Chris Atkin

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Fujiman

Re: Chris Atkin

Post by Fujiman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 am I think Hull KR and London will be the bottom clubs this year and we will not be in a relegation battle come the end of the season.

The signings other clubs are making in comparison to our own is very worrying. Whilst we can applaud signings such as Bullock, they need to be balanced with experienced and exciting players from other clubs. There is no evidence that relying on home grown players and project players to the extent we do brings success. In any sport...

We have continually replaced our best performers with:
- Youth
- Players who were not originally in our starting 13
- Project Players

We have also let other key performers get older without any sign of a back up plan - Lockers, Tommy.

I think a lot of this comes down to IL and KR view of the club and the market. They seem very arrogant and blindfolded by the fact they can keep producing home-grown players and cheap project players and compete. Whilst it has brought some success we need to factor in the job Wane did and the quality of the league. Most of us felt this years performance was a long time coming based on the INs vs OUTs.

It is also worrying that IL and KR do not seem to think that signing experienced or exciting NRL or players from other Super League clubs brings benefits other than playing ability. They fail to ever mention it could bring in extra seats and bring more excitement back to the club. We all talk about Lam, Barrett, Finch etc...How are they so blind?
Maybe the philosophy of youth and project players was a vision of Waney that IL & KR bought into?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:57 am If we loose at Wakfield and then against St Helens with Huddersfield winning last night & Leeds bringing in new players from Australia we could be in a very dangerous position we cannot get out of :oops: :oops: :oops:
We will lose our next two games.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

Fujiman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 am I think Hull KR and London will be the bottom clubs this year and we will not be in a relegation battle come the end of the season.

The signings other clubs are making in comparison to our own is very worrying. Whilst we can applaud signings such as Bullock, they need to be balanced with experienced and exciting players from other clubs. There is no evidence that relying on home grown players and project players to the extent we do brings success. In any sport...

- Youth
- Project Players

We have also let other key performers get older without any sign of a back up plan - Lockers, Tommy.

I think a lot of this comes down to IL and KR view of the club and the market. They seem very arrogant and blindfolded by the fact they can keep producing home-grown players and cheap project players and compete. Whilst it has brought some success we need to factor in the job Wane did and the quality of the league. Most of us felt this years performance was a long time coming based on the INs vs OUTs.

It is also worrying that IL and KR do not seem to think that signing experienced or exciting NRL or players from other Super League clubs brings benefits other than playing ability. They fail to ever mention it could bring in extra seats and bring more excitement back to the club. We all talk about Lam, Barrett, Finch etc...How are they so blind?
Maybe the philosophy of youth and project players was a vision of Waney that IL & KR bought into?
I think you're right. Lenegan had no issue buying big name players pre-2012 (Barrett, Deacon, Finch, Hoffman, Lima) but when Wane took over and managed to win so many trophies with young players and project signings it seems to have persuaded Lenagan that he doesn't need to spend money.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Woody1989 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am I think you're right. Lenegan had no issue buying big name players pre-2012 (Barrett, Deacon, Finch, Hoffman, Lima) but when Wane took over and managed to win so many trophies with young players and project signings it seems to have persuaded Lenagan that he doesn't need to spend money.
But those “young players” are mostly what Wane had brought thru the Academy anyway.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bertina

Post by bertina »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:54 am Amazing that Leeds in the same position as us have signed a big tough Aus prop and say 4 more players to come , they seem to fill spots and we look on in envy at new players coming in to strengthen their team. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
A big tough Aussie prop. Like Frank Paul the wrecking ball you mean.?
Took a big chunk of our cap and did jack s**t
It's halves and three quarters we need to look at the NRL for. They seem to churn them out all the time whereas over here we always seem to be lacking in these areas. That's where they've killed us in the international game for years.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Point of fact, Frank Paul the wrecking ball is a New Zealander, Not an Aussie :D
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Beg to differ the Ausies beat us up in the forwards for many years til the Burgess Brothers came on the scene in recent years , we had Hanley / Edwards / Gregory / Offia in the back line and still got beaten up by their forwards . Anyone who understands rugby will see the result of big powerful forwards by watching the Castleford second half when all the good work by the backs was undone by the lack of forward power .
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:04 pm Beg to differ the Ausies beat us up in the forwards for many years til the Burgess Brothers came on the scene in recent years , we had Hanley / Edwards / Gregory / Offia in the back line and still got beaten up by their forwards . Anyone who understands rugby will see the result of big powerful forwards by watching the Castleford second half when all the good work by the backs was undone by the lack of forward power .
bang on
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 am

- Youth
- Project Players

Spot on. Why anyone has any faith that the current regime is out there looking for quality replacements for players coming to the end of their careers or to plug obvious gaps in the squad I have no idea.

IL has always been looking for a bargain. He started with Mathers and Pryce and at the time I had no issue with it because I thought we were maxed out on the cap due to the previous regime and these two might have done OK. Trouble is here we are as Champions still looking at championship standard players in the hope we can find a gem which is going to work as often as it does when you look for gems in the pool of home grown talent. Every now and again. We should be attracting the best players and filling the marquee slot with quality to help put bums on seats. At the moment I don't think Wigan looks very attractive given the fact it is obviously letting top players leave and the off field chaos.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I dont think an NRL player would put bum on seats. Youd have thought annoucing SE would do that but the DW looks as dead as ever.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.