Shaun Wane Potential role.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

The role loosely discussed at first would have seen Shaun Wane be in charge of recruitment, and first team affairs, as well as an active roll in the academy. he would discuss plans on players with the two coaches below him who would run the team, he would also have a role in the general running of the club. Radlinski would predominantly remain in his current (albeit adapted) role and would only get involved in recruitment when he is talking to the players/agents the "coaching group" have settled on.

I can say that now its out publicly about Wane's return, I do not however know what negotiations have been like and/or if another role has been settled on

This could play a massive part in the reset I was on about.

My confidence in those executing the plan was not great, simply because I did not think they would convince Shaun to return, my personal opinion was Wane would want to be head coach and nothing else.

One rumour that still persists is the addition of a relatively big name to join the set up who is currently not at the club. I believe this to be an ex player who will take up an ambassadorial / community role. Weather it happens or not remains to be seen.

Radlinski & Wane also spoke to George Williams yesterday. I do not know any details of what the call entailed.
Shaun Wane Legend

Re: Shaun Wane Potential role.

Post by Shaun Wane Legend »

Yesssss!! Bring Waney back. He has his detractors but he wins trophies. I’m sure he has missed being Wigan boss and will come back refreshed and determined to succeed. Can’t wait to see him back.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Shaun Wane Legend wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 am Yesssss!! Bring Waney back. He has his detractors but he wins trophies. I’m sure he has missed being Wigan boss and will come back refreshed and determined to succeed. Can’t wait to see him back.
If we want an ex-player to take up an ambassadorial/ community role why not offer this to Tommy L if we intend to keep him on the books when he has finished playing?
We seem to create coaching positions simply because people have been here a long time.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-20841712

Basically word for word what I said.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If he comes back in the role envisaged you can forget a top class coach coming to Wigan.

No top class coach worth his salt will want someone like Wane sticking his nose in.

I’ve never understood these “director of rugby” tote roles at other clubs for this reason.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:39 pm If he comes back in the role envisaged you can forget a top class coach coming to Wigan.

No top class coach worth his salt will want someone like Wane sticking his nose in.

I’ve never understood these “director of rugby” tote roles at other clubs for this reason.
Didn't Furner go to Leeds while Kevin sinfield was director of rugby.

The titles just a be whatever it needs to be keyholder.

I like the idea of Wane being involved in the recruitment and academy, he's been the talent scout before and look at the quality of players he brought through the academy.

However unless the head coach is someone coming from outside rugby league Edwards style (who would not have the RL coaching knowledge to be left without help at first) I actually agree with you.

Although for any upcoming assistants it could be a good jump, you do well take the credit. It goes wrong blame the interference.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:05 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:39 pm If he comes back in the role envisaged you can forget a top class coach coming to Wigan.

I like the idea of Wane being involved in the recruitment and academy, he's been the talent scout before and look at the quality of players he brought through the academy.

However unless the head coach is someone coming from outside rugby league Edwards style (who would not have the RL coaching knowledge to be left without help at first) I actually agree with you.

Although for any upcoming assistants it could be a good jump, you do well take the credit. It goes wrong blame the interference.
Didn’t Furner get the sack as soon as Sinfield came back?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:

I think several clubs have tried it and i’ve never understood it. It always looks to me like director of rugby implies less faith in the actual first team coach.

It depends on exactly what the role involves I suppose but if that MEN article is correct he’d have a hand in just about everything first team related. He’s no shrinking violet either so if he ended up giving media interviews offering his opinion on performances and similar i can’t see any established first team coach putting up with that.

Interestingly Sinfield has literally just left Leeds to go to RU and one reason he’s given is the role is too far away from rugby and performance. So it seems this role at Leeds was a long way off what is being described with relation to Wane even though Sinfield’s title was director of rugby.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I can't think of a club that has done well with a Director of rugby recently, although it seems to be a structure very common in rugby union. I've seen various titles such as 'Head of Rugby Performance' used to describe the position above the Head Coach.

It does seem to suggest we aren't going to replace Lam with a known coach and it would have to be someone who would be happy to work with that structure.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I just don't get the whole "Director of Rugby" thing.

Bad enough at the best of times, but with someone of Wane's character it surely can never work?