New Coach.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
medlocke

Re: New Coach.

Post by medlocke »

w.thomas wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am Can’t understand why we can’t sign anyone other than former players or coaches. Until the jobs for the boys culture ends we won’t reach our full potential.
Exactly, Been saying this for a couple of seasons on here and elsewhere only to get shot down by the Lenagan lovers, IL has done a lot of great things for the club but his policy of giving leaving players a safety net is not only holding the club back but also making the club a laughing stock with fans of other clubs, No other clubs do it, So why is our chairman so hellbent on doing so
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

The present style of rugby from most, if not all teams, is quite stale and boring to watch these days. It's all too predictable.
The game needs a real change in style, more offloads and adventurous play.
Even when Hull were down a man we couldn't break them down, with predictable play, consisting of trying to get a quick play the ball and nothing much else. It should have been played like the last two minutes, when it was too late, take risks and offload.
The best thing to do would be to get Andy Farrell, someone who has been away from the game for a long time, to bring new ideas into the game.
He comes from a time when we were offloading and playing open rugby.
The problem is that Wigan can't afford him, he's not going to take a big pay cut to come back to a sport, which can't even negotiate a bigger TV deal than previously and actually takes a pay cut.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

w.thomas wrote:Can’t understand why we can’t sign anyone other than former players or coaches. Until the jobs for the boys culture ends we won’t reach our full potential.
Spot on. It is in my opinion because Rads and IL don’t have a clue how to entice a top coach to Wigan.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote:I think Shaun Wane with Lockers no2 makes the most sense to me, I cant see Farrell happening at all. Id personally prefer Wane anyway.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Wane’s brand of RL was boring and was a straightjacket for players like Williams and Powell.

And as to Lockers he has no coaching credentials. Great former players do not always make great coaches such as Cunningham from Saints showed. Lockers should not walk into an assistant coaches job so soon and needs to progress through the junior positions as did Wane.

If IL and Rads are looking to replace Lam next season and they can’t think beyond these two they are not trying.

Of course they would have an advantage for IL. They will accept whatever he says and won’t demand their own back room staff like Edwards was after and will probably be cheap.

lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I would get Flanagan. OK hes not coached for a few years but the NRL is probably that same few years in front of SL anyway. He's proven top level and realistically the one top Aus coach we could get. I'm pretty sure he's not been sat stagnant and would have a pretty relevant thought process on how the modern game should be played.
If we didn't get Williams his son may also be worth a shout. He's struggled a bit lately but SL may just be right place with his Dads mentorship good goal kicker as well.
I would never rule out Andy Faz or even Wane but for me a NRL GF winning coach still relatively at an early part of his career is a risk worth taking.
Still hope Lam can do it though we need to sort out the front row. It lacks yards all across it, we don't have any real scoot or threat of one from 9 which does not help when your props don't make yards. That's nothing against Powell but with our forwards it magnifies the issue. Is this maybe Wanes legacy of find the floor running deep into the way players are brought through, he was also never a fan of the scoot from acting half.
I would have loved to see Bullock come off the bench earlier maybe with a scooting 9 or start not sure what he's done but he was a big part of our GF drive to now seemingly out of favour. The lad can do big minutes yet he's played about 40 minutes altogether in the last three games and he's the only one who can dent a line. Lam needs to learn you could say he's been a touch unlucky but the best always seem to have that luck in buckets.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Lam doesn’t have it in my opinion.

We play exactly the same as when he took over.

We make the same mistakes as when he took over.

We have lost too many big games / games that matter under him.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Tap Edwards back up and give him the back room staff and players he wants, Give him a chance, He was willing to come once, Surely he would like the chance to redeem himself with the good folk of Wigan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 am Tap Edwards back up and give him the back room staff and players he wants, Give him a chance, He was willing to come once, Surely he would like the chance to redeem himself with the good folk of Wigan
So you're against the jobs for the boys culture and bringing back old players, but are happy to bring Edwards back in?

Even after he did us dirty and didn't want to come in the end because he got a better offer else where?

Double standards.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 am
medlocke wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 am Tap Edwards back up and give him the back room staff and players he wants, Give him a chance, He was willing to come once, Surely he would like the chance to redeem himself with the good folk of Wigan
So you're against the jobs for the boys culture and bringing back old players, but are happy to bring Edwards back in?

Even after he did us dirty and didn't want to come in the end because he got a better offer else where?

Double standards.
You got him meds!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 am

Double standards.
I was unaware Edwards played under the IL regime, Hardly jobs for the boys seeing as he cut ties with the club 24 years ago

Do you have 100% proof for your last comment?

I was under the impression that he didn't come due to IL not allowing him to bring in his own assistants/staff and also the fact that the club let Williams go as well IL not securing his signature, No wonder he went elsewhere, If he had signed I recon he would still be here now