'High-profile' rugby union signings

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
fozzieskem

Re: 'High-profile' rugby union signings

Post by fozzieskem »

Richymac wrote:If we are looking for Union players then I feel we should be looking at Scotland. The young players coming through at both Edinburgh and Glasgow are excellent and are taught to play fast and exciting rugby early on in the academy. Also I don’t think they will be on big money contracts so could be persuaded.
That’s a good call actually,target areas that perhaps would be open to moving over rather than chase fading stars
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Using the term high profile produces inflated expectations. We are unlikely to be able to compete in salary terms for starting Premiership players players and so are more likely to be targeting those who are at the start of towards the end of their careers. I do not know what the salary cap is for Scottish, Irish or Welsh regional teams but it is over twice what ours is in the Premiership. I know that RU teams have a far bigger squad than ours and they all run a reserves competition so some players may well fall within our reach.
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

I am still adamant that , at the back end of his career when he has won everything, which he currently has now except for the WC.

Owen Farrell will play for Wigan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Brad5926 wrote:I am still adamant that , at the back end of his career when he has won everything, which he currently has now except for the WC.

Owen Farrell will play for Wigan
If we've got to wait until England win the WC again, he'll need a Zimmer! :lol:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Didn't Owen Farrell sign a 5 year deal with Saracens earlier this year? He's 28 now so that will take him to the back end of any Rugby career. Whether we offer him a deal then I don't know.
Publicity wise it would be massive.
In his interview Shaun Edwards talked about high profile Union players maybe signing for Wigan in 3-4 years.
That's quite a time off.
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Didn't Owen Farrell sign a 5 year deal with Saracens earlier this year? He's 28 now so that will take him to the back end of any Rugby career. Whether we offer him a deal then I don't know.
Publicity wise it would be massive.
In his interview Shaun Edwards talked about high profile Union players maybe signing for Wigan in 3-4 years.
That's quite a time off.
Owen turns 27 next month, when his contract runs out in 2022 he is 31. After 2019 WC the next WC is 2023, he's then 32, if he's still killing the game that will be his last, if he has had injuries or a new kid is on the block etc etc why would he not, he's a mad Wigan fan still. He will have made all the money in the world for him and his wife. What would 2-4 years be to play for his hometown club he's always supported?

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Edwards said 3-4 years for High Profile signings and he will know.
OF may sign who knows but 2022/3 is a long way off from 2018 when we will have an almost different squad in the normal run of things.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Why assume that Owen Farrell will be as good in RL as he is in RU its not guaranteed and could be a costly mistake, you could be just paying for a good place kicker