Joel Westerman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Joel Westerman

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Not a bad player overall, vastly experienced, but signing Westerman now doesn't say much for our future ambition IMO.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:14 pm
jaws1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:01 pm

He had a cracker tonight
When was the last time he had a “cracker”?
Christmas dinner
:lol: :lol: You rascal
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I’m going to go against the grain. I think the penny has dropped with the lad these last 12-18 months. He’s admitted he’d never been professional enough but he’s in much better shape now and he’s always been extremely talented. I think he can have a strong 3 or 4 years playing around the middle at the end of his career. He’s a big physical presence and bridges a gap between the youth we have in the middle and the lack of experience.

If the deal was right (I.e cheap) then I wouldn’t be against it. He’s had a 10+ year career in superleague and I think it may have taken all of those to make him wake up to the fact he’s wasted a lot of it.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 am I’m going to go against the grain. I think the penny has dropped with the lad these last 12-18 months. He’s admitted he’d never been professional enough but he’s in much better shape now and he’s always been extremely talented. I think he can have a strong 3 or 4 years playing around the middle at the end of his career. He’s a big physical presence and bridges a gap between the youth we have in the middle and the lack of experience.

If the deal was right (I.e cheap) then I wouldn’t be against it. He’s had a 10+ year career in superleague and I think it may have taken all of those to make him wake up to the fact he’s wasted a lot of it.
I’m with you Nicky, I think he could be a good pick up at the right price. We badly need someone to lead our young forwards and help them develop. We have bags of talent but if we are not careful they will never reach their potential. Together with another good astute front row signing we could see a major turn around.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:29 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 am I’m going to go against the grain. I think the penny has dropped with the lad these last 12-18 months. He’s admitted he’d never been professional enough but he’s in much better shape now and he’s always been extremely talented. I think he can have a strong 3 or 4 years playing around the middle at the end of his career. He’s a big physical presence and bridges a gap between the youth we have in the middle and the lack of experience.

I’m with you Nicky, I think he could be a good pick up at the right price. We badly need someone to lead our young forwards and help them develop. We have bags of talent but if we are not careful they will never reach their potential. Together with another good astute front row signing we could see a major turn around.
I thought that was the role Farrell and Bateman where going to play
Charriots Offiah

medlocke wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:13 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:29 pm

I thought that was the role Farrell and Bateman where going to play
I was referring to our young props, but yes Faz and Batty should also be pivotal in developing them. Andy Faz, during his time at the Club, had a significant role to play in developing our young forwards, I say get him back now!
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

I would include Isa and (not such a great idea now) Clubb would/should have been helping the juniors

Westerman is a big fish in a little pond. Looks very good with so many bang average players around him. Should we be looking to recruit him at 32?

Give you heads a wobble if you seriously think he would somehow improve this team.

Cas/Hull/Wire now Wakey. he is a journeyman who's best days were years ago
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Faz and Bateman are leaders and both are World Class back row forwards. It’s great for Morgan Smithies for example to be able to share those back row spots with them guys but we lack a physical presence and experience in the front row/middle of the field. Partington, Havard and Byrne are really promising but we lack some size and experience around them. I’d like to be able to drip those lads in and out of the side still and not expect them to have to play every single game, in the same side together.

There have been a history of players wasting their talent to a degree and Westerman has been one. There is also a history of the penny dropping with players later than it should’ve done. He’s a big physical presence, he’s vastly experienced and the lad is a real talent. He can play with the ball and in an environment like Wigan, I think he could just surprise a few.

I’m not desperate for us to go after him, I don’t even know if this is a rumour? But I wouldn’t see it outright shocking business if we did, like some seem to think.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Isn't westerman a poor man's lockers? Aka a ball playing loose forward?

I'm don't have much of an opinion on if this is true or not but I can see the club looking at it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:05 pm I would include Isa and (not such a great idea now) Clubb would/should have been helping the juniors

Westerman is a big fish in a little pond. Looks very good with so many bang average players around him. Should we be looking to recruit him at 32?

Give you heads a wobble if you seriously think he would somehow improve this team.

Cas/Hull/Wire now Wakey. he is a journeyman who's best days were years ago
Who would you sign, or would you continue with our current props?