Bevan French

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Bevan French

Post by DaveO »

PGH1449 wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:20 pm
ddtftf wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:58 pm I ment to say French could be here early not Green
Yes just what Wigan need..not a prop forward or two oh no not Wigan I disparity at the running of Wigan at times
Really? Since IL came in he turned us from relegation candidates to serial grand finalists, champions and world champions but you despair at how the club is run? Our Multi millionaire chairman clearly understands better than most how to run a successful business.
We that is a complete revision of history. IL bought the club in 2007, the year after the 2006 relegation fight season. We were not relegation candidates when he took over. Noble was already in charge. Two of IL’s first signings were Mathers and Pryce.

It wasn’t until a full THREE trophy-less years after he bought the club that Noble was let go and Madge arrived that that he brought success with the GF win in 2010.

Since he has owned the club we have won 4 Grand finals and 2 Challenge Cups (the last one of those SIX years ago). “Peak IL” was 2010 to 2013 in my opinion when we won a major trophy every year bar 2012 including the double in 2013.

Since then we have won two GF’s in the following years, 2016 and 2018.

This is no coincidence. The squad we had in 2010, much of which carried on for the next few seasons, was very good. It’s slowly but surely deteriorated in quality over the years. Players retired or left for RU or the NRL weakening the squad year on year. IL’s answer was to give the players who left a way back and invariably all came back worse players than they left. Even Sam T was injured when he cam back though he was instrumental in in the 2018 win. With the odd exception signings were of a lower standard such as Sarge and Gelling.

If you look at his record in the cold light of day it’s not that good for a club supposedly the top team in the land or at least one of the top four and the last real quality squad we had was in the2010-2013 years.

lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Dave .....
"If you look at his record in the cold light of day it’s not that good for a club supposedly the top team in the land or at least one of the top four and the last real quality squad we had was in the2010-2013 years."

I'm taking it you mean us Warrington Leeds as part of the top four but which other Saints?
They have one title on there one appearance in both major finals
2013-2018. You could argue Hull with three appearances and two chalenge cup wins make it a top five with Saints 5th? Or a top 6 with Catalans CC win?
We have been in seven finals won three GF and a CC. Leeds have been in four finals winning them all two GF two CC.
Catalans one final CC one win.
Warrington five finals lost them all. Three GF two CC.
Cas two finals one GF one CC lost both.
Hull KR one CC final loss.

Wigan 7 finals 4 wins puts us TOP
Leeds 4 finals 4 wins
Hull three finals 2 wins
Saints/Catalan 1 final one win
Warrington 5 finals 0 wins
Cas 2 finals 0 wins
HKR 1final 0 wins
You was right top team in the land over period you mention, also top four if you take Hull being 4th?
I think it could have been more but just imagine supporting Saints or Warrington in that period our biggest rivals.
I think you have periods of success we have had one that could have been better. 5he Saints win could easily without Flower been another GF for us.
The final against Leeds another with a couple of dubious calls at vital times being the difference.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
PGH1449

Post by PGH1449 »

Some good and valid points DaveO but when he came in, the first thing he said was he won’t spend or do anything drastic until he got to grips with the salary cap and the obvious issues that came with our breaches (due largely to the signing of Fielden). He did that and then brought Maguire in when he’d steadied the ship. We all know that was when our fortunes changed for the better but I choose take his tenure as a whole. As a whole he’s been fabulous for the club.
At the point of bringing back former players, it’s only hindsight that tells us they didn’t really work out. Had Tomkins been allowed to go to Warrington for example then IL would have been burnt at the stake!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 am How has everyone become an expert on a player who hasn't played in the NRL?

Some people must have a lot of time on their hands to watch (how?), the NRL feeder comp. Or does he just have lots of good write up and youtube highlights reels?
I agree mate makes me laugh almost as much as they “Escare must play” mob a few weeks back the keyboard coaches on here see a highlight reel and start slobbering.

For my money it would be bordering on the insane to sign this lad before sorting other more needed positions out
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

French has 1 quality that all the training in the world will not produce, and thats electric pace , so no matter where they play him he will have 2 markers leaving a gap in the defence .
Flash

Post by Flash »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:19 am
PGH1449 wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Yes just what Wigan need..not a prop forward or two oh no not Wigan I disparity at the running of Wigan at times
Really? Since IL came in he turned us from relegation candidates to serial grand finalists, champions and world champions but you despair at how the club is run? Our Multi millionaire chairman clearly understands better than most how to run a successful business.
We that is a complete revision of history. IL bought the club in 2007, the year after the 2006 relegation fight season. We were not relegation candidates when he took over. Noble was already in charge. Two of IL’s first signings were Mathers and Pryce.

It wasn’t until a full THREE trophy-less years after he bought the club that Noble was let go and Madge arrived that that he brought success with the GF win in 2010.

Since he has owned the club we have won 4 Grand finals and 2 Challenge Cups (the last one of those SIX years ago). “Peak IL” was 2010 to 2013 in my opinion when we won a major trophy every year bar 2012 including the double in 2013.

Since then we have won two GF’s in the following years, 2016 and 2018.

This is no coincidence. The squad we had in 2010, much of which carried on for the next few seasons, was very good. It’s slowly but surely deteriorated in quality over the years. Players retired or left for RU or the NRL weakening the squad year on year. IL’s answer was to give the players who left a way back and invariably all came back worse players than they left. Even Sam T was injured when he cam back though he was instrumental in in the 2018 win. With the odd exception signings were of a lower standard such as Sarge and Gelling.

If you look at his record in the cold light of day it’s not that good for a club supposedly the top team in the land or at least one of the top four and the last real quality squad we had was in the2010-2013 years.
Jesus, Dave, there's only 1 revisionist here and that's quite clearly you. Like him or not, IL has made us arguably the top side in Superleague during his tenure with only Leeds even able to contest it (and if you include the number of years they've spent at the wrong end of the table then arguably is most definitely the operative word).

When he took over we had just had the season where relegation was a very real possibility. Those THREE seasons (putting it in bold doesn't make it look worse, you know) where absolutely justifiable. He'd actually said that he thought it would take 5 to put us back at the top again, such was the disarray at the club so 3 was actually ahead of schedule, which I'm pretty sure you're quite aware of.

Since then we've always been at or around the top of the competition. Now, if you're saying things have slipped over the course of this, and to a lesser extent, last season, then that is a fair comment and worthy of discussion. No need to belittle all that IL has achieved over his tenure. Let's leave that to opposition fans hey?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm French has 1 quality that all the training in the world will not produce, and thats electric pace , so no matter where they play him he will have 2 markers leaving a gap in the defence .
Teams always use two markers...

Pace is only useful if you can create the space to utilize it.

For arguments sake, who do we think have been the fastest players in Super League in the last 10 years?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm French has 1 quality that all the training in the world will not produce, and thats electric pace , so no matter where they play him he will have 2 markers leaving a gap in the defence .
Is he any good at prop then??

If it is down to electric pace then Ritchie Myler should be a world beater

I've never read so much crap why Wigan should play ihim at stand off. Despite the obvious fact he hasn't played there since his junior days claiming that he will be a great signing (not a project) for us in such a key position is like others have stated - sheer madness

If we need a stand off then bloody sign one. Don't buy a winger and then claim it is going to be a masterstroke playing him where he has no experience
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Our next three signings =- all wingers who are quick and versatile but Wigan can turn them, into outstanding forwards

Hey ho our pack issues are sorted with "out the box" signings. This is a total and utter waste of salary cap when the club does not need money spending on wingers (even ignoring the fact we have picked up Bibby)
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
PGH1449

Post by PGH1449 »

If we need a stand off then bloody sign one. Don't buy a winger and then claim it is going to be a masterstroke playing him where he has no experience
[/quote]

This is all well and good but we turned Andy Platt from a good second row to a brilliant prop. We turned Ellery Hanley from a cracking centre to one of the best loose forwards in the world. We turned Sam Tomkins from a good stand off in his first stint at the club to one of the best full backs in the world. Souths turned Greg Inglis from a top centre to an unstoppable full back.

Players have skills and it’s for the coach to determine how to use those skills to get the best out of the players.