Set up

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
pedro

Re: Set up

Post by pedro »

sooner Lam goes the better
Rennox89

Post by Rennox89 »

w.thomas wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 pm I saw JH tell someone on Instagram the moon was made of cheese as well so that must also be true. 🙃
Christ what is it with people on here? It's a gossip forum and I asked a question to see if anyone had heard similar. We all support wigan so stop having a pop at people to make yourself feel better
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:04 am sooner Lam goes the better
Why's that then
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:45 pm
Why's that then
+1
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

Why's that then
play the worlds best right handed second row at 13.....
Mouse13

Post by Mouse13 »

pedro wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:43 pm
Why's that then
And who says hes not gonna kick on to an even higher level ???. Could be a mistake but also could be a master stroke, only time will tell.
Adlington ARLFC 1988-1992
Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992-2009
Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009-2011
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mouse13 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:46 pm
pedro wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:43 pm

Why's that then
And who says hes not gonna kick on to an even higher level ???. Could be a mistake but also could be a master stroke, only time will tell.
hes played there before for us when he was here and ....didnt
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 am
Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:50 pm I'd be ok with Jacko at 13. A scrum back three of Farrell, Bateman & Hastings would be one quality pack with Bullock, Powell & Singleton.
That would give us three halfbacks of Smith, Field & Leuluai with one off the bench.

We have a lot of quality in the squad and it's up to Lam to get the best out of the individual players and collectively as a squad/team.
Hastings won MOS as a half and he had a great season for us in the same position last year setting up lots of tries.

Why move him from a position he has played his whole career so far?

Our downfall the last two years has been field kicking and a lack of go forward / metres making by the forwards. Moving Hastings to 13 will not help with the meters making, it will make it worse than having another Prop or Second Rower there.
It would be a case of too many cooks if he stayed at 13.

If you remove the “split halves” idea, having a 7 and 6 is enough hands to get the ball to the 1 and/or centres in space.

I’m denying the value of a true ball playing 13 but Hastings would be a half moved to 13.

His defence at 9 proved he’s capable and he does take a lot of drives in but a move to 9 or 13 could come later in his career if he continues growing. (His words on his podcast).

Hastings to 13 is a round peg square whole at the moment. Completely unnecessary.
Agree with you - Hastings isn’t a back row forward just as he isn’t a 9 although there may be those instances where we need him to fill in there but that would only be temporary.

Our metre makers I believe we were only 5th last year but a young pack with marquee prop crocked hopefully that will improve this season and hope Harry gets more game time in the halves as he has a good kicking game.

Cannot wait for Sunday and that’s only a preseason game - never said that before! :-)
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally I don't see Hastings as a 13 or 9. I would say it depends on your interpretation of a modern day lock though.

Sam Powell has finally established himself at hooker. If Hastings plays there regularly, how does Powell feature? He certainly isn't a 7/6.

I don't think we've had such a creative game manager who can and should play 7 week in week out since Lam! If Field slots in at 6 well, Field and Hastings in the halves could be a dream combination!

I'd prefer Bateman, Isa, Partington and Singleton as a starting 13. For me a stand out player who flits between 6/7 and 13 is Paul Sculthorpe, I don't see Hastings in the same category.

1. French, 6. Field, 7. Hastings, 9. Powell, 13. Partington/Isa, (Bateman ideally in his 2nd row).

Bench: Lulu for Powell, Smith for Hastings (varies week by week).
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:09 pm Personally I don't see Hastings as a 13 or 9. I would say it depends on your interpretation of a modern day lock though.

Sam Powell has finally established himself at hooker. If Hastings plays there regularly, how does Powell feature? He certainly isn't a 7/6.

I don't think we've had such a creative game manager who can and should play 7 week in week out since Lam! If Field slots in at 6 well, Field and Hastings in the halves could be a dream combination!

I'd prefer Bateman, Isa, Partington and Singleton as a starting 13. For me a stand out player who flits between 6/7 and 13 is Paul Sculthorpe, I don't see Hastings in the same category.

1. French, 6. Field, 7. Hastings, 9. Powell, 13. Partington/Isa, (Bateman ideally in his 2nd row).

Bench: Lulu for Powell, Smith for Hastings (varies week by week).
Smith for Hastings? That can’t be serious?

And leave Field on who most of us probably have never seen play, let alone at 6...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."