their books, even Saints are not pulling in great crowds either. If we can't support the game in the heartlands, what hope is there?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:It’s delusional to blame the super 8s for the games woes and lost fan base,boring one dimensional rugby,no personalities and lots more to spend your money on have impacted this games popularity,but no let’s blame the super 8s.

Entertainment is the way forward simple as that then we may find a start of comeback
You have to hope IL does not think the S8's is the only issue. He does lay the blame for falling season ticket sales squarely on the S8's but it's not just that.

Lack of star players and boring RL contribute. Watching Wigan has been a chore at times over the last couple of years and to be fair I think IL does recognise there are other issues when he says the game needs to market itself and players far better so that RL's top players are in the media and are sporting celebrities, so younger fans in particular can have their heroes etc.

You can't just leave it to marketing though. The on-pitch product has to justify the hype and while I don't expect IL to criticise the RL Wigan play in public he's surely got to recognise it's got to get better than it has been technically and skills-wise.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

A major factor that no one will address is the OTT safety first attitude of the officials and the way the players have latched onto it. We have players falling into tackles resulting in the tackler being binned for a head shot and players refusing to continue after innocuous head contact until the ref bleats "contact with the head" as he blows for the penalty. Add to this the constant stoppages every time a player goes down. It's totally turning me away from the sport.

Edit: apologies for going off topic.