Jackson Hastings ???

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
nathan_rugby
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by nathan_rugby » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:47 pm

moto748 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:29 pm
Wiganer123 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:16 am
Shaun Johnson plays for Cronilla not NZW
Maybe not much longer. Plenty of Sharks fans are pretty underwhelmed.

But as far as Wigan (and all SL clubs, come to that) are concerned, the bottom line seems to be,

from now, if you sign a talented player, you'll have him for one season, max, before he trots off to the NRL.
Why is that the bottom line?

Who has it happened with to date?

Other than hastings, who else has one of the clauses for NRL to talk after 1 year?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."

moto748
Posts: 2307
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by moto748 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Well nathan, none of us know the details of players' contracts, so it's all speculation. But given the wealth of the game in Oz these days, the likely-to-continue falling value of sterling relative to other currencies, and the increased willingness of NRL clubs to look to SL for cheap (to them) talent, I'd say it was very much the current trend. Contract fine print or no, we all recognise that it's hard to stand in players' way when they want to go.

Feel free to disagree, ofcourse. But I'm sure plenty of SL players are thinking, if John Bateman and Ryan Sutton can make a good living in Australia, why can't I?

User avatar
wall_of_voodoo
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:51 am

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by wall_of_voodoo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Well moto, Luke Thompson will "try out" the NRL next season and I am hearing another first team Wigan player is in advanced talks to join Penrith the year after

Simply put. Signing SL players are a "no-brainer" for the NRL clubs because the players come so relatively cheap. Canberra had proved the way and a number of other clubs without the financial clout of the Aussie "big" clubs are looking over here at what players are available and who could and want to make that step
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:

medlocke
Posts: 8360
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by medlocke » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 am

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 pm
Well moto, Luke Thompson will "try out" the NRL next season and I am hearing another first team Wigan player is in advanced talks to join Penrith the year after

Simply put. Signing SL players are a "no-brainer" for the NRL clubs because the players come so relatively cheap. Canberra had proved the way and a number of other clubs without the financial clout of the Aussie "big" clubs are looking over here at what players are available and who could and want to make that step
I'm guessing Gildart, that would explain signing Bibby

nathan_rugby
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by nathan_rugby » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:24 am

medlocke wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 am
wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 pm
Well moto, Luke Thompson will "try out" the NRL next season and I am hearing another first team Wigan player is in advanced talks to join Penrith the year after

Simply put. Signing SL players are a "no-brainer" for the NRL clubs because the players come so relatively cheap. Canberra had proved the way and a number of other clubs without the financial clout of the Aussie "big" clubs are looking over here at what players are available and who could and want to make that step
I'm guessing Gildart, that would explain signing Bibby
Our centre pairing next year cannot be Hankinson and Bibby. It would undo all of the other good recruitment.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."

fozzieskem
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by fozzieskem » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:50 am

medlocke wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 am
wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 pm
Well moto, Luke Thompson will "try out" the NRL next season and I am hearing another first team Wigan player is in advanced talks to join Penrith the year after

Simply put. Signing SL players are a "no-brainer" for the NRL clubs because the players come so relatively cheap. Canberra had proved the way and a number of other clubs without the financial clout of the Aussie "big" clubs are looking over here at what players are available and who could and want to make that step
I'm guessing Gildart, that would explain signing Bibby
He’s the only one I can think of and it goes some way to explain the Bibby signing as you say

josie andrews
Posts: 25213
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by josie andrews » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:18 pm

Bibby is also a winger!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

nathan_rugby
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by nathan_rugby » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:00 pm

josie andrews wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:18 pm
Bibby is also a winger!
I know, but given we have 5 wingers in the squad, all of which are better than him and Sarginson is leaving, we have to assume he is going to be starting centre don't we?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."

DaveO
Posts: 14414
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by DaveO » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:23 pm

wall_of_voodoo wrote:Well moto, Luke Thompson will "try out" the NRL next season and I am hearing another first team Wigan player is in advanced talks to join Penrith the year after
Well if this Wigan player is out of contract by then there is not a lot we can do about it if he wants to leave but if he is out of contract then he will have seen his Wigan deal out, so no issue with that.

What I can’t stand is players wanting to break contracts early. It’s all very one sided. They are happy to sign quite long contracts of say four years because if no NRL club comes sniffing they have the security of a long contract. Yet as soon as an NRL club shows interest they want to rip up the contract and our club has unfortunately set the precedent it won’t stand in their way. So no player fears signing a long contract with Wigan as they know that they can get out of it and that is without a break clause.

Now seemingly the club is even putting break clauses in, positively encouraging the players to look to see if they ought to exercise the option to leave half way through a contract.

I wonder if it’s about time the club limited contracts to two or three years maximum and said no break clause and no leaving early. If players won’t sign under those terms, look elsewhere.

Caboosegg
Posts: 1726
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by Caboosegg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:49 pm

DaveO wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:23 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote:Well moto, Luke Thompson will "try out" the NRL next season and I am hearing another first team Wigan player is in advanced talks to join Penrith the year after
Well if this Wigan player is out of contract by then there is not a lot we can do about it if he wants to leave but if he is out of contract then he will have seen his Wigan deal out, so no issue with that.

What I can’t stand is players wanting to break contracts early. It’s all very one sided. They are happy to sign quite long contracts of say four years because if no NRL club comes sniffing they have the security of a long contract. Yet as soon as an NRL club shows interest they want to rip up the contract and our club has unfortunately set the precedent it won’t stand in their way. So no player fears signing a long contract with Wigan as they know that they can get out of it and that is without a break clause.

Now seemingly the club is even putting break clauses in, positively encouraging the players to look to see if they ought to exercise the option to leave half way through a contract.

I wonder if it’s about time the club limited contracts to two or three years maximum and said no break clause and no leaving early. If players won’t sign under those terms, look elsewhere.
Out of curiosity would you have been happy if we missed out on hastings due to no clause?

I actually agree with you on this one but a major part of the issue is Agents, instead of helping to promote superleague they actively flaunt players to the NRL.
RL's biggest issue is the constant negativity of its own fans.

support verb [ (ENCOURAGE)

"to agree with and give encouragement to someone or something because you want him, her, or it to succeed"

Post Reply