Matty Peet / Shaun Wane

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Caboosegg

Re: Matty Peet / Shaun Wane

Post by Caboosegg »

We never played bad two weeks in a trot under Wane though, always had a reaction, after the Salford game you'd expect a reaction.

I don't think this rumour will happen though, mainly down to Wane liking to control everything.

(It chuckles me to see then waneball comments pop up. It's a lie, we didn't win what we did because of boring no risk rugby.)

Wigan under Wane where a well drilled, aggressive, motivated team who you could not write off in 99% of games, I remember plenty edge of your seat finishes.

The team was better balanced, Matthew Smith may not have been peoples cup of tea but he worked extremely well with; first Blake Green then Williams. our issues started when he left and we replaced him with a different type of half unbalacing the spine.

I'm not saying that Wane is the best coach around (although I'd argue he's the best English coach during his time at wigan) but he had a balanced team with talent splattered in the right areas and he managed to have a style that worked meaning we could compete consistently year on year.

Lam Currently has a majorly unbalanced team and although injuries have taken a toll we are still unbalanced with a mass of backs but no cover for the front, on top of this I get the impression that the team motivation isn't there.
I'm use to seeing players like Bateman screaming at everyone and then smashing into the line like a maniac trying to swing the momentum no matter how far behind we are, yesterday they had just given up, looking deflated behind the posts.

Our spine is a mess as well. Hastings and Tommy are to similar for me( Hastings is obviously better) both are known for taking on the line and positional play,this backed up with hardaker at fullback (defensive fullback) means we have no off the cuff danger, this could have been resolved by having Hastings and Smith as the havles and I personally would have had Tommy on the bench and subbed Powell out at 16-0 down due to Powells normally outstanding defence obviously doing nothing.

We also need a cheap big prop who can do damage, they don't even have to be amazing, the one plus so far has been we can out last our opponents, use a big heavy prop at the start, tire them out and then let the younger fitter props see the game out.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Sun May 30, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If the rumours are true about Wane, Peet and O'Loughlin taking over for next season then that makes Lam a "Lame Duck" coach. It's not possiself ble to work 100% for someone who no longer has any authority, been told they are leaving and who doesn't have a future at the club. There is only one outcome to turn things around quickly and that is the new coaching team need to take over immediately.

At half time we were fortunate to be only 16-0 down and after 10 mins of the 2nd half us being nilled seemed a real possibility. I don't about anyone else but IMO the scoreline reflected the game and we were embarrassed.

Under Shaun Wane we took some bad losses but we knew there would be a different performance next game. It was often commented on that if Wigan under Wane were beaten then no one wanted to be their next opponents. We do know absolutely that if the new coaches take over we are not going to win every game. Would be nice but we're not! What we do know is that next week will be a far better team than this week's which has been beaten. Can we say for certain that this better game will be on show at Huddersfield?

The new coaches will still have the same problems Lam has. Numerous injuries, self inflicted suspensions, restricted recruitment probably due to trying to bring George Williams back. A cheap big prop was mentioned but that money might not be available. London paying Hanks salary might be allowing us space under the cap for GW. What will change will be the player's attitude. Like most fans, I didn't see any attitude at Catalans.

IL/KR has some difficult decisions to make and I wish them well with good fortune because they'll need it to turn yesterday's shambles around.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:17 pm If the rumours are true about Wane, Peet and O'Loughlin taking over for next season then that makes Lam a "Lame Duck" coach.
Not thought of it like that but would give a reasonably good indication of player's attitude at the moment
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:38 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:17 pm If the rumours are true about Wane, Peet and O'Loughlin taking over for next season then that makes Lam a "Lame Duck" coach.
Not thought of it like that but would give a reasonably good indication of player's attitude at the moment
If that is their attitude then they should follow Lam through the door.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:08 pm We never played bad two weeks in a trot under Wane though, always had a reaction, after the Salford game you'd expect a reaction.

I don't think this will happen though mainly down to Wane likes to control everything.

Although it chuckles me to see then waneball comments pop up. It's a lie, we didn't win what we did because of boring no risk rugby.

Wigan under Wane where a well drilled, aggressive, motivated team who you could not write off in 99% of games, I remember plenty edge of your seat finishes.

The team was better balanced, Matthew Smith may.not have been peoples cup of tea but he worked extremely well with first Blake Green then Williams, our issues started when he left and we replaced him with a different type of half unbalacing the spine.

I'm not saying that Wane is the best coach around (although I'd argue he's the best English coach during his time at wigan) but he had a balanced team with talent splattered in the right areas and he managed to have a style that worked meaning we couldn't compete consistently year on year.

Lam Currently has a majority unbalanced team and although injuries have taken a top we are still majorly unbalanced with a mass of backs but no cover for the front on top of this I get the impression that the teams motivation isn't there. I'm use to seeing players like Bateman screaming at everyone and then smashing into the line like a maniac trying to swing the momentum no matter how far behind we are, yesterday they had just given up looking deflated behind the posts.

Our spine is a mess as well. Hastings and Tommy are to similar for me( Hastings is obviously better) both are known for taking on the line and positional play,this backed up with hardaker at fullback (defensive fullback) means we have no off the cuff danger, this could have been resolved by having Hastings and Smith as the havles. i would have had Tommy on the bench and subbed Powell out at 16-0 down as Powell normally outstanding defence is obviously doing nothing.

We also need a cheap big prop who can do damage, they don't even have to be amazing, the one plus so far has been we can out last our opponents, use a big heavy prop at the start, tire them out and then let the younger fitter props see the game out.
Excellent post
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:08 pm We never played bad two weeks in a trot under Wane though, always had a reaction, after the Salford game you'd expect a reaction.
That's not true though is it.

In the 2013 double winning season we suffered consecutive defeats on 3 different occasions.

In 2014 we lost to Huddersfield away then followed it up by getting knocked out the Challenge Cup in the quarters by Castleford. (That year we also backed up a tedious draw against Hull KR with a dreadful defeat away at Widnes).

In 2015 we suffered consecutive defeats to Hull KR and 42-14 at Castleford. Then in May that year we had a shocker losing in a cup game against Hull KR and followed it up with a 58-16 defeat away at Catalans.

Even in a very good title winning 2016 we lost 3 in a row in July including a cup semi final defeat to Hull FC.

In 2017 we drew at Huddersfield in March, then lost the next 3 games against Hull, Leeds and Cas.
Then at the end of April we lost 54-4 to Cas and got beaten by Salford the week later. We beat Swinton in the cup and managed a draw against Wire at Magic, then lost 4 games in a row against Saints, Wakey, Hull and had 50 points put on us by Leigh. Then after finding some form and putting a run together we lost to Cas in the Super 8's followed by defeat to Wakefield.

In 2018 we were easily beaten by Hull KR, then nilled by Wire in the cup, then easily beaten by Wakefield. We lost 6 games out of 9 in that period before going 10 games unbeaten to win the Grand Final.

And these are just the consecutive defeats rather than consecutive bad performances. We had countless games under Wane where we played poorly.

I haven't listed all the above to labour the point, I just got curious and checked the results from past years. When we play badly under Lam I often see comments like it would never happen under Wane but it did - it happened quite a lot.

Ultimately the difference between the two coaches hasn't been how we played under them during the regular season as it's been fairly similar, it's the fact that Wane had trophies to show for it and Lam hasn't.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Lam is the Head Coach he makes the team decisions.He does not make decisions on recruitment or sign the cheques. Yes we need some beef up front as we have lost two games both to big packs. There didn't seem to be much heart in the team on Saturdaybut I think the problem could lie elsewhere judging by the performances so far .
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

I would have thought the signings of French and Field would be down to Lam.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I think the issue here is that with Wane at least you knew what you were getting. You might not have liked the plan or the style, but you knew what brand of football was about to be served up. (I didn't mind it at all for the record).

With Lam I am still not sure what his "brand" is. Maybe he isn't either. He probably had an idea of the style of rugby that he wanted to play, probably fast and expansive, but he has been hit by injuries to the people that he was reliant upon.

There is no plan B as there wasn't really a plan A, more an aspiration as per above.

As for Lockers I totally agree with those that say he should go somewhere else to learn his trade.

The jobs for the boys culture must stop.

The state of RL in this country means that Wigan are in a very very privileged position when it comes to recruitment/development. No other club has a better player pool to choose from.

Frankly we should be way more dominant than we have been. Salary cap or no salary cap.

We need a coach that understands and can deliver under the obvious resulting pressure and expectation.
andystreacle19

Post by andystreacle19 »

;)