George Williams

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
fozzieskem

Re: George Williams

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:43 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:49 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:01 pm

Rich people don't get rich by splashing the cash.
I agree,they tend to be very careful how they spend their money it amuses me that people think he will allow wild spending at the club when all that seems to have happened is the club going into a more careful mode of spending because of Covid etc
Time for a regime change then, No good being the biggest RL club in the world if the chairman wants to run it with bargain basement & project players, I know we probably can't afford a lot of big name players but we should at least be seen to be talking to them
And again who will,with sufficient funds going to take over?

Less money from last year

Less money this year

Reduced tv money from next season

No I’m sorry the club hasn’t,no let me rephrase that the sport hasn’t got the funds to be throwing cash about if the bloke at Warrington wants to let them it’s been spectacular in its success so far hasn’t it?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

cherry toffee wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm I agree with what your saying pieman but Dan 2266 posted that wigan were very concerned that Warrington were going to outbid them ,if wigan were only going to pay a certain price why would they be very concerned if someone bid higher?
that could happen with any club to be fair. Wigan may want him (subject to the how real the 1st refusal thingy is), but may not want to pay real big money at this present time. If he thinks he can get more at another club, and Wigan arent prepared to match that, then fair play to him. The other element with GW is that he is a Canberra player, and they may demand a fee for his release.

Another example is the signing of a prop (Lawler). Wigan were prepared to pay X for his services but Cas wanted him more so paid Y. Its then up to the player whether they just want to earn the best salary or decent salary and win things.

i have posted previously that i am not a fan of the salary cap and the restriction on players ability to earn good money (compared to other sports), but at the same time the clubs need to be able to afford those salaries, so current climate arent going to be chucking massive salaries at star players
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We are aware of Wire's salary elastic rimed Cap.
They are losing Austin and Widdop and it also maybe they have factored in the loss of Clarke. Those three could be the highest paid at the club. Although there are maximum amounts allowed under the cap it will be a much larger figure on their balance sheet.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

We should be fine to sign George now, I'm sure warrington will put all their cap towards signing Harry Kane!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Why would George join Wire when their beat players are leaving?
Widdop, Austin, Clarke, & Toby King are all likely to leave.
GW will be watching the results like us all and Wire just be seem to be on a downward spiral.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:44 pm Why would George join Wire when their beat players are leaving?
GW will be watching the results like us all and Wire just be seem to be on a downward spiral.
I suppose it's called 'money' ! Young lads only have a limited career so it's going to be a consideration.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Nezza Faz wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:13 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:44 pm Why would George join Wire when their beat players are leaving?
I suppose it's called 'money' ! Young lads only have a limited career so it's going to be a consideration.
It’s the biggest consideration for any player, always has been always will be.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

How does the first refusal thing work ?

Did he have to reject Wigan’s offer and then explore the market?

I think it’s a load of rubbish and guessing he has both offers still on the table.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:14 am How does the first refusal thing work ?

Did he have to reject Wigan’s offer and then explore the market?

I think it’s a load of rubbish and guessing he has both offers still on the table.
Wigan have the right to talk to him first whilst he is contracted to Canberra,

He can not sign for another club without speaking to Wigan about it, it is/was then up to Wigan to offer him a deal, if they don't want to offer him a deal he is then free to talk to other clubs.

Obviously they have offered him a deal, so technically speaking he has to reject that/Wigan completely before talking to other clubs, but there is nothing stopping another club contacting his agent and saying "we will pay this much"

The first refusal is basically Wigan saying "You cant sign for anyone else without letting us know prior to doing so, then its up to us if we want to offer you a deal or not"
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Going back to my earlier point about why would GW sign for Wire when their best players are leaving. Yeah, we all know about the money and short careers etc. Built in to any contract will be bonuses for making finals, winning them and all sorts of incentives. Plus there is likely to be an incremental factor written in the deal.

Wire seem to be all over the place at the moment. With those players leaving they will leave a large hole in the squad but also plenty money available to bring in new talent. Spending a substantial amount of that on one player surely would be misguided. Powell is at Wire 2022 so his advice on signings is crucial. He knows those who are leaving and those who are nearing the latter years of their playing careers. Powell has a real re-construction job to do at the HJ.

Doing a deal with GW and his agent will be delicate but we've heard the lad wants to play at Wigan. A good stint of negotiations might well see him sign for us with Wigan being the better club and the one he is more likely to win trophies at. Plus the money will be quite tidy too.