Set up

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Set up

Post by CheshireWarrior »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:52 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:09 pm Personally I don't see Hastings as a 13 or 9. I would say it depends on your interpretation of a modern day lock though.

Sam Powell has finally established himself at hooker. If Hastings plays there regularly, how does Powell feature? He certainly isn't a 7/6.

I don't think we've had such a creative game manager who can and should play 7 week in week out since Lam! If Field slots in at 6 well, Field and Hastings in the halves could be a dream combination!

I'd prefer Bateman, Isa, Partington and Singleton as a starting 13. For me a stand out player who flits between 6/7 and 13 is Paul Sculthorpe, I don't see Hastings in the same category.

1. French, 6. Field, 7. Hastings, 9. Powell, 13. Partington/Isa, (Bateman ideally in his 2nd row).

Bench: Lulu for Powell, Smith for Hastings (varies week by week).
Smith for Hastings? That can’t be serious?

And leave Field on who most of us probably have never seen play, let alone at 6...
So therefore, if you haven't seen Field play at 6 how can you question this? If French is established at 1, Zak and Gilly are 3 and 4 respectively, where does Field slot (working off everyone being fit)?

Why can't Smith Interchange with Hastings? Both play the same position and if you think Smith is an 'understudy' to Hastings your mistaken! Having either Smith or Lulu on the bench provides options.

Furthermore, for those who believe Jackson is a 9 or 13, if he is interchanged with Smith or Lulu, he could then change with Powell or Partington or whoever starts 13.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:35 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:09 pm Personally I don't see Hastings as a 13 or 9. I would say it depends on your interpretation of a modern day lock though.

Sam Powell has finally established himself at hooker. If Hastings plays there regularly, how does Powell feature? He certainly isn't a 7/6.

I don't think we've had such a creative game manager who can and should play 7 week in week out since Lam! If Field slots in at 6 well, Field and Hastings in the halves could be a dream combination!

I'd prefer Bateman, Isa, Partington and Singleton as a starting 13. For me a stand out player who flits between 6/7 and 13 is Paul Sculthorpe, I don't see Hastings in the same category.

1. French, 6. Field, 7. Hastings, 9. Powell, 13. Partington/Isa, (Bateman ideally in his 2nd row).

And leave Field on who most of us probably have never seen play, let alone at 6...
So therefore, if you haven't seen Field play at 6 how can you question this? If French is established at 1, Zak and Gilly are 3 and 4 respectively, where does Field slot (working off everyone being fit)?

Why can't Smith Interchange with Hastings? Both play the same position and if you think Smith is an 'understudy' to Hastings your mistaken! Having either Smith or Lulu on the bench provides options.

Furthermore, for those who believe Jackson is a 9 or 13, if he is interchanged with Smith or Lulu, he could then change with Powell or Partington or whoever starts 13.
one of hastings or smith should always be on the field so we have a kicking game........ not sure if field has a kicking game but im sure we find out soon....... all in all its a good selection headache to have....... i still think its on the wing that we might struggle for cover
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
CheshireWarrior

Firestarter wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:55 pm

one of hastings or smith should always be on the field so we have a kicking game........ not sure if field has a kicking game but im sure we find out soon....... all in all its a good selection headache to have....... i still think its on the wing that we might struggle for cover
I agree, touch wood Marshall has retained his pace, but have to be concerned if Dom or Liam sustain injury this season. I think it leaves Bibby and Hanley (can he play wing)?

All things considered, I really don't think Burgess to Salford is a major loss or Hankinsons loan to London. It would be interesting if we can find a championship Matty Ashton type winger to bring in and develop.

I know some argue Gilly or Zak can cover wing, not for me! Would be like putting Connolly or Carmont on the wing!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I’m not making any comment on Field as I have never seen him play. But in your scenario you are keeping Field on at 6 and spelling Hastings with Smith. It’s ridiculous.

I understand Smith has had some good games for us and he has bags of potential. . It’s a waste of a sub unless Hastings moves to 9 or 13 but the effectiveness and impact of that remains to be seen.

How many changes do you want to all these pivot positions? Other than interchanging a hooker, there isn’t much benefit in tinkering around.

Are you suggesting Tommy and Smith on the bench at the same time?

Having an interchange hooker isn’t as popular as it used to be and that is probably linked to the decreasing substitutes and with the rule changes intended to speed play up. The focus from coaches seems to be keeping forwards fresh.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:27 pm

I’m not making any comment on Field as I have never seen him play. But in your scenario you are keeping Field on at 6 and spelling Hastings with Smith. It’s ridiculous.

I understand Smith has had some good games for us and he has bags of potential. . It’s a waste of a sub unless Hastings moves to 9 or 13 but the effectiveness and impact of that remains to be seen.

How many changes do you want to all these pivot positions? Other than interchanging a hooker, there isn’t much benefit in tinkering around.

Having an interchange hooker isn’t as popular as it used to be and that is probably linked to the decreasing substitutes and with the rule changes intended to speed play up. The focus from coaches seems to be keeping forwards fresh.
So, Hastings stays fit all season and plays 7, but departs to the NRL at the end of the season. (If) Field establishes himself at 6 and Tommy retires, Smith surely takes Jackson place.

I would personally (and it's only my opinion) play Jackson at 7 every week (starting line up). If Smith doesn't interchange with Hastings how does he gain first team experience within the team? Working on the theory Field and Smith could very well be taking us around the park in 2022.

I would not suggest Tommy and Smith both on the bench at the same time, can't see Tommy playing week in week out.

I appreciate I am making presumptions and some of it is 'ifs and buts' but I think for the benefit of Wigan and Smith, somehow he needs to play. Especially with yet again more prolific coverage around Hastings future (whether he is instigating it or not).
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:45 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:27 pm

So, Hastings stays fit all season and plays 7, but departs to the NRL at the end of the season. (If) Field establishes himself at 6 and Tommy retires, Smith surely takes Jackson place.

I would personally (and it's only my opinion) play Jackson at 7 every week (starting line up). If Smith doesn't interchange with Hastings how does he gain first team experience within the team? Working on the theory Field and Smith could very well be taking us around the park in 2022.

I would not suggest Tommy and Smith both on the bench at the same time, can't see Tommy playing week in week out.

I appreciate I am making presumptions and some of it is 'ifs and buts' but I think for the benefit of Wigan and Smith, somehow he needs to play. Especially with yet again more prolific coverage around Hastings future (whether he is instigating it or not).
I agree about the Hastings leaving and Smith conundrum. And there are probably 3 options.

1 - loan smith out for more experience
2 - regularly rotate him in (off the bench, in lesser games etc)
3 - bring him in only when there is an injury to whoever is ahead of him at 6 / 7

Option 1 is most desirable in my opinion.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Smith's ready. Don't farm him out, we'll lose him that way. Rotate him i'd say.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Rich5

Post by Rich5 »

Yes completely agree Smith has shown good glimpses in the games he played last year and given the position we'll be in in a years time with Jackson heading back to the NRL and Tommy being in his mid 30s we have to see how he can do and actually give him game time...can play in the halves she rotate Tommy with Sam Powell at hooker and give him the keys to play cause he's got a feel look when we have George Williams game time when we had Smith and Green and how good it done for us when Blake went back to Oz
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:37 pm Smith's ready. Don't farm him out, we'll lose him that way. Rotate him i'd say.
Is he?

Some games last year he looked good, others average, others went missing.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:49 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:37 pm Smith's ready. Don't farm him out, we'll lose him that way. Rotate him i'd say.
Is he?

Some games last year he looked good, others average, others went missing.
Maybe he isn't as good as many make him out to be