George Burges

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
CheshireWarrior

Re: George Burges

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think the problems around Burgess are the following (IMO),

- For a seasoned NRL professional (his few performances have been a shadow of that form).
- His overall match fitness when playing and style (we haven't seen any of the 'Burgess power or aggression').
- The concern over his possible life changing hip injury (I'm sure this impacted Sam?).
- Fan expectation's, I for one had HUGE hopes he would rip up SL!
- The fact that neither George or the club will clarify anything. I know its personal but there are lots of questions which causes a lot of speculation.
- Salary (marquee isn't he)?

I think also (in comparison to other injured players), the majority of fans think something is really worrying when you watch George play. His debut against Wire painted a very clear picture and he has never really looked massively more comfortable (including Huddersfield). I think the question is can/will he really be able to fully recover? I know its speculation (as are the rumours around his 'medical'). Hopefully we can see 'NRL Burgess' in 2021.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:02 pm I think the problems around Burgess are the following (IMO),

- For a seasoned NRL professional (his few performances have been a shadow of that form).
- His overall match fitness when playing and style (we haven't seen any of the 'Burgess power or aggression').
- The concern over his possible life changing hip injury (I'm sure this impacted Sam?).
- Fan expectation's, I for one had HUGE hopes he would rip up SL!
- The fact that neither George or the club will clarify anything. I know its personal but there are lots of questions which causes a lot of speculation.
- Salary (marquee isn't he)?

I think also (in comparison to other injured players), the majority of fans think something is really worrying when you watch George play. His debut against Wire painted a very clear picture and he has never really looked massively more comfortable (including Huddersfield). I think the question is can/will he really be able to fully recover? I know its speculation (as are the rumours around his 'medical'). Hopefully we can see 'NRL Burgess' in 2021.
Points 1 and 2 you raise at irrelevant now we’ve realised the extent of the hip injury.

Point 3 did it impact Sam? When? Why?

Point 4 now irrelevant

Point 5 - not sure what you want or expect George to clarify?

Point 6 - he is yes

I for one am not expecting Burgess to return. They’ve had so much time to get his hip right, not sure what they’re expecting this time round that was different to when Lam last said “he won’t play again until it’s right”.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

bill.inger wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:45 pm George Burgess is one of a long line of players Wigan have signed or re-signed, that had medical problems when they signed up. I'm thinking of players like Nigel Wright, the Tomkins brothers, Karl Price, Lee Mossop, the list goes on and on.
Other players that were injured during their contracts and cost a fortune to get fit again, Stuart Fielden, Eamon o'Carroll, Joe Mellor, and many others, all who left the club after playing one or two games when fit again. Sean Long was moved on for disciplinary reasons but at the time the fans were told that medically, it was thought he'd never again play to the standard required.
I can see Burgess spending the best part of next season on re-hab, then playing a handful of games before moving on and this is one player the fans want to see at his best, preferably at Wigan.
One consolation is, if he gets back to playing, he can be considered low mileage after almost two years out of the game and with his class and experience it's got to be worth the wait.
IIRC Nigel Wright got a bad ankle injury whilst playing. Did he come injured?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I can take injuries that happen through a season of course but to sign a player so clearly unfit is madness in a salary capped sport
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Nice picture on the 'rugby league news' site of Geore and family enjoying a holiday in the Maldives. I hope the sun works wonder on his dodgy hip.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Lam said mid season “Burgess won’t play again until we get the hip right. We aren’t putting a time limit on it”.

What happened that time?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I hope I'm wrong but I think that either George or the insurance people need convincing that he'll not be able to play at a high level again without an operation. Having an operation is always the last resort and you can't blame the player for trying to avoid it. The situation is really sad for George, I'm sure he'd love to be playing well for us. The frustrating thing for the fans is that what's best for the player in the long term isn't what's best for the club for the coming season.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Fujiman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:09 pm

IIRC Nigel Wright got a bad ankle injury whilst playing. Did he come injured?
[/quote]

I don't think Nigel Wright had injury problems when he came from Wakey but certainly the ankle caused a shedful of missed games. The final straw for Wigan was a shoulder injury that wouldn't clear up and he went back to Wakefield.
Quality player though but his style of play was always going to invite injury.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Nigel Wright exuded class as a rugby player

He did NOT leave due to a shoulder injury or any other injury reported as for his reason for going.

BTW He did his ankle at The Park nightclub in Charnock Richard - not by playing (he had recovered from the original injury to his ankle)
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: