Farrell Duo.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dan2266

Farrell Duo.

Post by Dan2266 »

100% trust in this news.

Wigan want Andy Farrell & Owen Farrell in the same off season. (When they think that will be I do not know)

Any coach (unless exceptional circumstances) will be on a 1 year deal moving forward.

Prop that I mentioned last week has since signed his contract. (Still no name)
WiganRugby-18

Re: Farrell Duo.

Post by WiganRugby-18 »

Any idea when the new prop will be announced?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

WiganRugby-18 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:10 am Any idea when the new prop will be announced?
No Idea mate, being tight lipped about it for some reason. There isn't even any rumours flying around either, which is strange in my opinion
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Stars probably aligning on that one - if you think about it Owen wont leave union without a world cup IMO if England win next year i think he will play for Wigan - Farrell would have to lose the World Cup with Ireland for Owen to win it and that might mean he is moved on as a result Lam also leaves end of that season

It makes sense but i do think if Owen doesnt win a world cup he will stay
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Wigan want Andy Farrell & Owen Farrell in the same off season. (When they think that will be I do not know)

Is this meant to be short term? As if in when the Union season ends and League is continuing or permanently?

Cant think why at 30 odd would Owen Farrell want to try and convert to League. I would imagine IRFU are paying Andy extremely good money. Is this going to be another Edwards saga all over again?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:23 am Wigan want Andy Farrell & Owen Farrell in the same off season. (When they think that will be I do not know)

Is this meant to be short term? As if in when the Union season ends and League is continuing or permanently?

Cant think why at 30 odd would Owen Farrell want to try and convert to League. I would imagine IRFU are paying Andy extremely good money. Is this going to be another Edwards saga all over again?
He doesn’t need to convert, rugby league was his game the only reason he ended up in Union was due to his dad. He never wanted to leave Wigan and always had a desire to play for Wigan.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:25 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:23 am Wigan want Andy Farrell & Owen Farrell in the same off season. (When they think that will be I do not know)

He doesn’t need to convert, rugby league was his game the only reason he ended up in Union was due to his dad. He never wanted to leave Wigan and always had a desire to play for Wigan.
I think you find he will! If you seriously telling me you think we could sign Owen Farrell bang him at centre (presumably) and pretend he has been playing SL for the last 10 years your sadly mistaken! Luther Burrell springs to mind! Owen Farrell has spent his professional career playing Union and Andy hasn't coached in League. Id rather take a punt on Andy on the coaching staff than Owen personally.

Besides which why would Owen Farrell want to join us now? I'm willing to bet his is still on mega bucks playing in the RFU second division!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I didn't say that he would want to join us, we will have to wait and see if he does before we can comment on whether his transition would be successful, or not.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 pm

I think you find he will! If you seriously telling me you think we could sign Owen Farrell bang him at centre (presumably) and pretend he has been playing SL for the last 10 years your sadly mistaken! Luther Burrell springs to mind! Owen Farrell has spent his professional career playing Union and Andy hasn't coached in League. Id rather take a punt on Andy on the coaching staff than Owen personally.

Besides which why would Owen Farrell want to join us now? I'm willing to bet his is still on mega bucks playing in the RFU second division!
i think the big difference between Farrell and Burrell is that Farrell had a league background before he was taken to RU. yes it was 15 years or so ago, and things have moved on but IMO he would more likely succeed in league than Burrell. However, i do agree with the general sentiments that there are no guarantees he would be a success and more importanly would be take a massive paycut to come and play at Wigan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 pm

He would likely play scrum half or stand-off in league, not centre. He has played Fly Half and Inside Centre for Union.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."