Matt Peet New Head Coach 2022

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Matt Peet New Head Coach 2022

Post by DaveO »

If true its a cheap option and not very inspiring. If he wants to be a head coach then go and learn the ropes at a championship side first.

Wigan needs a coach with some new ideas but I suspect few would entertain the job after Edwards walked away because he couldn’t bring in his own fitness team. Peet will no doubt accept whatever is on offer.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 pm If true its a cheap option and not very inspiring. If he wants to be a head coach then go and learn the ropes at a championship side first.

Wigan needs a coach with some new ideas but I suspect few would entertain the job after Edwards walked away because he couldn’t bring in his own fitness team. Peet will no doubt accept whatever is on offer.
I find it fascinating that you peddle any Anti IL/KR line you can.

Edwards and his fitness team for example.

I suppose you believe Edwards side of the Wales drama before he moved to France?

Questions

Has our fitness been an issue at all this season despite us supposedly doing it on cheap?

Can't say I'm to inspired by him as a head coach idea but I'd say he's earned a chance, it's not like a Saint scenario where he had barely done any coaching

Matty Peet:

Matt Peet has spent over ten years at the Club, working in a range of coaching positions with the Academy, Reserves and now first team.

He coached the England Academy for four years including tour of Australia in 2016.

At the end of 2018, Peet left his position as Warriors head of youth to join Sale Sharks as head of performance.

He returned to Wigan in May 2019 as assistant coach with the first team, tasked primarily with coaching defence.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
doc

Post by doc »

So where does John Winder stand in all this upheaval of the coaching staff?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

doc wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:45 pm So where does John Winder stand in all this upheaval of the coaching staff?
He’s contract is up at the end of the season too!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

This is similar to when Waney took over from McGuire.
Doubts about his ability to do the top job despite years of being with the club in scouting and coaching at all levels bar first team. Although Waney had been asst to McGuire for two seasons the doubts were there.

Matty Peet is very similar in background and I don't see Wigan's coaching set up as being done on the cheap. Peet will have his own salary, then there's his assts, Lockers and presumably Tommy L in due course plus Goulding. The depaartures at this stage appear to be Lam and Winder.

If Matty Peet can win as much as Waney and hopefully more, then we are in for a great time being Wigan supporters.

Good Luck Matty, hope you succeed big time!
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 pm If true its a cheap option and not very inspiring. If he wants to be a head coach then go and learn the ropes at a championship side first.

Spot on pal, more jobs for the boys. We need a change or it’ll be more of the same.
Mauny6

Head coach

Post by Mauny6 »

IF ADRIAM LAM GOES AT THE END OF THE YEAR WHO IS RUNOURED TO BE REPLACING HIM.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Tricky one this. Initial thoughts are it's a cheap and practical solution if Lam is going.

I suppose there is some scope in Peet spending so much time coaching the youth set up, I'm presuming the outlook is we have another Shaun Wane?

If Peet has developed current first team players from youth, its possible he might be what we need.

I'm a huge advocate of Lam, but I'd be the first to say we could and maybe should have signed a more experienced/established head coach.

Working off what others have said, I think it's either going to be a match made in heaven or a complete disaster! Personally, I think we need to keep options open, surely Peet can't be the only name in the hat if the club are 100% certain Lam is out?
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

It’s a big job whoever takes over, as there are still a lot of players leaving the club at the end of season. Massive difference in expectations in coaching the Academy than first team especially at Wigan in its 150 anniversary year. Also he has no experience as a head coach, financially we may have to appoint him as no doubt the club has lost money through Covid-19 and judging by last Fridays gate continues to do so.

Wish him well but unfortunately don’t expect our style of play to change as there are too many old boys working alongside him. It would have been good for someone new to come in with new ideas and connections.

As for Wane moving upstairs and not being involved in coaching find that difficult to believe, especially as he said he missed coaching before he got the England job.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I must admit I can’t see Wane sipping on a mug of tea and having a digestive if the side goes on a losing run as they did this season,he’d be stuck in of that I’m sure