New player

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Fujiman

Re: New player

Post by Fujiman »

Think lockdowns getting to everyone.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Given the timing of the Burgess decision we are not in the best position to negotiate for replacements. We seem to have already missed out on the likely quality targets. The general feeling seems to be that anyone we get will likely be a stopgap to help bring through the youngsters or at least until some deadwood can be cleared to allow us to bring in a quality replacement. Perhaps I should not say deadwood but although Clarke runs around waving his hands a lot he is well down the order.
I applaud the club for recognising that we had an issue and trying to do something about it but the Burgess signing was a risky strategy that did not pay off. As it is, any player we are likely to attract now will either be a bit part player or will come with baggage. Our best option might be to wait and see who falls down the pecking order as other stars rise at NRL clubs. Sadly that means that I think we could well be running with the squad, as it is, for the time being.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Levrier wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:08 am Given the timing of the Burgess decision we are not in the best position to negotiate for replacements. We seem to have already missed out on the likely quality targets. The general feeling seems to be that anyone we get will likely be a stopgap to help bring through the youngsters or at least until some deadwood can be cleared to allow us to bring in a quality replacement. Perhaps I should not say deadwood but although Clarke runs around waving his hands a lot he is well down the order.
I applaud the club for recognising that we had an issue and trying to do something about it but the Burgess signing was a risky strategy that did not pay off. As it is, any player we are likely to attract now will either be a bit part player or will come with baggage. Our best option might be to wait and see who falls down the pecking order as other stars rise at NRL clubs. Sadly that means that I think we could well be running with the squad, as it is, for the time being.
Why do you think we seem to have missed out on the likely quality targets? Is it just an assumption given we are in pre-season and approaching the season start? Or are you aware of specific targets that have committed to their current clubs / moved to new ones?

Why was the Burgess signing a risky strategy?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:58 am
Levrier wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:08 am Given the timing of the Burgess decision we are not in the best position to negotiate for replacements. We seem to have already missed out on the likely quality targets. The general feeling seems to be that anyone we get will likely be a stopgap to help bring through the youngsters or at least until some deadwood can be cleared to allow us to bring in a quality replacement. Perhaps I should not say deadwood but although Clarke runs around waving his hands a lot he is well down the order.
Why do you think we seem to have missed out on the likely quality targets? Is it just an assumption given we are in pre-season and approaching the season start? Or are you aware of specific targets that have committed to their current clubs / moved to new ones?

Why was the Burgess signing a risky strategy?
I have no specific knowledge of lost chances although others have suggested that Warrington managed to pick up one of our targets because we were unable to move on the deal. My point was that we were unable to make deals because of salary cap limitations as Lam has already said. We undoubtedly missed opportunities simply because we were unlikely to have been looking. We would have been in a better position with any more forewarning than we had. It does not matter when that was, but time before an event allows for preparation. .
As for the Burgess signing being a risky strategy, there can be little debate. Introducing a marquee player who has an injury or medical problem will always be risky. Sometimes it pays off and I do not criticise the club or player for trying. Sadly we could have done with another fully fit prop in the Grand Final.
Do not take Umbridge at what are reasonable suggestions, as some seem to be doing on here. Hindsight is a great thing. I imagine that inside the club they are definitely drawing up lists of targets for next year and one of the things that they can think about is the marquee spot left vacant.