Small Updates.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Small Updates.

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:34 pm It’s all about the roles these lads are being signed to fulfil that we need to know before making sound judgment. If Thornley, Mason and this guy are coming in as starters, then we clearly are stripping back on costs and must have real financial issues. If they’re being signed to add the depth we’ve missed this season and we feel comfortable doing that because there will be reserve rugby next year, then it’s happy days.

Until we know that it’s hard to praise the club or criticise.
If we have real financial issues then the level of signings you mention will not cure it. There may be a saving on the salary cap but income vis the turnstiles and sponsorship will plummet. I don’t think for one minute that IFL will embark on a cost cutting exercise he is too competitive.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:01 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote:
WWRL wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:25 pm And apparently we’re linked with Abbas Miski?? Never heard of him but he’s playing for London Broncos. Could bring him and Hankinson back together
Winger who played at Manly. 25 years of age.
I think “played at Manly” is no doubt technically true but a regular first grade NRL player for Manly he wasn’t which could be misconstrued from the above statement. Edit: he played six games for them.
I said he played at Manly, I never mentioned being a regular.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 pm
NICKYKISS wrote:It’s all about the roles these lads are being signed to fulfil that we need to know before making sound judgment. If Thornley, Mason and this guy are coming in as starters, then we clearly are stripping back on costs and must have real financial issues. If they’re being signed to add the depth we’ve missed this season and we feel comfortable doing that because there will be reserve rugby next year, then it’s happy days.

I don’t get this notion we are signing players like Mason, Thornley and this bloke so we can field a reserve team.

First of all why would they sign to play primarily in the reserves?

We need a couple of props and centres for the first team which means at least as far as the pack goes the young props would drop down to be spelled between the reserves and first team as they should be so we would not need Mason.

We also have the academy production line to feed into the reserves.

So unfortunately these look more like first team signings to me and the last time the club kidded itself championship standard players we good enough we nearly ended up in it!
I’m in no way saying we’re signing them with the intention of them playing in the reserves but we may be more inclined to carry a slightly bigger squad if we have the reserves where they can play as and when needed. So you may have Thornley and Bibby (for example) fighting for one spot and then the other plays reserves. Maybe the same with Mason and Byrne fighting for one spot. We’ve stripped squad players out this season with there being no reserves but we’re paying for that lack of depth.

No player signs simply settling for being a reserve but players like Mason and Miski would absolutely sign under the knowledge that they’re likely to be outside the first 17 but have every opportunity to prove they’re worth a spot in that first team. They’re coming from Leigh and London and a move to Wigan in any form is a huge opportunity for them.

One thing we can’t forget is that reserves rugby and U19’s rugby will share players and some weeks there will be multiple games. We will absolutely need players dropping from the first team squad in to the reserves or we won’t fulfil fixtures. I’m hopeful because of that fact that these guys will be signed to both fight for a first 17 spot but provide back up if not selected and then drop in to the reserves because if they’re three players going straight in to the 17 you really have to worry how deep any financial issues are.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:34 pm It’s all about the roles these lads are being signed to fulfil that we need to know before making sound judgment. If Thornley, Mason and this guy are coming in as starters, then we clearly are stripping back on costs and must have real financial issues. If they’re being signed to add the depth we’ve missed this season and we feel comfortable doing that because there will be reserve rugby next year, then it’s happy days.

If we have real financial issues then the level of signings you mention will not cure it. There may be a saving on the salary cap but income vis the turnstiles and sponsorship will plummet. I don’t think for one minute that IFL will embark on a cost cutting exercise he is too competitive.
Correct and and hope you’re right on your last point. This squad lacks depth and I hope these three rumoured signings are being made to help cure that. We will need probably 3 signings at the other end of the spectrum to ensure have have enough quality in the first choice 17 and I hope the funds are there for that. There’s no doubt we’ll have the cap space but we also need the physical funds to use that space.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 pm
NICKYKISS wrote:It’s all about the roles these lads are being signed to fulfil that we need to know before making sound judgment. If Thornley, Mason and this guy are coming in as starters, then we clearly are stripping back on costs and must have real financial issues. If they’re being signed to add the depth we’ve missed this season and we feel comfortable doing that because there will be reserve rugby next year, then it’s happy days.

I don’t get this notion we are signing players like Mason, Thornley and this bloke so we can field a reserve team.

First of all why would they sign to play primarily in the reserves?

We need a couple of props and centres for the first team which means at least as far as the pack goes the young props would drop down to be spelled between the reserves and first team as they should be so we would not need Mason.

We also have the academy production line to feed into the reserves.

So unfortunately these look more like first team signings to me and the last time the club kidded itself championship standard players we good enough we nearly ended up in it!
Spot on.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

We will have to field a reserve team next year and will need a larger squad to accomodate it. This will require the recall of on-loan players and a few signings who need to be good enough for Super League and provide leadership to younger lads coming up from U19s.

Reserves will be good for the game and good for Wigan.

On Miski, IIRC he went OK for Lebanon in the last World Cup but how that sits with letting Manfredi go I'm not sure.

The one worrying thing is the abscence of class/solid signings for the first team.