New Prop

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: New Prop

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 am https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 1622530070

Wtf is going on.... Penny pinching to the extreme.
Direct replacement for Bullock so cheap project forward.

And WTF is going on.. Coronavirus followed by a reduced TV deal and expected reduction in crowds first due to restrictions then from people who have got out of the habit.
So why aren’t other clubs chasing Leigh’s players?

I don’t see other clubs being linked with players from the relegation fodder that is Leigh.

Sign this standard of player and we will end up playing the standard of rugby Leigh play.

The only question that needs asking is will any signing allow Wigan to compete with the likes of Saints, Hull, Cats and Wire going forward and signings like this one won’t.

Time stop making excuses for poor recruitment policy. Covid and the reduced TV deal affected all clubs but only we seem to be chasing championship standard players.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I don't think you can blame anyone for being pessimistic when it comes to us signing props. People are probably expecting the worst given some of our previous signings.

Still, with Clubb (hopefully), Bullock and Clark leaving at the end of the season we'll need signings at prop rather than just bringing in one player.

On the one hand this has a bit of a Mitch Clark feel. He had a decent game against us and ran the ball strongly but didn't exactly look too impressive at Huddersfield or London previously in Super League. He's a big player and maybe has some room to improve but he'll be 28 when he starts playing for us and that's usually when a forward is hitting their peak. On the other hand one of our issues is our pack getting dominated and not making strong carries and even if Mason is 4th choice prop if he gives some improvement in that regard then he could be a useful signing.

If we sign him then I'll reserve judgement until he's at least played a few more games this season and then we might see how he fits into our pack.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote:I don't think you can blame anyone for being pessimistic when it comes to us signing props. People are probably expecting the worst given some of our previous signings.

Still, with Clubb (hopefully), Bullock and Clark leaving at the end of the season we'll need signings at prop rather than just bringing in one player.

On the one hand this has a bit of a Mitch Clark feel. He had a decent game against us and ran the ball strongly but didn't exactly look too impressive at Huddersfield or London previously in Super League. He's a big player and maybe has some room to improve but he'll be 28 when he starts playing for us and that's usually when a forward is hitting their peak. On the other hand one of our issues is our pack getting dominated and not making strong carries and even if Mason is 4th choice prop if he gives some improvement in that regard then he could be a useful signing.

If we sign him then I'll reserve judgement until he's at least played a few more games this season and then we might see how he fits into our pack.
He’s not that big for a prop. He’s also over a stone lighter than Bullock. (16st 5lb v 17st 7lb).

I don’t see how going for a lighter prop is going to help stop our already lightweight pack being dominated.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:34 pm I don't think you can blame anyone for being pessimistic when it comes to us signing props. People are probably expecting the worst given some of our previous signings.

Sidlow did far more damage.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

These rumours mention Mason but don't name the top prop they write about probably from the NRL that the club are looking for. With more than the usual financial constraints on the club I don't expect the club to be more forthright over signings.

How the salary cap is managed for the remainder of this year and next will depend on whether Williams re-signs for us or not. If he does then him and an expensive prop is all we can expect after Bateman re-joining us. Should Williams not sign then that could change everything in regard to future signings.
Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:
EagleEyePie wrote:I don't think you can blame anyone for being pessimistic when it comes to us signing props. People are probably expecting the worst given some of our previous signings.

He’s not that big for a prop. He’s also over a stone lighter than Bullock. (16st 5lb v 17st 7lb).

I don’t see how going for a lighter prop is going to help stop our already lightweight pack being dominated.
Not defending the signing, it’s bargain bin stuff but weight isn’t a factor as Bullock doesn’t run his!

I personally could cope with Thornley IF he was alongside 2 excellent props with williams/trueman/fage however until evidence shows otherwise our recruitment policy is looking rather pants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:12 pm He’s not that big for a prop. He’s also over a stone lighter than Bullock. (16st 5lb v 17st 7lb).

I'm not sure I'd pay too much attention to what his weight is listed as on wikipedia or the SL website. The weight of 104kg was taken from an article written when he was 19. His weight could have remained the same throughout his career or his clubs may never had updated that information. It can often be inaccurate anyway. According to wikipedia and other sources Bullock is 6 foot 5. According to Wigan he's 6 foot 3.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Looks a big bugger for 16 and a half stone. It’s a nothing lost sort of signing but at the moment people want a couple of signings that make you sit up and take note because when you’re losing guys like Hastings, Gildart and more than likely French, it’s what we feel we’ll need to compete where we want to be.

As ever I’ll judge the recruitment when it’s all complete. The rumours about Thornley and Mason may seem budget buys but if you sign a couple of big game class acts, you suddenly see the reasons why. If they’re followed by another couple of budget replacements for guys like Hastings, Tommy Leuluai and the departing props, then you start to worry.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:37 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:55 pm Some of our most successful prop signings came from even lower levels than Mason. Bullock himself for example.
In what context do you view Bullock as being successful?
Some decent performances in a small pack, anyway Wire liked what they saw.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:27 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 am https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 1622530070

Wtf is going on.... Penny pinching to the extreme.
Direct replacement for Bullock so cheap project forward.

And WTF is going on.. Coronavirus followed by a reduced TV deal and expected reduction in crowds first due to restrictions then from people who have got out of the habit.
So why aren’t other clubs chasing Leigh’s players?

I don’t see other clubs being linked with players from the relegation fodder that is Leigh.

Sign this standard of player and we will end up playing the standard of rugby Leigh play.

The only question that needs asking is will any signing allow Wigan to compete with the likes of Saints, Hull, Cats and Wire going forward and signings like this one won’t.

Time stop making excuses for poor recruitment policy. Covid and the reduced TV deal affected all clubs but only we seem to be chasing championship standard players.
Hopefully some of the recent signings are for the Reserve team, and I do mean hopefully :)