Jackson Hastings ???

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wintergreen

Re: Jackson Hastings ???

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:23 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote:Well moto, Luke Thompson will "try out" the NRL next season and I am hearing another first team Wigan player is in advanced talks to join Penrith the year after
Well if this Wigan player is out of contract by then there is not a lot we can do about it if he wants to leave but if he is out of contract then he will have seen his Wigan deal out, so no issue with that.

What I can’t stand is players wanting to break contracts early. It’s all very one sided. They are happy to sign quite long contracts of say four years because if no NRL club comes sniffing they have the security of a long contract. Yet as soon as an NRL club shows interest they want to rip up the contract and our club has unfortunately set the precedent it won’t stand in their way. So no player fears signing a long contract with Wigan as they know that they can get out of it and that is without a break clause.

Now seemingly the club is even putting break clauses in, positively encouraging the players to look to see if they ought to exercise the option to leave half way through a contract.

I wonder if it’s about time the club limited contracts to two or three years maximum and said no break clause and no leaving early. If players won’t sign under those terms, look elsewhere.
Always has been when it comes to sports contracts.

You cannot "force" a player to stay in a club if he doesn't want to. Theoretically yes, practically no.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:23 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote:Well moto, Luke Thompson will "try out" the NRL next season and I am hearing another first team Wigan player is in advanced talks to join Penrith the year after
Well if this Wigan player is out of contract by then there is not a lot we can do about it if he wants to leave but if he is out of contract then he will have seen his Wigan deal out, so no issue with that.

What I can’t stand is players wanting to break contracts early. It’s all very one sided. They are happy to sign quite long contracts of say four years because if no NRL club comes sniffing they have the security of a long contract. Yet as soon as an NRL club shows interest they want to rip up the contract and our club has unfortunately set the precedent it won’t stand in their way. So no player fears signing a long contract with Wigan as they know that they can get out of it and that is without a break clause.

Now seemingly the club is even putting break clauses in, positively encouraging the players to look to see if they ought to exercise the option to leave half way through a contract.

I wonder if it’s about time the club limited contracts to two or three years maximum and said no break clause and no leaving early. If players won’t sign under those terms, look elsewhere.
Out of curiosity would you have been happy if we missed out on hastings due to no clause?

I actually agree with you on this one but a major part of the issue is Agents, instead of helping to promote superleague they actively flaunt players to the NRL.
You have to put a stake in the ground at some point but whether the club could afford to do that at this point in time is another matter.

I am sure agents play a big part in all this. They don’t make money if players don’t move.

It’s a personal preference but I’d sooner have the certainty of players for two or three years rather then sign them on some mythical long term deal. I think it just annoys fans that players are let go early and takes the gloss of signings as no one believes a player is going to stick around for five years.

Shorter contracts also don’t lumber the club with players they would rather move on when the NRL doesn’t come calling.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

If a very good young player is on a 5 year contract it costs a lot more to buy them out of it , if young Smithies had just been on a 2 year contract would everyone on here be happy ???
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:23 pm If a very good young player is on a 5 year contract it costs a lot more to buy them out of it , if young Smithies had just been on a 2 year contract would everyone on here be happy ???
I am with you Derrick. Smithies is on a longer deal but he wont be on huge money, in my view we should renegotiate its length now. Havard is another we need to sign up long term.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Ha ha Shaun you spelt my name right i am impressed :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ddtftf wrote:If a very good young player is on a 5 year contract it costs a lot more to buy them out of it , if young Smithies had just been on a 2 year contract would everyone on here be happy ???
A lot more? We only got £175k for our best forward.

We aren’t talking about young players anyway but giving senior players like Hastings a deal with a get out clause that means the length of any deal with such a clause is meaningless.

Signing young players on five year deals is almost as pointless because as soon as they make an impression they want a pay rise and a new contract anyway. No doubt with a get out clause.

If Smithies signed a longer deal without a get out clause great, if the club holds him to it.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

heard a little rumour wigan have spoke to josh drinkwater incase of hastings going direct to oz
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

stevo38 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:58 pm heard a little rumour wigan have spoke to josh drinkwater incase of hastings going direct to oz
Id love to see hastings in a wigan shirt but after winning MOS and the performance he put in on saturday. The NRL cannot be long off calling.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

He's been offered $aud500k from NRL clubs. If he stayed at Wigan and was even better still which he probably will be then he could be offered $aud1m a season from 2021.
Hope he comes to us!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:27 pm He's been offered $aud500k from NRL clubs. If he stayed at Wigan and was even better still which he probably will be then he could be offered $aud1m a season from 2021.
Hope he comes to us!
The Australian dollars no?

He’d be on similar money here at Wigan surely if not more and I’m sorry Southport beach is just as good as Bondi beach (if you close your eyes etc)