Jackson Hastings ???

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
morley pie eater
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by morley pie eater » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:44 am

bertina wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:24 am
DaveO wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:15 pm
morley pie eater wrote:Whilst I agree that Hastings' signing could/should have been announced 5 or 6 weeks ago, I also suspect there's another angle that hasn't been mentioned.

The non-announcement has resulted in weeks of speculation and comment, on here, other forums, in the press and on-line. If it had been announced in May, wouldn't it have died down after a week or so?

If you were in charge of publicity, I think you may be rubbing your hands together and thinking about asking for a bonus?
Except most of the reaction to the non announcement from Wigan fans is negative and when it is announced it will be tell us something we don’t know.

Other clubs are announcing signings so their fans will be optimistic. We on the other hand are left wondering if our squad will ever be strengthened, whether IL shook hands on the deal or has really signed him or if we have been beaten to the punch by Leeds.

If they combine it with Williams announcing he’s off then it will just be seen as more stage management.
Oh come on Dave, let’s try and see some positivity for once.
We have had a lot of sickeners this year, but be fair, to get Hastings is good work by the powers that be.
Hopefully to be followed by one or maybe two more.
I wasn't arguing that it's necessarily a good or a bad thing to delay announcements. Just how it may be seen within the club: "All publicity is good..."?

I'm with Bertina though. Even if we don't like the way the announcement has been handled, kept in perspective, it's outweighed by getting a top signing. Surely we can all agree on that?

Fan4Fifty
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by Fan4Fifty » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 pm

If this doesn't happen now there's going to a few hens worth of egg on a lot of faces!! I can't agree that 'any publicity is good publicity' - great signing if true, but it all looks a bit ridiculous now with the hints from the coach who may, or may not, be coach about the player who may, or may not, be a Warrior next season.

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by Nezza Faz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Fan4Fifty wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 pm
If this doesn't happen now there's going to a few hens worth of egg on a lot of faces!! I can't agree that 'any publicity is good publicity' - great signing if true, but it all looks a bit ridiculous now with the hints from the coach who may, or may not, be coach about the player who may, or may not, be a Warrior next season.
But if they are still protecting the players wishes (despite the media publicity) ?
It does make it difficult for the club to make this announcement, and possibly get on the wrong side of the player, before he's ever worn the shirt.
Be damned if you do, and damned if you don't !

Fan4Fifty
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by Fan4Fifty » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:05 pm

The apparent winks, hints and nudges do suggest a 'we want to tell you, but are obliged not to' scenario, except this does seem to be the Wigan Way these days. However so many signings have been announced by so many other clubs that it's difficult to see what's different at Wigan. And if it is a Hastings-inspired delay, for which I would give him credit if it's out of respect for Salford, then he must be thoroughly fed up by the constant informed or misinformed speculation.

No straw damn us
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by No straw damn us » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Fan4Fifty wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:05 pm
The apparent winks, hints and nudges do suggest a 'we want to tell you, but are obliged not to' scenario, except this does seem to be the Wigan Way these days. However so many signings have been announced by so many other clubs that it's difficult to see what's different at Wigan. And if it is a Hastings-inspired delay, for which I would give him credit if it's out of respect for Salford, then he must be thoroughly fed up by the constant informed or misinformed speculation.
So many signings by other clubs? Who are they?

DaveO
Posts: 14345
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by DaveO » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:46 pm

bertina wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:15 pm
morley pie eater wrote:Whilst I agree that Hastings' signing could/should have been announced 5 or 6 weeks ago, I also suspect there's another angle that hasn't been mentioned.

The non-announcement has resulted in weeks of speculation and comment, on here, other forums, in the press and on-line. If it had been announced in May, wouldn't it have died down after a week or so?

If you were in charge of publicity, I think you may be rubbing your hands together and thinking about asking for a bonus?
Except most of the reaction to the non announcement from Wigan fans is negative and when it is announced it will be tell us something we don’t know.

Other clubs are announcing signings so their fans will be optimistic. We on the other hand are left wondering if our squad will ever be strengthened, whether IL shook hands on the deal or has really signed him or if we have been beaten to the punch by Leeds.

If they combine it with Williams announcing he’s off then it will just be seen as more stage management.
Oh come on Dave, let’s try and see some positivity for once.
We have had a lot of sickeners this year, but be fair, to get Hastings is good work by the powers that be.
Hopefully to be followed by one or maybe two more.
I was not commenting about the signing but the notion put forward that the faffing about by all concerned was good publicity.

Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 1939
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by Exiled Wiganer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:06 pm

If Hastings and Salford prefer it this way, then that’s how it has to be, he is still their player.
Canberra likewise have not announced Williams, presumably as agreed by all sides.
The club can’t do anything more than they are doing, presumably holding back both announcements until they can be made together.

DaveO
Posts: 14345
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by DaveO » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:11 pm

It’s just stupid though. Everyone thinks it’s done deal including the Salford fans and players and we even have IL trolling the fans in the program!

I fail to see what Salford or Hastings gain from dragging it out.

Woody1989
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by Woody1989 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 pm

DaveO wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:11 pm
It’s just stupid though. Everyone thinks it’s done deal including the Salford fans and players and we even have IL trolling the fans in the program!

I fail to see what Salford or Hastings gain from dragging it out.
Trolling the fans? I know you don't like Lenegan but do you really need to put a negative spin on everything the man does?

If they choose to wait to announce it then so be it, I agree it's a little bit daft when everyone seems to know but if Hastings is keeping it quiet out of respect for Salford then it's nice to see there's still some class left in sport.

ancientnloyal
Posts: 13950
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:33 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by ancientnloyal » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Just a statement he has signed for 2020 will do, he doesn’t need a Chris Ashton-Esque shirt photo
Rugby, Family and Strava... that’s about it for me tbh

I’ve seen Ellery Hanley, Martin Offiah and been dragged to Wigan games since memory... absolutely lucky!

Post Reply