DW Stadium

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: DW Stadium

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:06 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:59 pm Warriors will leave, the plan a couple of years ago was to have a new stadium a bit like Bolton's, IE retail park around the ground, units on land owned by Wigan... charge companies rent to put their business in the units and that would cover the majority of the cost over time.

I'm sure the plan will have changed but I'm not privy to it
I feel they need to,while some will jump on posts like this and argue the point a club doesn’t need to own it’s own stadium I’ve always felt it should,look at the issues Hull are clearly having with their masters of the stadium it can easily happen to Wigan.

That said owning a stadium is a huge asset otherwise what are Wigan really?a few tackle bags and fancy gym equipment and a long lease at robin park,it can’t Instill confidence if they ever looked for investment?
No I agree think we do need our own stadium. Like Dan says we have looked at land there was plans for one in marus bridge. The problem I think the council are not keen on 2 stadiums and will make it difficult. Money is also a problem unless this was reason new investor was brought in. I am also glad we did not buy dw its a white elephant with plenty of serious problems and soulless. They can put any colour seats in they want won't change a thing. Sooner have a great Wigan side than a stadium of our own think at moment we have bigger problems than owning a ground.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:20 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:15 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:06 pm

I feel they need to,while some will jump on posts like this and argue the point a club doesn’t need to own it’s own stadium I’ve always felt it should,look at the issues Hull are clearly having with their masters of the stadium it can easily happen to Wigan.

That said owning a stadium is a huge asset otherwise what are Wigan really?a few tackle bags and fancy gym equipment and a long lease at robin park,it can’t Instill confidence if they ever looked for investment?
Danson is onboard for a reason, what that reason is, nobody knows. he's part of Lenegans company as it stands but it is 100% related to the Warriors.

The dream for me is I would love to see a stadium a bit like the Keepmoat (Doncaster) but on a slightly larger scale capacity wise and slightly more enclosed with seats closer to the pitch to give it that intimidating feel. Will probably never happen. The DW is too open for me.
I agree even the Haliwell Jones would do along those lines the DW is a collection of stands nothing more and it feels like a football ground,your right though the Keepmoat does seem to have great atmosphere the times I’ve been to it

Danson as you say has come on board for a reason,other than not to bankroll the playing side I do feel they made a serious play for the DW when they couldn’t find a buyer and maybe it’s led to this friction,just a guess in my part though.
All signs point in that direction anyway
FortressCentralPark

Post by FortressCentralPark »

Any ideas of timescale for getting New Central Park? Hopefully the club were planning on sooner rather than later
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:59 pm Warriors will leave, the plan a couple of years ago was to have a new stadium a bit like Bolton's, IE retail park around the ground, units on land owned by Wigan... charge companies rent to put their business in the units and that would cover the majority of the cost over time.

That is absolute bullshit.

For Wigan RL to build a ground it would need planning permission. For companies to to build their premises on that land Wigan would need to own the land to make them pay rent AND would again would need planning permission.

When the likes of the John Smiths, Reebok, Halliwell Jones, Langtree Park were built it was on the back of European grants and big Supermarket chains. Guess what we've left Europe.

The building cost alone now for a new stadium would be around £30 million minimum, where's that going to come from?

I'll be at the academy game on Saturday, drop me a pm and I'll meet you to discuss what we know and who we know?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:07 pm

For Wigan RL to build a ground it would need planning permission. For companies to to build their premises on that land Wigan would need to own the land to make them pay rent AND would again would need planning permission.

When the likes of the John Smiths, Reebok, Halliwell Jones, Langtree Park were built it was on the back of European grants and big Supermarket chains. Guess what we've left Europe.

The building cost alone now for a new stadium would be around £30 million minimum, where's that going to come from?

I'll be at the academy game on Saturday, drop me a pm and I'll meet you to discuss what we know and who we know?
Number 1 - thats not bullshit

Number 2 - It WAS the plan to be explored.

Number 3 - I didn't say it was anywhere near happening

Number 4 - I said a couple of years ago.

Number 5 - They could of bought land and got planning permission.

Number 6 - go to bed.

Im not playing top trumps on who we know and what we know. Im also not revealing who I know.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:43 pm

Number 6 - go to bed.

Im not playing top trumps on who we know and what we know. Im also not revealing who I know.
I'll call you out AGAIN bullshit.

I'll be there on Saturday, will you?

"Could of "? Which school did you abscond from?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Why does it always get petty with people calling Dan out?

If he knows someone and shares great, if people call bullshit great but keep it to yourself instead of calling him out! how’s about stop reading his posts and stick to web warriors instead of frequenting THE RUMOUR MILL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:20 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:43 pm

Number 6 - go to bed.

I'll call you out AGAIN bullshit.

I'll be there on Saturday, will you?

"Could of "? Which school did you abscond from?
No, I wont be there Saturday, you must be a better fan than me :cry: :cry: :cry:

"Could of" - are we really picking at things like that.

Wigan had discussions about possibly buying land, building a ground and retail units on the land they owned.

yes you are right, a lot of groundwork and planning and cost and permissions will of needed to be thought about, but that was the plan they were thinking of exploring. the companies that they charged rent to use the units on the lad would slowly but surely recover most of the cost of the build. In effect would pay any loan they needed.

I don't know how advanced it got but it was talked about. That is all I said.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wes wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:32 pm Why does it always get petty with people calling Dan out?

If he knows someone and shares great, if people call bullshit great but keep it to yourself instead of calling him out! how’s about stop reading his posts and stick to web warriors instead of frequenting THE RUMOUR MILL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm wondering that myself now, agree with me or disagree I really don't care, I just share things when the times right and add to conversation If I can, nothing I post on here has came from me, its all from within the club and sometimes Super League. I often now say "in my opinion" to avoid confusion and being further called out if my opinion on a matter later turns out wrong.

Its like a lot of folk are just desperate to argue, not just with me either.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Oh goody, A tallywhacker measuring competition is on the cards :?