Signings for 2019

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Signings for 2019

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Don't expect much. IFL was saying tonight Greenwood, Hardaker and Bullock have been signed to replace outgoing players and that all we need is a scrum half! I hope that he is kidding!!!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jaws1

Re: Signings for 2019

Post by jaws1 »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Don't expect much. IFL was saying tonight Greenwood, Hardaker and Bullock have been signed to replace outgoing players and that all we need is a scrum half! I hope that he is kidding!!!

Radlinsky in interview before match hinted that were could be more players coming to Wigan to strengthen the squad?
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Players who have gone or are rumoured off since the end of last season

1. FPN
2. MM
3. Sam
4. Williams
5. Bateman
6. Sutton
7. Gelling
8. Joel
9. Tierney
10. Bretherton
11. Gregson
12. Powell
13. TT
14. Escare

Players recruited or rumoured to be arriving

1. Hardaker
2. Sarginson
3. Hankinson
4. Greenwood
5. Bullock
6. Lam jnr

I'm sorry but the recruits do not match in numbers even remotely the players going, even if you argue that some were squad players, You could even include the likes of Fell or Shorrocks etc

Some of those recruited are lower league clubs so cannot have had a fortune spent on recruiting. Wigan MUST have a massive war chest for salary cap spends or we as a club are spinning too much money around on too many players who do not give value for money
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It’s an interesting list for sure..I do wonder if there’s a little bit of housekeeping going on at the moment?

FPN must have been earning (I use that term loosely) a fair ole wedge yet he was never replaced,the club has made losses I wonder if cloth cutting is going on to bring the club on a more even keel no bad thing of course in these uncertain times,now the flip side of that is you can do it if your unearthing a Williams or Gildart every season,but while there are some good prospects in the academy to me they’re not ready,Kibula for instance is a hell of a prospect but it could take a couple of years for him to find his place,no reflection on the lad at all but at the moment to me he’s not quite ready at least in the for instance Gildart was,just me opinion on him but he’s a mouthwaterin prospect if he fulfils his potential.

Now all this is me just musing on things and am probably way off the mark(I usually am)and next week they’ll announce a huge signing but we will see I suppose.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't think you're far off the mark, fozzie, and I'm not holding my breath for any big signings either.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

fozzieskem wrote:It’s an interesting list for sure..I do wonder if there’s a little bit of housekeeping going on at the moment?

FPN must have been earning (I use that term loosely) a fair ole wedge yet he was never replaced,the club has made losses I wonder if cloth cutting is going on to bring the club on a more even keel no bad thing of course in these uncertain times,now the flip side of that is you can do it if your unearthing a Williams or Gildart every season,but while there are some good prospects in the academy to me they’re not ready,Kibula for instance is a hell of a prospect but it could take a couple of years for him to find his place,no reflection on the lad at all but at the moment to me he’s not quite ready at least in the for instance Gildart was,just me opinion on him but he’s a mouthwaterin prospect if he fulfils his potential.

Now all this is me just musing on things and am probably way off the mark(I usually am)and next week they’ll announce a huge signing but we will see I suppose.
There are a few young lads who we should be looking to keep hold of, starting with those who have impressed in debut this year. I always complain about opportunities for the youngsters, especially without a proper reserves set up. They will want paying and increases for hitting targets even if they do not make it. As for rugby union converts I always think that some of the, fringe, back row forwards, 6-8, and centres could be converted if given time.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

If you read IFL's comments in the rugby league press then don't expect too many incomings!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:If you read IFL's comments in the rugby league press then don't expect too many incomings!
To be fair if you read IL comments and he follows them through then Wigan will not recruit anyone and won't (can't) for a year or two

Why?

Because as a club we "do deals" with players that want to sample the Australian lifestyle and money. Those that fail or become homesick - we offer a welcoming mat and a contract to suit

Already we have stated Batemen will be a marquee if and when he decides his time is up overseas, who can say if Sutton and/or any other player (thinking more Williams here) are not offered the similar terms with the opportunity to return.

Now logically, this means the club HAS to keep cap space available should the worst happen (for the players) and they want a return pronto. Worst case for the club, players don't come running back but we are forced to keep cap space available but because of this, are not able to replace those that have gone either.

Simples. The club's attitude to its players coming and going and simply using Wigan as a travel agent is going to hamstring the team strengthening as long as the club keeps these open ended options to return going for each and every player
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Don't think we need that many.
If Lam arrives and goes into half back and Williams stays for 2019 then most other positions are covered.
We also have plenty younger players waiting their opportunity.
Let's wait until AL & SE have had a good look at the squad to see what they think regarding departures and arrivals.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Don't think we need that many.
If Lam arrives and goes into half back and Williams stays for 2019 then most other positions are covered.
We also have plenty younger players waiting their opportunity.
Let's wait until AL & SE have had a good look at the squad to see what they think regarding departures and arrivals.

We have a pretty strong squad apart from scrum half we have a depth of players not quite ready for SL yet as back up. Lets hope they can play better without the shackles on IMHO we are too structured.