Bevan French

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
medlocke

Re: Bevan French

Post by medlocke »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:41 pm I do hope Bevan French does come. Reading on here he sounds an exciting player and a lot more Brian Bevan than Ray French!
He has some good clips on youtube Ted, I know they are only clips but what he does in them would please many a fan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6dfcUcKBxY
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

The team cries out for a quality "spine" and some handy forwards and everyone's wetting themselves because we appear to be signing another winger.

I would love to know how exactly this bloke is supposed to finish any chances off with this side?????
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
PGH1449

Post by PGH1449 »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 pm The team cries out for a quality "spine" and some handy forwards and everyone's wetting themselves because we appear to be signing another winger.

I would love to know how exactly this bloke is supposed to finish any chances off with this side?????
I think most of us who are ‘wetting themselves’ as you describe are excited by the prospect of Wigan bringing in a player with exceptional speed and skill. Personally, I don’t want to see him
finishing as much as creating chances.
I see him fitting nicely into the halves and causing mayhem in defending sides. This season with Williams and next season with Hastings. Just because you’ve read he’s a winger on wiki doesn’t mean you understand all the facets of the lads game. He’s creative and fast, something we desperately need. He’s played 14 games this season, scored 12 tries, assisted 13 and made 50 line breaks. That is what gets me excited.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I ment to say French could be here early not Green
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ddtftf wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:58 pm I ment to say French could be here early not Green
Yes just what Wigan need..not a prop forward or two oh no not Wigan I disparity at the running of Wigan at times
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

PGH1449 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:37 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 pm The team cries out for a quality "spine" and some handy forwards and everyone's wetting themselves because we appear to be signing another winger.

I think most of us who are ‘wetting themselves’ as you describe are excited by the prospect of Wigan bringing in a player with exceptional speed and skill. Personally, I don’t want to see him
I see him fitting nicely into the halves and causing mayhem in defending sides. This season with Williams and next season with Hastings. Just because you’ve read he’s a winger on wiki doesn’t mean you understand all the facets of the lads game. He’s creative and fast, something we desperately need. He’s played 14 games this season, scored 12 tries, assisted 13 and made 50 line breaks. That is what gets me excited.
I've bolded the bit that is total and utter conjecture

Are you his agent by any chance?

All the stats you quote are NOT in the NRL but playing for Wentworthville Magpies!!!!!

He's NEVER played first grade half yet you are talking about him being the next best thing since oooh I don't know - Brett Kenny??!!

This is yet another project signing. That is the last thing we need. We need a quality and experienced half to play alongside Hastings (with hopefully no NRL get out clause). Someone like James Maloney would do - but posters are "wetting themselves" because Bevan French will tear up SL at stand off

I'll tell you this. IMO He is replacing Hardaker and will play full back so the prodigal son can return to Leeds

btw he was dropped from Parra for a media spat where he declared that he was going to leave them if he didn't play full back. You (and others too to be fair) think he will be fine in an "alien" position.
Last edited by wall_of_voodoo on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
PGH1449

Post by PGH1449 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:20 pm
ddtftf wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:58 pm I ment to say French could be here early not Green
Yes just what Wigan need..not a prop forward or two oh no not Wigan I disparity at the running of Wigan at times
Really? Since IL came in he turned us from relegation candidates to serial grand finalists, champions and world champions but you despair at how the club is run? Our Multi millionaire chairman clearly understands better than most how to run a successful business.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I'm not sure how you see him fitting nicely into the halves when he's barely played there since he was a junior. He's never played a single NRL game in the halves. He has, however, played for the Wentworthville Magpies in the halves this season...

...twice.

I'm puzzled as to how anyone has seen him play there given how few games he's played there in his professional career and none of them being in the NRL.

Now admittedly he must have some familiarity with the role as it's where he played his junior rugby but that was quite a while ago and there's no real way of knowing how good he is defensively given he'd be defending in the line, or indeed how good he is at all in that position.

Signing someone to play in a position they don't usually play is just crazy. It's like when Richards was signed and played at centre when he'd played about 3 games there for Wests Tigers.

Fair play to the club if they do sign him to play in the halves and it works a treat but bloody hell that would be a crazy recruitment policy. How can they possibly have seen enough of him in that role to make a judgement.
PGH1449

Post by PGH1449 »

EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm

I'm not sure how you see him fitting nicely into the halves when he's barely played there since he was a junior. He's never played a single NRL game in the halves. He has, however, played for the Wentworthville Magpies in the halves this season...

...twice.

I'm puzzled as to how anyone has seen him play there given how few games he's played there in his professional career and none of them being in the NRL.

Now admittedly he must have some familiarity with the role as it's where he played his junior rugby but that was quite a while ago and there's no real way of knowing how good he is defensively given he'd be defending in the line, or indeed how good he is at all in that position.

Signing someone to play in a position they don't usually play is just crazy. It's like when Richards was signed and played at centre when he'd played about 3 games there for Wests Tigers.

Fair play to the club if they do sign him to play in the halves and it works a treat but bloody hell that would be a crazy recruitment policy. How can they possibly have seen enough of him in that role to make a judgement.
It’s clearly a risk but one I’d be more than happy to take. Leuluai has been a great servant to the club, as has Powell but neither are creative enough to play in the halves.

French is fast, has an eye for a gap, a wicked side step, has good hands and he can kick a ball. They are skills that I look for in a halfback. Hastings will Boss us around the park so it would leave French play what he sees a bit more.

As for not seeing him, I’m sure Adrian Lam has seen enough of him over the years to form a sound judgment. Lam needs players brought in who he trusts to play the style of rugby he’s aiming for. Perhaps French fits the bill? One thing is for sure, it would be difficult to create less than our current halves.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

How has everyone become an expert on a player who hasn't played in the NRL?

Some people must have a lot of time on their hands to watch (how?), the NRL feeder comp. Or does he just have lots of good write up and youtube highlights reels?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."