Shaun Wane Potential role.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Shaun Wane Potential role.

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Fujiman wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:37 am
DaveO wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:19 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:10 am Wane director of rugby and an Aussie coach for me.
I would settle for the Aussie coach. None of which would come here unless they could shape the squad as they wanted. Which with Wane (or anybody else) as director of rugby they probably couldn't.
My thoughts as well. Just imagine if they had a bad start there would be a clamour for Waney to get involved. Maybe all this talk has unsettled the club hence the poor performances lately.
They are professional sportsmen and they are paid to do a job which most are not.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I think Wane could take over now and everything would change, I’ve never been a massive fan the way wane played but we always had desire and determination under him that’s for sure. Just until the end of the season when a long term coach can be appointed
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I wouldn't mind that, but it doesn't look as if that is how it is shaping up. I'd have Waney back in a heart-beat, but if there's one thing we all know he is, that is that he isn't the kind of guy to play second-fiddle to anyone. He's on record about how impatient he was when assistant coach to Maguire, I can't see him wanting to put himself in that situation again at his time in life.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Not sure bringing Wane back would really help matters. Our biggest weakness right now is our uninspiring attacking play and it's the fact that we don't seem to have moved on from Wane's time here in that regard that's causing an issue.

Besides, this season has a feeling of our 2017 season and Wane couldn't do anything to turn that season around.

What Wigan should be doing is looking forward, not looking back. We should be looking outwards not inwards. Our recruitment policy for both players and staff seems to be overly nostalgic and insular and that really doesn't seem like a route to success.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

My biggest issue with what's going on is, I simply don't get excited or look forward to Wigan playing anymore. as much as it pains me to say Id rather watch a neutral game (as I did last night)

The other issue I have is the likes of Warrington, Hull FC & Castleford... they will all post similar losses to Wigan, but all you see and hear is them still recruiting at a good level. We are in danger of being left behind even more than we already have been. (I know we made a Semi last year and were the bounce/kick of a ball away from winning the GF) but since then we have/are losing Burgess, Gildart, Hastings & Probably French & Isa. So far we have recruited 2 Leigh players and Winger from the championship, I'm not writing those players off as they may well come good for us, but its far from inspiring is it?

I have said previous what the plan was/is in regards to recruitment for 2022, then go bigger in 2023/2024, I fear by then it will be far too late. We can not afford to carry on going backwards at the rate we are.

Like you all rightly say, its nonsensical the idea of offering a poor product and expecting the fans to still flock back post Covid.

I really am worried for the future of this once great club.

PS I've not heard anything of any plans to sack Lam, I personally believe he will be let go at the end of the season. However, there may well be (almost certainly) on goings that I'm not aware of regards to a lot of things.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Dan2266 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:33 am My biggest issue with what's going on is, I simply don't get excited or look forward to Wigan playing anymore. as much as it pains me to say Id rather watch a neutral game (as I did last night)

The other issue I have is the likes of Warrington, Hull FC & Castleford... they will all post similar losses to Wigan, but all you see and hear is them still recruiting at a good level. We are in danger of being left behind even more than we already have been. (I know we made a Semi last year and were the bounce/kick of a ball away from winning the GF) but since then we have/are losing Burgess, Gildart, Hastings & Probably French & Isa. So far we have recruited 2 Leigh players and Winger from the championship, I'm not writing those players off as they may well come good for us, but its far from inspiring is it?

I have said previous what the plan was/is in regards to recruitment for 2022, then go bigger in 2023/2024, I fear by then it will be far too late. We can not afford to carry on going backwards at the rate we are.

Like you all rightly say, its nonsensical the idea of offering a poor product and expecting the fans to still flock back post Covid.

PS I've not heard anything of any plans to sack Lam, I personally believe he will be let go at the end of the season. However, there may well be (almost certainly) on goings that I'm not aware of regards to a lot of things.
Warrington are raiding Castleford I'd hardly call that inspiring just Powell keeping his comfort zone.

Other than Williams who have Warrington, Hull FC & Castleford signed that in a normal none covid world you'd consider?

Westerman wouldn't have even been looked at last year, sign of the market.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:32 am
Dan2266 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:33 am My biggest issue with what's going on is, I simply don't get excited or look forward to Wigan playing anymore. as much as it pains me to say Id rather watch a neutral game (as I did last night)

Warrington are raiding Castleford I'd hardly call that inspiring just Powell keeping his comfort zone.

Other than Williams who have Warrington, Hull FC & Castleford signed that in a normal none covid world you'd consider?

Wire - Matautia, Holmes, Williams. all 3 would walk into our side.

Cas - Westerman walks into our side. trying to sign Sneyd, walks into our side.

Hull FC - Chairman has indicated he will invest. Retaining their top OOC players and not losing them to rival clubs.

Satae - The exact type of prop Wigan need and we were nowhere near even enquiring even though he was OOC.

Other clubs seem to have their house in order. We do not.

The biggest club in the country being made to look like a laughing stock.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The last few seasons recruiting seemed good to excellent on paper to me. A host of exciting and big name players.

Next year doesn't look too good at the moment. But I'm not sure it's the end of a once great club.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Dan2266 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:39 am

Hull FC - Chairman has indicated he will invest. Retaining their top OOC players and not losing them to rival clubs.

Satae - The exact type of prop Wigan need and we were nowhere near even enquiring even though he was OOC.

sorry got to disagree that all those named above would walk straight into our side. last night maybe, when we are down on numbers

put our strongest 17 out there and they wouldnt get into the team, so have to disagree

Satae i will agree on however as he has looked a cracking prop what i have seen on him this year, and absolutely believe we should have at worst made an enquiry
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

the pieman wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:09 am
Dan2266 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:39 am

sorry got to disagree that all those named above would walk straight into our side. last night maybe, when we are down on numbers

put our strongest 17 out there and they wouldnt get into the team, so have to disagree

Satae i will agree on however as he has looked a cracking prop what i have seen on him this year, and absolutely believe we should have at worst made an enquiry
I'm on about walk into our side for 2022 bearing in mind the players we are losing