widdup

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
No straw damn us

Re: widdup

Post by No straw damn us »

ddtftf wrote:You know as well as i do that planning will be given for housing :blush: :blush:
It's just been refused in Billinge, and one of the reasons was limited access.
Wes

Post by Wes »

No straw damn us wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:44 pm
ddtftf wrote:You know as well as i do that planning will be given for housing :blush: :blush:
Where was it refused?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Could the club/Lenagan not just buy a house that backs onto the pitch and demolish it, or is that sort of thing not allowed?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Pretty sure there is a road dead ended on the jam butty estate that was put in just in case.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

They will appeal to the government and the council will be over ruled wait and see :oops: :oops: :oops:
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wes wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:57 pm
Where was it refused?
The land off Robywell Way, adjoining Stuart Crescent, Ash Grove Crescent up to Beacon Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4999709 ... a=!3m1!1e3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:11 pm As for bringing more money into the club, it has been suggested that further investment should be sought from individuals other than IL. Well, that would be fine, if these people with millions to burn could only be located. If, for example, it became known that there was a Koukash-style guy out there itching to pump money into the Club, but IL was blocking it, then you might have cause for complaint. But that isn't the case, is it?
No one has suggested "there was a Koukash-style guy out there itching to pump money into the Club, but IL was blocking it". Rather that he should go out and look for investors. I really doubt they are just going to pitch up and knock on the door.

No one has said it is easy to "find people with millions to burn" either but it's a chairman's/CEO's job to seek investment into his company when it needs it. In RL that boils down to three things. Money from yourself as CEO (or your own company as sponsor), money from sponsorship or money from other investors willing to put money into the club.

We have a club making a loss, a chairman who says we are cost cutting as a result and so has us signing championship players and not chasing world class players. So the losses are affecting the first team.

What that boils down to is he has failed to secure sufficient investment from any of those avenues of potential funds.

Using investment off-pitch as an excuse as I have seen elsewhere in the thread is just that, an excuse. It is making a loss so it's simple - it is spending more than its income so it can't afford it. I am not sure why developing Robin Park should affect the operating revenue of the playing side of the club anyway. You'd think any investment in such things would need to be based on loans and mortgages due to the sheer size, not nicking a few hundred grand off the playing budget for 2019.

My own personal view is IL is not interested seeking other investors. He owns 98% (or something like that) of the club and is not interested in giving up any of it to other directors as he'd have to take note of them and might even be challenged one day by one of them. It would lessen his control and I do not think that would suit him at all. If I am right or if he has sought but can't find other investors he needs to start proving what a master businessman he is by securing a major sponsor. Yes that might be hard to do but if he wants to be the 98% owner it all falls on him to do this. I reckon his master plan is hold on until a better TV deal can be negotiated and like magic, that will solve the cash problem for him because I don't think he can.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

You make some points which I certainly agree with Dave,it is down to him to be looking at bringing in new money that most certainly falls on him,as you say.

I highly doubt that the next TV deal will better this current one if I’m honest,Sky are under new owners and may not want to throw cash about on a minority sport such as rugby league,so it is up to him now as he isn’t getting any younger to be looking longer term at fresh investment to come in or else the club will be in trouble
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Dave O: We have a club making a loss, a chairman who says we are cost cutting as a result and so has us signing championship players and not chasing world class players. So the losses are affecting the first team.
Similar to what you said last year, Dave. It affected the first team so badly that we won the GF :D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I note that Toronto have secured big investment to forward the club,interesting that a start up club can attract big money yet over here we as a sport fight over mushy peas as sponsors