Joe Greenwood Leaving ?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
southportcdm

Re: Joe Greenwood Leaving ?

Post by southportcdm »

Joe hasn't been at his best since his first season and, although his form in the latter part of this season was good, I don't think Lammy sees him as a starter (i.e. first 13). He has had probelms with head knocks that seemed to affect his confidence and unfortunately for him, he doesn't give the impression that he's in love with the game. We need to trim the squad and Joe could be a victim of that process, he's a good player that other clubs may take a punt on. He seems like a nice bloke and I hope he plays well at Huddersfield but let's be honest, Leeds had a good look at him and didn't make an offer.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:38 am Don’t get this. You want the best squad you can have, starting 11 and on the bench, and I think we need greenwood he offers his size and offload on the edges.
Unless it’s SC related
Starting 11?
Is that two sent off coming down the tunnel or are you more akin to football?😃
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
HDS

Post by HDS »

I think it would be a mistake to let Joe go. In Liam Farrell and John Bateman we have two amazing second rowers , but they are not the biggest. Joe has the size they lack and he isn't short of ability.
It would give another dynamic to the pack having him on the bench or perhaps even at loose forward.
We have suffered from a light pack before, you need to cover all bases depending on the size of the pack they
are facing . Morgan Smithies at loose forward with Liam and John would be a very light backrow!

Just a thought. Hopefully Joe will be staying!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:45 pm
Barney841 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:38 am Don’t get this. You want the best squad you can have, starting 11 and on the bench, and I think we need greenwood he offers his size and offload on the edges.
Unless it’s SC related
Starting 11?
Is that two sent off coming down the tunnel or are you more akin to football?😃
13. Honest mistake. Rugby before football😊
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:48 pm Joe hasn't been at his best since his first season and, although his form in the latter part of this season was good, I don't think Lammy sees him as a starter (i.e. first 13). He has had probelms with head knocks that seemed to affect his confidence and unfortunately for him, he doesn't give the impression that he's in love with the game. We need to trim the squad and Joe could be a victim of that process, he's a good player that other clubs may take a punt on. He seems like a nice bloke and I hope he plays well at Huddersfield but let's be honest, Leeds had a good look at him and didn't make an offer.
All that was last season.

As you say much improved this season despite rarely being given a chance by the coach. Perhaps this is more about Lam's coaching ability to get the best from the players at his disposal rather than them not being good enough players in the first place

Personally can also see Harry Smith going too as Lammy has no idea where to play him
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:15 pm
southportcdm wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:48 pm Joe hasn't been at his best since his first season and, although his form in the latter part of this season was good, I don't think Lammy sees him as a starter (i.e. first 13). He has had probelms with head knocks that seemed to affect his confidence and unfortunately for him, he doesn't give the impression that he's in love with the game. We need to trim the squad and Joe could be a victim of that process, he's a good player that other clubs may take a punt on. He seems like a nice bloke and I hope he plays well at Huddersfield but let's be honest, Leeds had a good look at him and didn't make an offer.

As you say much improved this season despite rarely being given a chance by the coach. Perhaps this is more about Lam's coaching ability to get the best from the players at his disposal rather than them not being good enough players in the first place

Personally can also see Harry Smith going too as Lammy has no idea where to play him
Would you play Smith, and if so instead of who?
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

The booze hound wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:22 pm

Easy answer Yes and in place of Leuluai who should only be covering for injuries / loss of form
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:35 pm

Easy answer Yes and in place of Leuluai who should only be covering for injuries / loss of form
If we get rid of smith we are crazy....... i agree smith should get the starting seven next season....... rest him when needed...... tommy will spell him and sam powell....... the future is bright
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:22 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:35 pm
If we get rid of smith we are crazy....... i agree smith should get the starting seven next season....... rest him when needed...... tommy will spell him and sam powell....... the future is bright
It’s cherry and white.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Back to Greenwood. He's one of the highest paid players at Wigan. If he can't get a first team starting spot then that's not value for money.

He's not better than Isa, Farrell, Bateman, Havard or Shorrocks, so the sensible option is to let him go. Upgrade the contracts of the likes of Smith, Shorrocks and Kilner. Then if as rumoured that G Burgess is retiring, then use his money to bring in another prop and winger.