Big Nose

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ancientnloyal

Re: Tony Smith

Post by ancientnloyal »

Didn’t Lam have good pedigree being an assistant at Sydney?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

And wasn't Lam head coach of PNG W/Cup squad, and they didn't do too bad for a lower nation, and I think ?? he's also now the Asst Coach to Mal Meninga for the Kangaroos ?
medlocke

Big Nose

Post by medlocke »

Serious About Rugby League reporting we are in for Tony Smith for head coach from next season, Hope not, However they also mentioned he could come in as rugby director to work alongside Lam, Maybe that would be ok as he does have bags of experience and could provide the team with a steadying hand, Personally I'd rather have any of Flanagan, Demetriou, Morgan, Kearney & Meninga
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Big Nose

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

I already posted this rumour a week ago under "Tony Smith" which sort of gives the rumour away :lol:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Tony smith left Warrington before he got sacked didnt he?

Would be bad idea. He stated hed fallen out of love with RL when he left.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:17 pm I already posted this rumour a week ago under "Tony Smith" which sort of gives the rumour away :lol:
Is it a newer rumour with more meat on the bone or have they just seen what you typed :o :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Now they are mentioning Chester, Dear God No, If this is true the Lenagan has yto find a new owner with ambition and pride in the club, I've nothing against Chester but think he has found his level at Wakey, Wew need a decent proven Aussie who doesn't have a big nose or Lammy
Last edited by medlocke on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:57 pm And wasn't Lam head coach of PNG W/Cup squad, and they didn't do too bad for a lower nation, and I think ?? he's also now the Asst Coach to Mal Meninga for the Kangaroos ?
From wikipedia:
Lam became coach of Papua New Guinea Kumuls national rugby league team in 2007, and was in charge for their 2008 Rugby League World Cup campaign. He quit as Kumuls' coach in 2009 after a dispute with the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League.

In June 2007 he was appointed inaugural coach of the new QRL Wizard Queensland Cup Northern Pride team based in Cairns. However, three months later he was offered the position of assistant coach at the NRL Sydney Roosters under their new coach Brad Fittler. Lam was released and he left Cairns for Sydney before the Pride's first game.

In 2009 he moved to the St. George Illawarra Dragons as assistant coach under Wayne Bennett.

Lam became the coach of the St George-Illawarra Dragons Under 20s team in 2010 and 2011. He returned as coach of Papua New Guinea in 2012.
Doesn't look much of a coaching pedigree to me. Coaching PNG is a part time job, he didn't last long at the Roosters and looks like he went backwards at the Dragons from assistant coach to under 20's.

Doesn't really matter though given he now has the chance to prove what he can do with a weaker squad than Wane had. If after the injuries clear he can get the team playing well enough to go on a cup run and push for a top five spot then that will count for more than his past record. He's been dealt a poor hand and top 5 may already be gone but even so, for him to be considered for the job there has to be much improvement between now and the end of the season so next seasons outlook is optimistic.

What I don't want to see is him given the job in the next couple of weeks. Needs to prove himself first.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Fully agree with Dave O. We shouldn't make a decision on Lammy yet unless the decision is for him to go at the end of his contract. We've not even won two in a row yet.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Why do people keep saying that top 5 has gone? We're only 6 points off third having just beaten Salford who themselves turned over 2nd place Wire on Good Friday. This league is still wide with more than half the season still remaining.

Of course it would take a good run from here and the key to that is getting some more bodies back and, given our luck with injuries so far, that's admittedly not a given.