george williams to australia

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ian.birchall

Re: george williams to australia

Post by ian.birchall »

No straw damn us wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Then let him go,the club can’t hold him to his deal it’s time to cash in and move on we can’t keep having this uncertainty with him each summer,a few months after starting his big money he’s coming out with this?

Time to move on I’m afraid
As I've stated on here many times I think he's the best young halfback in Superleague and I don't want him to go.
However, if he decides he really wants to go to Aus then if I were IL I'd say yes BUT we will demand a big transfer fee commensurate with the marquee status that you accepted. George can't have it both ways.
He still has three years left on his current deal.
Compare and contrast with Shaun Edwards attitude to his contract. ????
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Then let him go,the club can’t hold him to his deal it’s time to cash in and move on we can’t keep having this uncertainty with him each summer,a few months after starting his big money he’s coming out with this?

As I've stated on here many times I think he's the best young halfback in Superleague and I don't want him to go.
However, if he decides he really wants to go to Aus then if I were IL I'd say yes BUT we will demand a big transfer fee commensurate with the marquee status that you accepted. George can't have it both ways.
Exactly that! There is a distinct lack of honour & loyalty these days.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian b

Post by ian b »

Give it 6 months on here and people will be saying how good he was !!!!!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

George is a talented runner thats for sure his kicking is average and his passing also average.

His main talent i feel is playing what is in front of him at any one moment, his main weakness is he only seems to play whats infront of him at that very moment.

I personally think he can be one of the top half backs but he has a lot to learn in areas of his game. Being a half back is being a schemer moving pawns around the table.

Exmaple - on a 5th tackle a gap opens instinctively Williams will attack it sometimes he gets through sometimes he doesnt but you get the sense he has no idea what he is going to do if that gap doesnt open.

When you think of the best, and i mean the very best halfbacks they have a plan a/b/c in their head before they get the ball, think of prime thurston he doesnt rush a pass or hit a gap too far out because he knows its not the right % play he kicks for a repeat set if things havent worked out or does something else.

The very best play the game in slow motion, George plays the game as its happening. Now dont get me wrong in super league against average teams that approach can still pay dividends. However in the NRL he will need to be one step ahead of where he plays the game right now, people talk about needing a yard of pace, george needs a yard of rugby brain
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ian.birchall wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:

Ian,hand on heart I was just about to write that..

I get the feeling from that story he’s burning bridges and wants away that’s my take on it at least
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

thegimble wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:

Huge fee, no buy back (he is not that good for me his kicking game is poor) and we have a quality replacement ready to come in. If not he stays.

For all his ability or lack for all of blaming Wane etc. He can take the initiative Wane is gone soon what is Wane going to do fire him. Decent player but not a marquee player. If he goes the fees from him and Bateman could be used to give a really large 2 year deal to a top (not SOO) NRL half.
Who?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
thegimble wrote:
No straw damn us wrote: As I've stated on here many times I think he's the best young halfback in Superleague and I don't want him to go.
Huge fee, no buy back (he is not that good for me his kicking game is poor) and we have a quality replacement ready to come in. If not he stays.

For all his ability or lack for all of blaming Wane etc. He can take the initiative Wane is gone soon what is Wane going to do fire him. Decent player but not a marquee player. If he goes the fees from him and Bateman could be used to give a really large 2 year deal to a top (not SOO) NRL half.
Who?

Even though he is 33 Benji Marshall would be worth a punt. Better than what we have now. Thurston is out of contract I think though 35 might fancy a year up here. After all if we got 200-300k for Bateman and got 400-500k for Williams given that Williams is already on a whack here. We could pay 1 player close to a million for 1 season. I know we would not do that but its an idea of the money we could offer someone for 2 years. 500k a season. Close to 750k ASD.

Or we could go for Sam Williams OOC in 2019. And if the money is right and substantial then players will come. Past has proved that.

If we are smart we let Williams go and get Luke Gale and make them an offer they will not refuse. If we have 600-700K no way Cas will refuse it. Williams is not in the same bracket as Gale atm. Williams is just a bit over hyped decent SL player.

NRL will eat him up spit him out. Bateman will struggle a bit but Sutton could go very well. But Williams lack of kicking game in terms of controlling a game is really poor and that is a no no in the NRL. If he goes he will be back quicker than Bateman and Sutton.

I have no issue in any player going for more money. But I do have real issue in a player signing a deal and 12 months later goes to the media and says he wants to go. Total disloyalty for me. And as some say look at Edwards he gets his dream job but waits a season to fulfil his contractual obligations.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

thegimble wrote:
thegimble wrote: Huge fee, no buy back (he is not that good for me his kicking game is poor) and we have a quality replacement ready to come in. If not he stays.

Who?

Even though he is 33 Benji Marshall would be worth a punt. Better than what we have now. Thurston is out of contract I think though 35 might fancy a year up here. After all if we got 200-300k for Bateman and got 400-500k for Williams given that Williams is already on a whack here. We could pay 1 player close to a million for 1 season. I know we would not do that but its an idea of the money we could offer someone for 2 years. 500k a season. Close to 750k ASD.

Or we could go for Sam Williams OOC in 2019. And if the money is right and substantial then players will come. Past has proved that.

If we are smart we let Williams go and get Luke Gale and make them an offer they will not refuse. If we have 600-700K no way Cas will refuse it. Williams is not in the same bracket as Gale atm. Williams is just a bit over hyped decent SL player.

NRL will eat him up spit him out. Bateman will struggle a bit but Sutton could go very well. But Williams lack of kicking game in terms of controlling a game is really poor and that is a no no in the NRL. If he goes he will be back quicker than Bateman and Sutton.

I have no issue in any player going for more money. But I do have real issue in a player signing a deal and 12 months later goes to the media and says he wants to go. Total disloyalty for me. And as some say look at Edwards he gets his dream job but waits a season to fulfil his contractual obligations.
Spot on there.

It's disgusting that he'just signed a marquee contract and then wants to renege on it. He's not ancient and he's certainly not loyal!
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

An interview on the NRL’s official site was published on the morning of the game in which the England halfback admitted he wanted to try his hand Down Under.

Wane said: “I had a chat with George today, it’s no distraction. He did the interview quite a while ago and they released it today unfortunately.

“What Ian (Lenagan, chairman) and Kris (Radlinski, executive director) do with George is up to them but he’s strong-willed and that won’t affect him, I thought his performance indicated that.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9295921
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

thegimble wrote:
thegimble wrote: Huge fee, no buy back (he is not that good for me his kicking game is poor) and we have a quality replacement ready to come in. If not he stays.

Who?

But how do we get them in under the cap? Williams costs £75k.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards