Recruitment.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ddtftf

Re: Recruitment.

Post by ddtftf »

Benjie Marshal we have made an approach as organising half back
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

ddtftf wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am Benjie Marshal we have made an approach as organising half back
Would point towards Issues with Jacob Miller getting a release from Wakey then.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:55 am
ddtftf wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am Benjie Marshal we have made an approach as organising half back
Is it me or does our recruitment seem all over the place?

From Williams to Flanagan to Miller to Marshall

Putting an offer in for Greg Eden when we have Marshall, Abbas Bibby, no news of any further wingers and not prioritizing a quality centre
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:05 am

Putting an offer in for Greg Eden when we have Marshall, Abbas Bibby, no news of any further wingers and not prioritizing a quality centre
I said a while ago 2023 was when we would go big and have plans in place for.

To me, It almost seems like the club have realised they need to do something now for 2022 to keep fans onside, So they are heading out with no real plan and are just trying to sign who ever they think they have a reasonable chance of landing, even if its not a position we are short of options in.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Think it’s more to do with the guess work and nature of the rumours that it all over the place, not necessarily the recruitment plans.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

We were Scouting a young lad in the championship, a winger but had concerns over his pace, so it went no further

They are deffo looking at signing a winger.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:14 am

I said a while ago 2023 was when we would go big and have plans in place for.

To me, It almost seems like the club have realised they need to do something now for 2022 to keep fans onside, So they are heading out with no real plan and are just trying to sign who ever they think they have a reasonable chance of landing, even if its not a position we are short of options in.
Whilst that makes sense on one side of the argument, who are they planning on getting in 2023 and in what positions?

We have signed Miski, Ellis, Mago and Thornley (according to rumours)
Extended contracts for Powell, Bibby, Isa

We know Hastings is leaving so will he will either need replacing for 2022 (If Field and Smith not deemed good enough) or 2023 (When Field leaves).

For 2023 I imagine we will need to replace French, Field, Hardaker (maybe) and who else is out of contract?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:59 am

We were Scouting a young lad in the championship, a winger but had concerns over his pace, so it went no further

Could this be because they see Bibby as a Centre? Or we view Abbas as backup winger and need another start alongside Marshall?

Bibby and Thornley as centres if we lose Hardaker as well?

It just seems all over the place to me.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm

Could this be because they see Bibby as a Centre? Or we view Abbas as backup winger and need another start alongside Marshall?

you're right, it does seem all over the place, which is why I think they are reacting to the current situation without pre planning and are looking off the cuff for players as such.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:19 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm

you're right, it does seem all over the place, which is why I think they are reacting to the current situation without pre planning and are looking off the cuff for players as such.
The outcome of not having a plan in place is that our panic signings for next season could end up making planning for the future more difficult. A senior half on a two year contract might be a good idea.
Even with the new signings our pack could still do with more grunt as our recruitment is not even replacing like for like. But hey, two forwards who are picked to play are better than two who are not.
Unfortunately I cannot see where Field is going to end up and we could end up losing our few decent prospects like KPP and Havard now that we have killed off the spark that made Harry Smith such a good prospect.