Matt Peet New Head Coach 2022

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Matt Peet New Head Coach 2022

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:25 am I must admit I can’t see Wane sipping on a mug of tea and having a digestive if the side goes on a losing run as they did this season,he’d be stuck in of that I’m sure
That's what bothers me think they are bringing him in back door ready to move down stairs. Because. Don't be surprised if lam stays. I also not looking at it as matty a cheap option imo always the plan for someone be front man with wane pulling strings as I have to ask the question what are they paying for a job they have created for wane who quite clearly can't stop coaching its in his blood. After saying all that I'm not happy if that happens just feel the club is hell bent on old boys club and imo taking club backwards fast
bertina

Post by bertina »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 pm
Smithy82 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:05 pm Adrian lam leaving at end of season and matt peet will be new head coach and shaun wane will be returning but he will be going up stairs
Shaun Wane has already returned. He is in the job already. Just not officially.
Not wanting to sound negative, but, if Matty Peet has overall control of team affairs as head coach, why do we need Shaun Wane. If Shaun Wane is going to have overall control from upstairs, then why do we need Matty Peet. It would drive Shaun Wane bonkers sitting upstairs letting someone take decisions he disagrees with. Its just his nature. At the moment i'm struggling to see how this would work.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Head coach

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mauny6 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:29 am IF ADRIAM LAM GOES AT THE END OF THE YEAR WHO IS RUNOURED TO BE REPLACING HIM.
See above topic.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

If Wane is in the job already, whats he doing? And if he is whats Rads doing?. There's also talk of TL joining coaching staff next year. How many coaches do we need? . I would have thought all this money would be better spent on players?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Graham1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:02 pm If Wane is in the job already, whats he doing? And if he is whats Rads doing?. There's also talk of TL joining coaching staff next year. How many coaches do we need? . I would have thought all this money would be better spent on players?
Recruitment & helping to plan the structure for the future
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:36 pm
Graham1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:02 pm If Wane is in the job already, whats he doing? And if he is whats Rads doing?. There's also talk of TL joining coaching staff next year. How many coaches do we need? . I would have thought all this money would be better spent on players?
Will wane have main control over recruitment Dan. I don't mean financially but by who we bring in.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 pm If true its a cheap option and not very inspiring. If he wants to be a head coach then go and learn the ropes at a championship side first.

Wigan needs a coach with some new ideas but I suspect few would entertain the job after Edwards walked away because he couldn’t bring in his own fitness team. Peet will no doubt accept whatever is on offer.
I find it fascinating that you peddle any Anti IL/KR line you can.

Edwards and his fitness team for example.

I suppose you believe Edwards side of the Wales drama before he moved to France?

Questions

Has our fitness been an issue at all this season despite us supposedly doing it on cheap?

Can't say I'm to inspired by him as a head coach idea but I'd say he's earned a chance, it's not like a Saint scenario where he had barely done any coaching

Matty Peet:

Matt Peet has spent over ten years at the Club, working in a range of coaching positions with the Academy, Reserves and now first team.

He coached the England Academy for four years including tour of Australia in 2016.

At the end of 2018, Peet left his position as Warriors head of youth to join Sale Sharks as head of performance.

He returned to Wigan in May 2019 as assistant coach with the first team, tasked primarily with coaching defence.
What our fitness has been like this season is irrelevant if Edwards not being able to bring in his own team contributed to his decision not to take the job. Wigan could have been the fittest sports team on the planet but that would still be irreverent if Edwards couldn’t assemble his own back room team and walked away because of it.

Regardless of Edwards I can think of another reason why no coach would come here. The notion that Wane is director of rugby. Who would want an opinionated ex coach as part of the set up?

The fact Peet has been part of the system under Wane and Lam does not suggest we are going to get anything different and like someone else said the idea Wane will keep his nose out of it if things go wrong is far fetched.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Who's to say Peet won't bring his own ideas of how the team should play which hopefully will be an improvement on Lam and able to bring trophies to the club as Waney did.
He will be head coach when it's the club's 150th Anniversary. Trophies would be appreciated by the B.O.D. I expect.
We will have a big mobile and I'd expect a dominant pack, the backs have three of the fastest players in SL.
I do suspect that we'll see a different style of rugby with Matty in charge and I'm looking forward to it already. Although it's rumour up to now.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:15 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:36 pm
Will wane have main control over recruitment Dan. I don't mean financially but by who we bring in.
As far as Im aware he will head a “recruitment panel” so he will have major input.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Peet with Lockers and Tommy as his assistants.