Joe Burgess to Salford

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Nezza Faz

Re: Joe Burgess to Salford

Post by Nezza Faz »

moto748 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:25 pm I'm sure we have youngsters who can step in on the wing if needed? Hanley? Also Bibby and Gildart have played wing.
Gildart on the wing would be a terrible waste of the only 'quality' centre we possess !

A bit risky letting Burgess go especially with Manfredi's injury track record. I hope IL's not scrimping squad monies on Latics' rescue bid ???
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:25 pm I'm sure we have youngsters who can step in on the wing if needed? Hanley? Also Bibby and Gildart have played wing.
Can probably count on one hand the number of times Gildart has played wing for the first team.

Bibby played wing at Salford. Second option probably French to Wing and Hardaker back to FB? But that moves a key strike player to wing.

Not got line of sight on the next young wingers coming through.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

If Joe Burgess's departure to Salford is confirmed and its the club decision not to extend his contract, I think its very encouraging news! Excellent decisions by Lam/Radlinski!

Oliver Gildart is far too talented to play on the wing! Bevan French would be a try scoring machine, he offers too much going forwards at FB to play on the wing though!

If we dont make any major signings, Jake Bibby could do the job on the wing, this would depend if Oliver Gildart leaves at the end of the season though.

I do think there is a question over Dom's injury history (should he become injured again). We certainly need a '3rd' option.

Marshall and Manfredi are certainly more consistent than Joe Burgess and hopefully it will free up a chunk of the salary cap. Not a huge loss on form from 2019 onwards IMO!
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

What's all the talk of Gildart to the wing if the rumours are right about him off down under
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Think its a good move for Burgess,if he listens he could well regain that early form under Watson that he does seem to have lost since return, even with his scoring record.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Its a shame to lose Budgie, but you cannot keep someone like him just as cover.

If he does go then I'm sure there are kids coming through who could manage on the wing. Hanley has played every position except for prop and then the likes of Lavin who plays second row.
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

we have Bibby, plus a couple of young lads could play wing as cover if needed.

Im sure Hankinson could even cover there.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Tricky Dicky1 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:46 am we have Bibby, plus a couple of young lads could play wing as cover if needed.

Im sure Hankinson could even cover there.
Hankinson could play there? Based on what?

He can’t even make the squad in his natural position and you’re talking about wing.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Based on cover / squad depth.

You cant pay someone Budgys wages to sit in the stands or to play at Swinton on Duel reg as there is no reserves next year.

There will be several players moved on who have nowhere to play next year due to no reserve league.

This has already started

Escare, Navarette, Budgy, Shorrocks, Wells to name a few
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Quite often see teams struggling when playing centres on the wing - no way Hankinson can do it and even Gildart struggles positionally when asked to in the past.