Salary Cap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
fozzieskem

Re: Salary Cap

Post by fozzieskem »

old hooker wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:51 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:22 pm
old hooker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 pm

If it does more clubs will fold and Saints and Leeds will win everything every year.Wigan may also be up there if Lenaghan sells up but while he is in charge we wont spend
Clubs are folding with the cap, hello there Widnes how's your bank account today?,Bradford hello how's you doing?

Clubs are folding with the cap, thatll happen with it or not, for your fear of just saints and Leeds winning all the time your argument doesn't make sense as thats what's happened throughout the salary cap era, there wouldn't be a change, other than perhaps getting stars from the NRL at the height of their careers not when the local dog catchers have visited their houses
You have not read my post properly,i said more clubs will go under,i am aware of Bradford and Widnes.Saints and Leeds do not win everything,other clubs have won the GF,several the challenge cup and LLS.I am not saying the cap is the perfect scenario but it is the best option.There are no oil rich arabs going to solv e our problems by buying Batley,Whitehaven,Keighley etc then start throwing money at the NRL for its best players.Whether we like it or not RL is a poor cousin to Football and RU and is a dying game and it will die quicker if we scrap the SC.
I certainly respect your opinion but I’m the polar opposite the cap isn’t working and the game is dying because of it,4 winners in the salary cap era of the GF shows it doesn’t matter about the cap,the playing field hasn’t levelled it’s just got poorer .

Anyways I think that’s where I’ll leave it for now :)
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Lazy J wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 am Paying a players wife or partner is covered in the salary cap rules, it forms part of the players salary cap value.

It was one of the many loopholes we and others have used in the past, Steve Renouf and Brett Dallas wives were employed in the club office

Saints used the flying over Singapore image rights trick

I’m sure other clubs used similar mechanisms
So LJ would you say that a club who is paying a SL players wife to play women’s rugby league is breaking the cap?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 pm
Lazy J wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 am Paying a players wife or partner is covered in the salary cap rules, it forms part of the players salary cap value.

It was one of the many loopholes we and others have used in the past, Steve Renouf and Brett Dallas wives were employed in the club office

Saints used the flying over Singapore image rights trick

I’m sure other clubs used similar mechanisms
So LJ would you say that a club who is paying a SL players wife to play women’s rugby league is breaking the cap?
I really would like where you get this information from?? Or is it just rumours & tittle tattle??

I’ve heard this said about other Wigan players wives or girlfriends which I know for a fact is wrong!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Dallas mentioned it in an interview, he never directly said its to get round the cap, but he said some thing along the lines of the club have made it really easy to settle, they even found my wife a job in the office.

Renouf may be rumors but they were pretty prevalent at the the time, given the cap had just come down when we signed him
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

old hooker wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:51 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:22 pm
old hooker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 pm

If it does more clubs will fold and Saints and Leeds will win everything every year.Wigan may also be up there if Lenaghan sells up but while he is in charge we wont spend
Clubs are folding with the cap, hello there Widnes how's your bank account today?,Bradford hello how's you doing?

Clubs are folding with the cap, thatll happen with it or not, for your fear of just saints and Leeds winning all the time your argument doesn't make sense as thats what's happened throughout the salary cap era, there wouldn't be a change, other than perhaps getting stars from the NRL at the height of their careers not when the local dog catchers have visited their houses
You have not read my post properly,i said more clubs will go under,i am aware of Bradford and Widnes.Saints and Leeds do not win everything,other clubs have won the GF,several the challenge cup and LLS.I am not saying the cap is the perfect scenario but it is the best option.There are no oil rich arabs going to solv e our problems by buying Batley,Whitehaven,Keighley etc then start throwing money at the NRL for its best players.Whether we like it or not RL is a poor cousin to Football and RU and is a dying game and it will die quicker if we scrap the SC.
why will more clubs go under though? genuine question because a lot of people say this when it comes to the cap its just assumed it will stop clubs from going under but to me that seems a loose argument, it may stop a club being able to compete but this logic infers that a team will simply spend all its money till it goes under to compete, they may just carry on running within a budget. People running clubs make them go under not a cap.

You also mention there are no oil barons etc, well there is no incentive for there to be, koukash could of been one of those people - but what is the incentive to pump money into a sport which will not allow you to invest to win.

I said in another thread sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate ridding ourselves of the cap would allow teams to let players promote themselves through advertising. That advertising would then in turn help promote the game getting faces known outside the sport etc etc. In football City had millions pumped into the club and now they are the gold standard and its simple you want to beat them you need to invest to do so - in other words in football you have to bring your club up to the best rather than bring the best down to you.

At some stage Rugby League will cease to be a mainstream sport if money isn't injected into it soon - that for me can only happen if the clubs are in charge of their own destiny not like now getting pocket money from the RFL. Some clubs may fold but thats sport, other clubs can take their place, lose a Widnes gain a Toronto.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Exactly my point,who will pump money into RL whether there is a cap or not.There is some kudos in being the owner of Man u,City,Liverpool or even lesser clubs that can draw decent crowds.Same with RU but who, with millions of pounds would buy Batley,Keighley or Whitehaven? As you said Koukash was one and it didnt take him too long to realise that RL is a minor sport and will remain so.Sad but true.
Wigan_forever1985

old hooker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:53 am Exactly my point,who will pump money into RL whether there is a cap or not.There is some kudos in being the owner of Man u,City,Liverpool or even lesser clubs that can draw decent crowds.Same with RU but who, with millions of pounds would buy Batley,Keighley or Whitehaven? As you said Koukash was one and it didnt take him too long to realise that RL is a minor sport and will remain so.Sad but true.
I think Koukashes main problem was he wasnt able to invest money as he saw fit nothing to do with the sports status, if he were allowed to he may have brought some star aussies over, at the end of the day i feel Rugby League failed to capitalise on Koukash rather than him losing interest.

You need to grow the sport but you cant do that if the clubs are funded by pocket money from the RFL you have to let clubs run free and drum up business. The players are the only way you can do that but they are tied down and cant really do anything advertising wise outside of the sport due to the cap!

What i would say is if the sport would capitulate without the cap then maybe its time to let it die because it will never grow
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Let’s not forget Toronto SL owner is a billionaire is t he,the mo way he’s ploughed I to the club is unreal,there are people out there but why invest when there aren’t any stars in the sport?

Kudos to Warrington at least they’re bucking the trend,same can be said of Leeds but I do t think they’ve bought as well as wire have done.

There is money even in these harder times but it has to be an attractive proposition for them to come into the sport
Wigan_forever1985

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:11 pm Let’s not forget Toronto SL owner is a billionaire is t he,the mo way he’s ploughed I to the club is unreal,there are people out there but why invest when there aren’t any stars in the sport?

Kudos to Warrington at least they’re bucking the trend,same can be said of Leeds but I do t think they’ve bought as well as wire have done.

There is money even in these harder times but it has to be an attractive proposition for them to come into the sport
this
pedro

Post by pedro »

Lazy J wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:50 am Dallas mentioned it in an interview, he never directly said its to get round the cap, but he said some thing along the lines of the club have made it really easy to settle, they even found my wife a job in the office.

Renouf may be rumors but they were pretty prevalent at the the time, given the cap had just come down when we signed him
we got dispensation when the cap came in as we were over but cant just release people. We got rid of Renouf due to the cap. (in rads book)