New Recruit?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
old hooker

Re: New Recruit?

Post by old hooker »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
old hooker wrote:
jao711 wrote:. Like the £600,000 loss he topped up last year.
You believe that he has given 600 ģrànd without a proviso that he will get it back
then thats fine.IL is a hard nosed successful businessman and they give nothing away.That is not a criticism just a fact. I am just surprised that people are naive enough to think he is a good hearted benefactor.
Like it or not without him we would not be functioning!
Of course Wigan RL would disappear never to be seen again without IL. Silly statement
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

old hooker wrote:
old hooker wrote: You believe that he has given 600 ģrànd without a proviso that he will get it back
then thats fine.IL is a hard nosed successful businessman and they give nothing away.That is not a criticism just a fact. I am just surprised that people are naive enough to think he is a good hearted benefactor.
Of course Wigan RL would disappear never to be seen again without IL. Silly statement
But would we be as successful. We had a rich owner in DW but we could not keep up with Saint's Leeds abd the Bulls for a long time.

I agree we would be here but we are better off with him than we were with DW and MO in the SL era.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

old hooker wrote:
old hooker wrote: You believe that he has given 600 ģrànd without a proviso that he will get it back
I didn't say that.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

DaveO wrote:
So there isn't another potential owner or owners out there with deeper pockets? Or one(s) with a better ability to raise more revenue for the club through sponsorship than IL has managed?

The last cunning plan (the trip to Oz) didn't work out financially and the one before that (taking the game to London) did nothing either.

With sponsorship at a premium and gates falling now is when you need an owner or owners with very deep pockets.

With IL the club has all its eggs in the IL basket. If he isn't rich enough or is not prepared to be even more generous than he already has been or is not capable of generating better sponsorship then we won't be making any marquee signings.

Saints have several board members who all chip in financially. I presume they all have input into the running of the club. With Wigan it is IL and yes-man Rads. Does IL have a monopoly on good ideas? Would the club benefit from the addition of a couple of board members who may have links to other potential sponsors?

I doubt we will find out while IL owns the club because it's "his" club with his 90-odd percent ownership of shares. This is ultimately not healthy IMO.
My understanding is that the club made a profit on the Aus trip.

Who is the owner of Saints? I am not aware of the board members at Saints contributing financially to the club's funds, even if they do they are still struggling financially, they have not taken advantage of the two marquee player rule and their success on the field is way behind Wigan.

Rugby League in this country mainly exists due to the generosity of a few wealthy owners, I didn't see many queuing up to buy Wigan when Whelan decided to sell. The game in general is not generating sponsorship of any great value. Wigan's main sponsor paid more than the league's sponsor last year so IFL seems to be doing ok but I am sure he would like to do better.

No, IFL does not have a monopoly on good ideas and yes the club would probably benefit from the addition of a couple of board members who may have links to other potential sponsors but where do you find them? Are any rushing in to throw money at the club? What would they want in return? Remember the famous four, they nearly bankrupted the club!
jao711

Post by jao711 »

old hooker wrote:
jao711 wrote:
old hooker wrote: Of course he would ask,but doesnt mean hed get them.No matter what people say Lenaghan does what he wants and that does not mean spending lots of money.
. Like the £600,000 loss he topped up last year.
You believe that he has given 600 ģrànd without a proviso that he will get it back
. Well you see I don’t mix in those circles, perhaps you do.
ian b

Post by ian b »

Ian Lenegan is a great business man and Wigan win the league again, makes me happy !!!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Like it or not without him we would not be functioning!
So there isn't another potential owner or owners out there with deeper pockets? Or one(s) with a better ability to raise more revenue for the club through sponsorship than IL has managed?

The last cunning plan (the trip to Oz) didn't work out financially and the one before that (taking the game to London) did nothing either.

With sponsorship at a premium and gates falling now is when you need an owner or owners with very deep pockets.

With IL the club has all its eggs in the IL basket. If he isn't rich enough or is not prepared to be even more generous than he already has been or is not capable of generating better sponsorship then we won't be making any marquee signings.

Saints have several board members who all chip in financially. I presume they all have input into the running of the club. With Wigan it is IL and yes-man Rads. Does IL have a monopoly on good ideas? Would the club benefit from the addition of a couple of board members who may have links to other potential sponsors?

I doubt we will find out while IL owns the club because it's "his" club with his 90-odd percent ownership of shares. This is ultimately not healthy IMO.
My understanding is that the club made a profit on the Aus trip.

Who is the owner of Saints? I am not aware of the board members at Saints contributing financially to the club's funds, even if they do they are still struggling financially, they have not taken advantage of the two marquee player rule and their success on the field is way behind Wigan.

Rugby League in this country mainly exists due to the generosity of a few wealthy owners, I didn't see many queuing up to buy Wigan when Whelan decided to sell. The game in general is not generating sponsorship of any great value. Wigan's main sponsor paid more than the league's sponsor last year so IFL seems to be doing ok but I am sure he would like to do better.

No, IFL does not have a monopoly on good ideas and yes the club would probably benefit from the addition of a couple of board members who may have links to other potential sponsors but where do you find them? Are any rushing in to throw money at the club? What would they want in return? Remember the famous four, they nearly bankrupted the club!
I recall Lenegan saying the Oz trip paid for itself and certainly no losses but if there was a profit it was a small one, mind you the numbers being bandied about were never going to happen, it may have been a trick or ploy to garner interest it didn't work.

I hope that its a trip not to be repeated, lets be fair just because your the first to try something doesn't mean anything if it doesn't have the long term effect they where looking for, indeed all it did it seemed to me was piss fans off at home, the main market, the poor attendance of last season I feel was in part down to the Australian trip, but that's just my guess, and you stop people going at your peril, its an easy habit to break.

I said a few times nothing more than an educated guess last season there was housekeeping going on and so its been the case,ive not problem with that, if the club can't afford two marquee players don't have 2 simple as that, books have to be balanced at some point I think the club reached that point last season,i don't really have any issues with Lenegans running of the club I don't and won't agree with everything he does and I certainly won't keep quiet if he does something I feel is wrong but he gets a fair few things right.

The future though is perhaps the biggest concern are his family prepared to prop the club up when he's gone? that is the bigger question and one he should start to look attend maybe bring some new blood on the board to see his abdication is a smooth one in the coming years.
shaunedwardsfanclub

At least one of his sons are involved.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Can we stop doing ‘multiple quotes’ Please?

They are beginning to take up a full page & it takes ages to scroll back & forth trying to find the bit that is being replied to!

Thank you ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Thank you Josie.