george williams to australia

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
thegimble

Re: george williams to australia

Post by thegimble »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
thegimble wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Who?

Even though he is 33 Benji Marshall would be worth a punt. Better than what we have now. Thurston is out of contract I think though 35 might fancy a year up here. After all if we got 200-300k for Bateman and got 400-500k for Williams given that Williams is already on a whack here. We could pay 1 player close to a million for 1 season. I know we would not do that but its an idea of the money we could offer someone for 2 years. 500k a season. Close to 750k ASD.

Or we could go for Sam Williams OOC in 2019. And if the money is right and substantial then players will come. Past has proved that.

If we are smart we let Williams go and get Luke Gale and make them an offer they will not refuse. If we have 600-700K no way Cas will refuse it. Williams is not in the same bracket as Gale atm. Williams is just a bit over hyped decent SL player.

NRL will eat him up spit him out. Bateman will struggle a bit but Sutton could go very well. But Williams lack of kicking game in terms of controlling a game is really poor and that is a no no in the NRL. If he goes he will be back quicker than Bateman and Sutton.

I have no issue in any player going for more money. But I do have real issue in a player signing a deal and 12 months later goes to the media and says he wants to go. Total disloyalty for me. And as some say look at Edwards he gets his dream job but waits a season to fulfil his contractual obligations.
But how do we get them in under the cap? Williams costs £75k.
What would they cost 100k or 150k on the cap. Seems Powell days are numbered so need to safe 70kish. Especially if Lam brings his son over who would be i assume on less than Powell.

Also if we had too put Faz as marquee. Think we can jiggle a player in especially if all we need is to reduce the cap by shifting a player on to marquee to give us a bit of leeway.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

thegimble wrote:
thegimble wrote:
Even though he is 33 Benji Marshall would be worth a punt. Better than what we have now. Thurston is out of contract I think though 35 might fancy a year up here. After all if we got 200-300k for Bateman and got 400-500k for Williams given that Williams is already on a whack here. We could pay 1 player close to a million for 1 season. I know we would not do that but its an idea of the money we could offer someone for 2 years. 500k a season. Close to 750k ASD.

Or we could go for Sam Williams OOC in 2019. And if the money is right and substantial then players will come. Past has proved that.

If we are smart we let Williams go and get Luke Gale and make them an offer they will not refuse. If we have 600-700K no way Cas will refuse it. Williams is not in the same bracket as Gale atm. Williams is just a bit over hyped decent SL player.

NRL will eat him up spit him out. Bateman will struggle a bit but Sutton could go very well. But Williams lack of kicking game in terms of controlling a game is really poor and that is a no no in the NRL. If he goes he will be back quicker than Bateman and Sutton.

I have no issue in any player going for more money. But I do have real issue in a player signing a deal and 12 months later goes to the media and says he wants to go. Total disloyalty for me. And as some say look at Edwards he gets his dream job but waits a season to fulfil his contractual obligations.
But how do we get them in under the cap? Williams costs £75k.
What would they cost 100k or 150k on the cap. Seems Powell days are numbered so need to safe 70kish. Especially if Lam brings his son over who would be i assume on less than Powell.

Also if we had too put Faz as marquee. Think we can jiggle a player in especially if all we need is to reduce the cap by shifting a player on to marquee to give us a bit of leeway.
£150k. Now I could live with the Powell arrangement but not Faz as marquee. Australians tend to be on much more than our boys (one of our current lads is going to Aus for four times the salary) so I am not sure that Lachlan will come cheap, if he comes at all. I don't think that we would be able to accommodate Lam and a marquee player just by letting Powell go.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

RIP George is off to the NRL its all about how much money IL gets offered as usual. Quotes "WE do not want him to go " till we are offered a big sum of money as is the usual with our club, then they are gone with a promise to soften the blow he will be returning in 3 years, Yes I bet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ps i sent out some pms to members he was going 2 weeks ago so this is not just happened, but i was told Parramatta so looks like more clubs have interest
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If a player says he's been offered zillions in the NRL there's not a lot the club can do about it. Take as much money as you can get then look elsewhere.
With Lam and Edwards searching for GW's replacement I'm sure they'll get a quality player. If anyone knows what they are looking for its those two.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

A persons honesty says a lot about a player
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

thegimble wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: But how do we get them in under the cap? Williams costs £75k.

£150k. Now I could live with the Powell arrangement but not Faz as marquee. Australians tend to be on much more than our boys (one of our current lads is going to Aus for four times the salary) so I am not sure that Lachlan will come cheap, if he comes at all. I don't think that we would be able to accommodate Lam and a marquee player just by letting Powell go.
We would have 2 marque spots unless zh becomes one. Point re faz is if wr put his wages on the marqee only 75k would go on it. I know he is not tgat standard but tbh neither is GW atm.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Is there any player really left in this team worthy of a marquee?

Probably one would go to Lam's son and the other a replacement for Williams from overseas
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ddtftf wrote:A persons honesty says a lot about a player, S Edwards is seeing out his contract and was also offered a lot of money, when you take a big payday that guarantees your future for 4 years you should honor it not take the highest bidder that comes along or contracts may as well be burned. If the club cancelled the 4 year contract with George then he would sue them ???????? mmmmmmmm
The point of contracts is to ensure the club is compensated if the player is in demand elsewhere and wants to leave. If George got into his last year we'd be looking to extend if only to ensure he couldn't leave as a free agent.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

or stop players from swapping from one team too another the first time they are offered a few pounds more than the current team's contract........ just a thought :cool:

The "fact" Williams wants to go is because some clubs are flagrantly approaching players still under contract and then illegally persuading them to break that contract in return for better rewards
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
thegimble wrote: I have no issue in any player going for more money. But I do have real issue in a player signing a deal and 12 months later goes to the media and says he wants to go. Total disloyalty for me. And as some say look at Edwards he gets his dream job but waits a season to fulfil his contractual obligations.
Spot on there.

It's disgusting that he'just signed a marquee contract and then wants to renege on it. He's not ancient and he's certainly not loyal!
I agree with this. As soon as he signed that deal all thought of leaving should have gone from his head. I thought at the time he had seen sense, realised he was not ready for the NRL but I fully expected him to go to Oz at the end of the deal having matured into a player that was ready for the NRL.

No issue with that at all because although I never want us to lose our best players to the NRL I accept if or until we can match their wages this is what will happen. All I want in the meantime is for the players to honour the deals they sign.

The fact Wane said he did the interview quite a while ago says to me he the bloody ink wasn't dry on the contract before he starts saying he wants out. Disgraceful behaviour.

The club could have gone hunting for a half back elsewhere to make a marquee player. By offering him a long deal the club was clearly planning on having him around for that period of time. That was said in the press releases when the deal was done IIRC. This sort of thing stuffs up the planning big time.

The one glimmer of hope is if that interview was done some time ago when he did not know Lam and Edwards were to be coaching Wigan, you might think the prospect of being coached by them might make him think twice. As others think, I also believe he is not remotely ready for the NRL so if he and his agent had any common sense he'd see his deal out.

If on the other hand his head has been irrevocably turned to the extent he wants to renege on his deal the club should make it plain he can only leave for a very substantial fee in compensation for not having him around for the planned term and if no fee is forthcoming, he is going nowhere.

The really daft thing is given he is a marquee player I don't think an NRL club is going to be offering him much more money. To them he will be a project player and you do not pay them massive wages even in the NRL. He's not the real deal like Bateman. If he ends up going for not much more wages he is being badly advised because he's not ready.

One thing is for sure if he does leave I do not want him back. This is not a Bateman type exit where his deal has been honoured. Untrustworthy players should not have a bolt hole back here.