George Burges

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Locked
ddtftf
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:07 pm

George Burges

Post by ddtftf » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:51 pm

He was signed i am told without a medical and now needs a hip operation ( Degenerating hip desease) although he says he is ok to play so stalemate the club still has to honour his contract if he says he is fit to play. I am amazed that our club would sign such a lucrative contract without a medical MMM :( :( :( :( :(

endoman
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: George Burges

Post by endoman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:31 pm

Astonishing if true. Only one person thinks he's fit to play...

Charriots Offiah
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: George Burges

Post by Charriots Offiah » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:38 pm

ddtftf wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:51 pm
He was signed i am told without a medical and now needs a hip operation ( Degenerating hip desease) although he says he is ok to play so stalemate the club still has to honour his contract if he says he is fit to play. I am amazed that our club would sign such a lucrative contract without a medical MMM :( :( :( :( :(
If that is true, and I don’t doubt you for one minute Derrick, then there has been a dereliction of duty by someone in the club, a costly one at that! We have a marquee player who has hardly got his shorts dirty. A fit Burgess, or a player of similar standing, and we would probably be celebrating a GF win. Now, if I was GB , I would be saying exactly the same thing because I would want the club to financially compensate me and I would want that pay off to be as high as possible - he will be a long time retired. It may be that this is his opening gambit in the negotiation process? It will be interesting to see if the club invest money in another prop, you would think that if they do then their mind is made up regarding George and his future at Wigan.

nathan_rugby
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: George Burges

Post by nathan_rugby » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Charriots Offiah wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:38 pm
ddtftf wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:51 pm
He was signed i am told without a medical and now needs a hip operation ( Degenerating hip desease) although he says he is ok to play so stalemate the club still has to honour his contract if he says he is fit to play. I am amazed that our club would sign such a lucrative contract without a medical MMM :( :( :( :( :(
If that is true, and I don’t doubt you for one minute Derrick, then there has been a dereliction of duty by someone in the club, a costly one at that! We have a marquee player who has hardly got his shorts dirty. A fit Burgess, or a player of similar standing, and we would probably be celebrating a GF win. Now, if I was GB , I would be saying exactly the same thing because I would want the club to financially compensate me and I would want that pay off to be as high as possible - he will be a long time retired. It may be that this is his opening gambit in the negotiation process? It will be interesting to see if the club invest money in another prop, you would think that if they do then their mind is made up regarding George and his future at Wigan.
Or the prop they may sign is a replacement for Flower?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."

pedro
Posts: 4388
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: George Burges

Post by pedro » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 pm

ddtftf wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:51 pm
He was signed i am told without a medical and now needs a hip operation ( Degenerating hip desease) although he says he is ok to play so stalemate the club still has to honour his contract if he says he is fit to play. I am amazed that our club would sign such a lucrative contract without a medical MMM :( :( :( :( :(
neither was Sam as he was injured on signing
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

Charriots Offiah
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: George Burges

Post by Charriots Offiah » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:45 pm

nathan_rugby wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:43 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:38 pm
ddtftf wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:51 pm
He was signed i am told without a medical and now needs a hip operation ( Degenerating hip desease) although he says he is ok to play so stalemate the club still has to honour his contract if he says he is fit to play. I am amazed that our club would sign such a lucrative contract without a medical MMM :( :( :( :( :(
If that is true, and I don’t doubt you for one minute Derrick, then there has been a dereliction of duty by someone in the club, a costly one at that! We have a marquee player who has hardly got his shorts dirty. A fit Burgess, or a player of similar standing, and we would probably be celebrating a GF win. Now, if I was GB , I would be saying exactly the same thing because I would want the club to financially compensate me and I would want that pay off to be as high as possible - he will be a long time retired. It may be that this is his opening gambit in the negotiation process? It will be interesting to see if the club invest money in another prop, you would think that if they do then their mind is made up regarding George and his future at Wigan.
Or the prop they may sign is a replacement for Flower?
I think that was Singleton, he just arrived early.

CheshireWarrior
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: George Burges

Post by CheshireWarrior » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 pm

Surely this isn't true! Why would we exclude ANY new signing from a routine medical?

Moving away from the (degenerating disease), wasnt Burgess either injured or banned for a length of time towards the end of his final year at Souths?

If I recall this correctly, surely the fact he hadn't played for months is an incentive in itself to make sure a medical is conducted?

It wouldn't be a major surprise if this is true, something clearly smells here.

The concern for me (if this is true), how is he convinced he is still fit to play? If this is the injury which has disrupted 2020, will it suddenly disappear by March?

fozzieskem
Posts: 3583
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: George Burges

Post by fozzieskem » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:28 pm

pedro wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 pm
ddtftf wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:51 pm
He was signed i am told without a medical and now needs a hip operation ( Degenerating hip desease) although he says he is ok to play so stalemate the club still has to honour his contract if he says he is fit to play. I am amazed that our club would sign such a lucrative contract without a medical MMM :( :( :( :( :(
neither was Sam as he was injured on signing
Very true and you would think having had the clubs fingers burnt waiting for Tomkins to return to full fitness a medical akin to a full mot would be required when signing players for big money.

nathan_rugby
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: George Burges

Post by nathan_rugby » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:17 am

Why do the club sometimes put him in the 21 if he isn’t fit to play?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."

southportcdm
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: George Burges

Post by southportcdm » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:46 am

Perhaps we'll never know the full story but I can't help feeling that resolving the George Burgess problem is the key to us winning or just going close again next season. Best case scenario is that he recovers his fitness and performs at his best next season but I don't belive that's possibe. Let's be honest, how many of us really believe that he can recover fully/enough to play near his best? How many other clubs would take him off our hands for even half his present salary? I feel sorry for him, it must be awful when your career ends like this and I can understand that he wants to give himself every chance to prolong his career and earnings. However, if it gets to the point where fans feel he's taking advantage of the situation to the extent that the team is suffering, he'll quickly lose all sympathy and that would be very sad.

Locked